Hey Slug! How's about an update?
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Guitar building, ahhhh Guitar anything thread

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Hey Slug! How's about an update?
    None... she sits in pieces. I just have to MAKE time...
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

This afternoon I carefully Dremeled out the shape of the CIB in the headstock and glued in the miniature CIB. Looks better than I thought it would since I free handed the embedding carve.

Kech, looks like I'll be going with the black pick guard... later I will scroll out the diamond plate.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Have any of you played guitar through a Marshall 100watt Stack ? I once played through a half stack and thought is was good fun .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    This afternoon I carefully Dremeled out the shape of the CIB in the headstock and glued in the miniature CIB. Looks better than I thought it would since I free handed the embedding carve.

Kech, looks like I'll be going with the black pick guard... later I will scroll out the diamond plate.
    Get a muliti-layered one. Less static.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Have any of you played guitar through a Marshall 100watt Stack ? I once played through a half stack and thought is was good fun .
    I used to play a LP and an SG through a VOX AC100 hooked to a 4 speaker cab. It sounded pretty good.

Of course now I canít hear anything over 6Khz, but hey....details....
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Get a muliti-layered one. Less static.
    The one I have is of 3 layers, black/white/black.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    The one I have is of 3 layers, black/white/black.
    Perfect. I had a black/red/black..but of course it was a red guitar LOL

Blog Entries

A 100 watt Marshall head through a full stack you mean? Yes. More than a few times.

The problem with them - at least the older ones - is that you have to crank them so loud to get really good tone out of them that unless you're playing big outdoor gigs or stadiums they're useless.

Just my opinion.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

A 100 watt Marshall head through a full stack you mean? Yes. More than a few times.

The problem with them - at least the older ones - is that you have to crank them so loud to get really good tone out of them that unless you're playing big outdoor gigs or stadiums they're useless.

Just my opinion.
    That seem to be a problem in general with Marshall amps for them to sound toneful they need to be cranked even the 50 Watt combos I've have worked with . They do make power soaks for tube amps but how that would sound with the reduced volume I am not sure . I had never played through a 100 Watt Marshall Head until I repaired one and had to stress it to make sure it was good to go . I then understood why the loud rock guys like them , moving all that air with sound is something to experienced .

Blog Entries

Just my opinion.
    This is true. That's the way tubes function. I think someone used to build analog attenuators to get around that problem....but...you know what they say the definition of a guitar player is:

A guitar player is someone who stuffs $10,000.00 worth of equipment in a $500.00 car and travel 500 miles for a $50.00 gig.

Blog Entries

I then understood why the loud rock guys like them , moving all that air with sound is something to experienced .
    Oh, absolutely. Crank it, hit an E chord and get that feeling like you've got the power of a hurricane in your hands and every cell in your body is vibrating. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    This is true. That's the way tubes function. I think someone used to build analog attenuators to get around that problem.
    The attenuators today are really impressive and actually worth the money. I wouldn't use one without a really good compressor though...but then again I use a compressor at least 75% of the time anyway.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

I gotta tell you guys a story about something that happened to me this weekend. Back in July my wife ordered a nice case from Amazon for her new phone; the tracking said it was delivered to our PO Box, but it never came.

This past Saturday morning I went to my storage unit (we sold our house and are building a smaller one) and discovered the master lock was hanging out. (The door has a remote and a keypad, the management has a key to unlock a cable that disconnects the opener).

Someone had disconnected the door opener so they could push up on the door and it would open. Someone stole my Marshall DSL40C, a small Visio smart TV and a small air compressor. Of course my insurance has a $1000.00 deductible so a complete loss here.

That was at about 11:00 AM. I called in a police report with the SN’s. The wierd thing is that I was almost nonaffect about it. I didn’t feel anger or even victimized. The garage neighbor next to my garage also had his cable lock hanging out so I had the management contact him also. (I disconnected the cable lock from both my garages that day).

So I don’t expect any of this to turn up, it’s just gone.

I kept thinking about Scriptures about not having too much of my soul invested in “worldly treasures” and it brought me a lot of peace. I thanked God that He kept my electronics bench equipment and the rest of the stuff I had in there safe. I really felt peace with God about this, and I was just wondering what He would have to teach me about this.

At 2:30 I went to check my mail, and in my mail box was this package and some mail. When I opened the package, there was this phone case in it. I assumed my wife bought another one and gave it to her. But then she said “I didn’t order a case.” I thought that was weird until I checked the date on the package - July 6.

Now I know this might not seem much to the casual reader, but I saw God’s fingerprints all over that. A couple hours after I get robbed, a phone case we ordered in July shows up? And the packaging was pristine, like it wasn’t laying on the bottom of some mail bag for 4 months.

I just knew this was a “get well card” from God. It just tickled me to death that God would do such a thing to show me He cares. It was intimate and personal and I can’t even describe the joy of having our Father cause this to happen.

So Sunday we went to church (we’re in Exodus) and the message was on Exodus 15 starting with verse 22. Bitter waters. In the Bible, the Israelites grumbled at Moses. Now I know their need was existential, but the narrative of the sermon was that God “tests us to grow us.” It’s about our response to circumstances that reveals our trust and growth in the Lord.

That was an amazing sermon for me - and I thought about my response to the theft - I really felt close to God Saturday and I really felt grateful to God also. Maybe I did ok on this test, and God kindly answered with that phone case.

Anyway I named the story “When is a $29.00 phone case more valuable than a $629.00 guitar amp?”

Be blessed my friends.

Blog Entries

Opps... hey, a newbie error.

Got a set of humbuckers and took them out the box and placed on shelf along with other parts for this build. Decided to attach everything to the pickguard over the weekend and discovered something, the neck and bridge pickups have no real identifying markings concerning which is the neck and which is the bridge. I did the "tech question" on the website explaining my newbie error but so far, no response. Figure they haven't stopped laughing yet

Anyway, to ID each, the neck is 8.0-8.2k and the bridge is 8.5 - 8.8 (or so), how do I test this?

About to hit youtube...
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

I'm sure you've already found out but it's really easy. Just use a multi-meter. Black on ground and red on hot.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Thread Information