Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things God Cannot Do and Doesn't Know

Things God Cannot Do and Doesn't Know

Came across this some time ago and thought I would share for others to ponder over.

Three Things God Can't Do

He cannot lie.
    He cannot learn.
    He cannot force you to love Him.

Four Things God Doesn't Know

He doesn't know a sin He doesn't hate.
    He doesn't know a sinner He doesn't love.
    He doesn't know an alternate path to His Throne but through His son.
    He doesn't know a better time to accept Him than now!

Re: Things God Cannot Do and Doesn't Know

It makes for a cute poem, but the truth is God can do anything He "wants" to do. God can lie. But He's God enough not to.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    It makes for a cute poem, but the truth is God can do anything He "wants" to do. God can lie. But He's God enough not to.
    Is it impossible for God to sin? Or is it possible and he chooses not to!

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Sin is other than what God is.

You conveniently picked one off the list. But stating what you did, you must not believe the Bible. Several times in the Tanakh (OT) it says that He cannot lie. So your problem is not with the "cute poem", but scripture itself.

How does that play out for the other two on the list of things that God can't do? And how does it play out for things God Doesn't Know? Are you able to dismiss them so easily?

God will not force you to love Him, but without His love for you, you cannot love. If you are the loved of God, you will love Him back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You conveniently picked one off the list. But stating what you did, you must not believe the Bible. Several times in the Tanakh (OT) it says that He cannot lie. So your problem is not with the "cute poem", but scripture itself.

How does that play out for the other two on the list of things that God can't do? And how does it play out for things God Doesn't Know? Are you able to dismiss them so easily?
    In fairness to Jesusinmylife, he does believe the Bible. I know because Ive known him for years in various forums, chat with him on the phone frequently and know the good church he attends. We cannot remember every verse.

And not surprisingly, Got Questions has a good page on this.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

So disagreeing with a Cute Poem equates to not believing the Bible. Well, Isn't THAT convenient. To quote the Church Lady.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Regarding your second point.
    In light of your last post clearly stating God can not lie.
    This is also from the Tanahk.
    Genesis 22:12

12 “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

Now I know. So, God learned something about Abraham.

The list of "things that God can't do" is related only to God's interaction -- that He has chosen -- with creation.

Nothing limits God's free agency or sovereignty. Any limitations are self-imposed, as anything God does is, well, godly and holy.

And here's another learning experience. This one from the New Testament.

Hebrews 5:7-9

7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8 Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

Came across this some time ago and thought I would share for others to ponder over.

He cannot lie.
    He cannot learn.

It is true that God cannot lie:

Tit 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

God cannot learn. He is already perfect in knowledge and is without sin:

Deu 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He.

God cannot force you to love Him?

God is the almighty power over all things in this world, and His wondrous works are according to His good will and grace.

For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: (Deut 10:17).

The number of times that He has directed and changed the course of kings and nations in Old Testament times would be impossible to count! He even commands the rain and earth to perform His mighty judgments.

We are given the free will to believe or not to believe and therefore can receive the promise of eternal life in Him. There are many ways though in which we are not free. We are housed in this body of flesh. We are subject to death. God alone determines the number of our days. (Job 14:4) Time and chance happen to all.

We can not search out or know the mind of God except what He has revealed to us in His words. Understanding comes only from revelation.

Isa 55:9,11
    For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts...So shall My word be that goeth forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the things whereto I sent it.

Regarding your second point.
    In light of your last post clearly stating God can not lie.
    This is also from the Tanahk.
    Genesis 22:12

12 Do not lay a hand on the boy, he said. Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.

Now I know. So, God learned something about Abraham.
    "Now I know" is a figure of speech. What belongs to man is attributed to God. It is not literal. Figures of speech are used to emphasize what is being said.

Isa 46:9* Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,*
    Isa 46:10* Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure

He cannot lie.
    He cannot learn.

These are just statements to make one think. If we are to take seriously logical inconsistencies with regard to God, we recognize that we're not placing limitations upon an infinite God. Rather, we're just saying that God cannot be other than God.

In reality, all of these statements can be qualified by things that might otherwise prove them false. For example, God does not love all sinners in the sense of loving those who choose sin. The Bible said that God "hated Esau." That is, God hated the man who chose a bowl of stew over His own righteousness.

Some things that God cannot do as the Father He *can do* through the agency of His Son. For example, in causing His Word to be revealed in flesh, He enabled the Son to "learn." So in a sense, yes, God can "learn."

Some of these things are fun to consider. Short sayings like this do serve a good purpose in that they remind us of who God is, and what He is faithful to be.

Quote Originally Posted by verity View Post
    "Now I know" is a figure of speech. What belongs to man is attributed to God. It is not literal. Figures of speech are used to emphasize what is being said.

Isa 46:9* Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,*
    Isa 46:10* Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure
    Just curious. Those scriptures in your signature, are they figures of speech too?
    Where do we draw the line on what God said vs. what we "think" He meant?

Thread Information