Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Revisiting Hebrew 6:4-6

Re: Revisiting Hebrew 6:4-6

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    I can identify with that too. I suppose we have all seen them. However, the writer's reference to believers is the saved, not the phoney category we are talking about. Those who profess Christ yet live worldly lives are those Paul described as "having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof (2 Tim 3:5) and "ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth (2 Tim 3:7).
    This hurts more than I can say, but I speak of my own father, who is now dead. His father was a committed Christian. My mother was raised a pagan, but had Christian relatives, and chose to become a Christian at some point in her young life. My father and mother met while going to a Lutheran University. But I don't believe my father was ever saved. Why, you ask?

My father was a respectable man of the world. Lived by the 10 Commandments, but never said a word about Jesus outside of church on Sundays. On Sundays he directed the choir, played the organ, taught the adult Bible study, and we attended church every single week of our lives!

But every other day of the week my father was involved in worldly activities. He was a good career man, but he was in a number of clubs, and was always the biggest talker, lighting up the room with *worldly humor.* He did not distinguish between Christian and nonChristian. They were all the same to him.

I can't say my father did a lot of evil things. But when I repented, in my adolescence, of the sins of the world, drinking, drugs, theft, immorality, it didn't seem my Dad was impressed. He didn't seem to like the "Jesus" thing I had gotten into. He seems to have liked me better when I was "in the world."

I'll cut this short. I just want you to know that this is very close to me. I knew my father very well. I still respect him. But I can't say he was saved. He was a Christian on Sundays, and worldly the rest of the time. He had no place for Jesus for the greater part of his life.

He was in church by inertia, I think, from the tradition of his own father. It got him a wife and family. And it got him good jobs, and tons of friends. Christianity worked out well for him, as a means to an end. But he was not at all interested in being a "Jesus" persons. I trust you'll understand. I have *many* such examples. This is just one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    This hurts more than I can say, but I speak of my own father, who is now dead.

1Co 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    1Co 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?
    Yes, my Christian mother remained faithful to my nominally Christian father all of his life. He did live by the 10 Commandments. But the object is to *get saved!* I can honestly say that before I committed to Jesus my father sort of "loved" me. But after I committed to Jesus, he seemed to hate me. I felt it was a hatred more for the Lord, than for me. He didn't like the kind of spirituality that broke out of the confines of the church on Sundays.

Blog Entries

This hurts more than I can say, but I speak of my own father, who is now dead. His father was a committed Christian. My mother was raised a pagan, but had Christian relatives, and chose to become a Christian at some point in her young life. My father and mother met while going to a Lutheran University. But I don't believe my father was ever saved. Why, you ask?

My father was a respectable man of the world. Lived by the 10 Commandments, but never said a word about Jesus outside of church on Sundays. On Sundays he directed the choir, played the organ, taught the adult Bible study, and we attended church every single week of our lives!

But every other day of the week my father was involved in worldly activities. He was a good career man, but he was in a number of clubs, and was always the biggest talker, lighting up the room with *worldly humor.* He did not distinguish between Christian and nonChristian. They were all the same to him.

I can't say my father did a lot of evil things. But when I repented, in my adolescence, of the sins of the world, drinking, drugs, theft, immorality, it didn't seem my Dad was impressed. He didn't seem to like the "Jesus" thing I had gotten into. He seems to have liked me better when I was "in the world."

I'll cut this short. I just want you to know that this is very close to me. I knew my father very well. I still respect him. But I can't say he was saved. He was a Christian on Sundays, and worldly the rest of the time. He had no place for Jesus for the greater part of his life.

He was in church by inertia, I think, from the tradition of his own father. It got him a wife and family. And it got him good jobs, and tons of friends. Christianity worked out well for him, as a means to an end. But he was not at all interested in being a "Jesus" persons. I trust you'll understand. I have *many* such examples. This is just one.
    Brother, you might think you are alone on this but you're not. I suppose the regret of seeing our loved ones play with the sacrifice of Christ on the cross, in part, is the catalyst spurring us to be better Christians they were.

Blog Entries

Yes, my Christian mother remained faithful to my nominally Christian father all of his life. He did live by the 10 Commandments. But the object is to *get saved!* I can honestly say that before I committed to Jesus my father sort of "loved" me. But after I committed to Jesus, he seemed to hate me. I felt it was a hatred more for the Lord, than for me. He didn't like the kind of spirituality that broke out of the confines of the church on Sundays.
    I've witnessed what you described here in a couple from church. After many years of marriage and resisting what he termed "Jesus do-gooders", the husband finally followed his wife (who's been a born again for donkey years) to church. A few years later, the husband after finding Christ totally became a different person. Sadly, in contrast, the wife hasn't changed one bit and continued on her part Christian, part worldly lifestyle.

Suffice that when the husband was in the world, he didn't know better and didn't see anything wrong with his wife's lifestyle. But when he came to faith, he realised that his wife was not true to the calling of Christ. Thereafter, cracks began to appear in their hitherto, happy marriage. Suddenly, the wife started fomenting trouble, why? Because her husband's righteous exemplary lifestyle highlighted her own failings! So instead of changing her to lifestyle to emulate Christ, she wanted to drag her husband down to her level so she will no longer be ashamed of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    I've witnessed what you described here in a couple from church. After many years of marriage and resisting what he termed "Jesus do-gooders", the husband finally followed his wife (who's been a born again for donkey years) to church. A few years later, the husband after finding Christ totally became a different person. Sadly, in contrast, the wife hasn't changed one bit and continued on her part Christian, part worldly lifestyle.

Suffice that when the husband was in the world, he didn't know better and didn't see anything wrong with his wife's lifestyle. But when he came to faith, he realised that his wife was not true to the calling of Christ. Thereafter, cracks began to appear in their hitherto, happy marriage. Suddenly, the wife started fomenting trouble, why? Because her husband's righteous exemplary lifestyle highlighted her own failings! So instead of changing her to lifestyle to emulate Christ, she wanted to drag her husband down to her level so she will no longer be ashamed of herself.
    Yes, this is *exactly* was I meant! Thank you!

Thread Information