Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Guitar building, ahhhh Guitar anything thread

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Guitar building, ahhhh Guitar anything thread

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm sure you've already found out but it's really easy. Just use a multi-meter. Black on ground and red on hot.
    Got them sorted out and labeled now
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Since some posts were lost during the rebuilding of the site, here is the latest... laugh-at-myself (after a moment of frustration blending into praising God).

There I was

I spent about 45 minutes or so meticulously taping up the entire neck to begin a fret job. As I was looking over the neck, all blue now from the tape, I realized something. I didn't check the straightness of the neck prior to taping

So I checked it and looks like a very slight bow exists. BUT, what if I checked without the taping completed because some areas are overlapped and others are not

Just got done tearing off all the tape and rechecked the neck. Now I see that the bow is just slightly worse than with the tape... SO GLAD I didn't begin to attempt sanding with that bar while the neck was bowed
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Ouch!

Thank God you remembered to check.

Ouch!

Thank God you remembered to check.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

And...I see the double posting is back and we still can't edit.

Oh well. At least we can actually post now.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

And...I see the double posting is back and we still can't edit.

Oh well. At least we can actually post now.
    Click reply with quote and then click the "Go Advanced" then respond and submit.

Leveling in done on the neck, crowning this weekend.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

All-righty then... I am well past the fret leveling and then I did make a cardinal mistake. I didn't set the low and high E strings when aligning my pickguard. It seemed to be set well and I couldn't move it left any more. Note to self, WEAR my reading glasses when aligning anything. Drilled my holes, screwed in 11 screws and it looked great.

Next night I was wearing my regular glasses (transitional bi-focals) and I'm looking at the posts on the humbuckers and they seem a little to far to the right of the neck. I have Cheech look at it and she says they do look a little to far right.

Stringed up some spare E strings and YEP, looking straight down I could see that the strings are just about aligned with the left edge of the posts.

Off came the strings, off came the 11 screws and I can't move the pick guard to the left at all. I already know its the toggle switch for the neck pickup. I previously carved out just enough to get the guard to set down into the route. So off comes the pick guard and I carve out a much larger area with the dremel tool. Set the pick guard back in and with the glasses, can see that the alignment of the neck humbucker is where it needs to be. Confirmed by restringing the E strings. Took it all apart and repaint the carved area with the conductive paint. I had to sand down the smallest dowel I have to fit the 3/32 holes I had drilled for the screws and then glued in all the tiny dowels.

Today I repeated the process after sanding off the dowels and once the pick guard was aligned properly under the E strings, redrilled and set all the screws.

Tomorrow I should get to taking those spare E strings off and put on the strings I will be using and set the string heights and set the intonation. Then, double check the height of the pickups and the guitar will be pretty much done.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Frustrations when buying cheap. Was putting in a string tree and the head suddenly striped and when I tried to carefully work the screw out with a pair of needle nosed pliers, the shaft of the screw broke flush with the wood. I then decided to check the screw and nope... didn't stick to a magnet. Probably painted aluminum.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Welp, bought some steel screws and drilled a hole just before the spot with the embedded screw and the base of the string tree nicely covered the spot.

Played the guitar tonight too... sounds good but need much tlc concerning adjusting everything including intonation.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Welp, bought some steel screws and drilled a hole just before the spot with the embedded screw and the base of the string tree nicely covered the spot.

Played the guitar tonight too... sounds good but need much tlc concerning adjusting everything including intonation.
    Yes , that was my SOP if a screw broke off when I was working at the music store . Some of those screws supplied with parts were just pitiful . Glad your project is sounding good . Keep the updates coming .

Blog Entries

Official photo I took today. I still want to do a custom pick-guard (of metal) but this black one does great for the esthetics

IMG_0023A1.jpg
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Official photo I took today. I still want to do a custom pick-guard (of metal) but this black one does great for the esthetics

IMG_0023A1.jpg
    Wow very nice ! I like the black pickguard and black hardware .

Blog Entries

Looks great Slug!
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Looks great Slug!
    Going back to the drawing board on this one

I will be making the metal pick guard but will be moving the position of the knobs so they are farther away from the bridge and the bridge pickup. I am so used to Gibson styled guitars that I am finding the knobs are "in my way" when I strum or mute pick the strings. I can play fine (what I do play) but I'm not in my comfort "zone" of hand placement.

So, when I make the new pick guard, the electronics are being moved slightly away and won't be as close to the bridge area.

I have a small see through plastic storage tote and will cut out the side or bottom and I will first make a see through pick guard. Then I will do all the repositioning of the knobs while being able to see how they will fit in the routed area. I can do small adjustments to the routed area with the dremel tool if needed. Once set, I will use this as the stencil for the metal guard and drill the holes in the new locations.

Once the metal guard is shaped, I plan on carefully heating the metal with a torch and raise the temp enough to color anodize into the blue (some purple?) range of colors. I will practice on some scraps before torching the actual guard.

This will be a unique setup/look
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Going back to the drawing board on this one
    Looks like you've got plenty of space to move the volume and tone knobs. For me the volume knob would be in the ideal place as is because I use my volume so much while I'm playing. I just adjust when playing my LP but for me it's not optimal.

But hey, different strokes, playing styles and what we want in our gitfiddles make the world go round right?
    I've never done a metal pickguard or played around with heating one to get different shades so I'll be looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Looks like you've got plenty of space to move the volume and tone knobs. For me the volume knob would be in the ideal place as is because I use my volume so much while I'm playing. I just adjust when playing my LP but for me it's not optimal.

But hey, different strokes, playing styles and what we want in our gitfiddles make the world go round right?
    I've never done a metal pickguard or played around with heating one to get different shades so I'll be looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
    I volume with my foot This guitar is only for playing around and relaxing. I couldn't imagine changing pickups, splitting the humbuckers to single coil on the go during a song. Unless there is enough of a pause as toggles are slower.
    Slug1--out

Thread Information