Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415

Thread: Guitar building, ahhhh Guitar anything thread

Blog Entries

Re: Guitar building, ahhhh Guitar anything thread

I just shorted out my volume. I use a pedal instead. Seems to work.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I just shorted out my volume. I use a pedal instead. Seems to work.
    I learned that an amp can only amp what signal it's given, so I keep the volume at max and control volume with the amp or the foot pedal. Many years ago I learned that lesson when I thought a new guitar was "muddy" in sound and I could not get a "good" sound out of any amp. Always sounded muffled. A friend asked to look at the guitar and the first thing he did was check the volume, which was at "1." He explained about how the amp works.

Ideally, if I was to always have the "same" equipment, the guitar doesn't really need volume and tone, only a pickup select switch and the amp receives the pure sound with no adjusting. Let the amp adjust all the tones and control the volume with a foot switch/wah.

My problem was I was only sending 10% (approx) of the signal to the amp by having the volume on "1" and the amp was amping only that sound. But when I maxed the volume out and then turned down the amp's volume, or better yet, with a foot switch, the amp was amping 100% of the sound and thus... sounded properly.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

*cough cough*

Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

I don't have the luxury of a $3K guitar. More like, $2-300 guitar, a $2-300 modelling amp and maybe about $1-200 in what I feel are needed (yet cheap) pedals

I know that "good" pots can dial in tones. Now I know (have the knowledge) to mod them and know quality pickups and pots can be attached to a garden rake and you can make great music So mod out a cheap guitar and much more tone is possible. But back then... wide open and let the amp make the tones.

This guitar I parted together, I specifically chose ash because it's dense and heavy (heaviest guitar I've ever played) which means that the notes are bright and the sustain is amazing. I enjoy playing the guitar even without plugging it up to an amp because it "sounds" so nice as just a solid body. I am however discovering that I don't prefer the heavy/light (52-10) strings on a guitar I use for all my playing.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

The pots in that mostly likely - way - more than 3k guitar really aren't any better than the pots you get on an affordable Epiphone or Fender Squire. Sure, you can spend money on high end pots but at best you're only getting about a 10 - 15 % quality upgrade as far as function goes.
    The materials and build quality are what you're paying for and IMO well worth the money if you're actually using the pots. If you always just leave 'em at 10 and never touch them it won't make a bit of difference.

There are cheap Chinese/Korean pots out there that are horrible but a quick swap out doesn't have to cost much more than $10 -15.00. And I only say that much because if the pots are that bad the wiring will be bad as well so that will add to the clost.

In the end though we all approach our instruments and gear in our own way. I didn't post that video to suggest you were "wrong" or anything like it I merely wanted to show a different way of thinking about it.
    If dialing in a tone on your amp and just using a volume pedal ( and maybe some other pedals) works for you then great. Be happy and love it brother!
    I like to dial in a great tone on my amp and then use my volume and tone control to change things up on the fly. And that works great for me.

Strings: I always say the guitar picks the strings whether it be an electric or an acoustic. My Strat, Les Pauls etc all have different gauges and my acoustics have different gauges and materials.

I play my Strat unplugged all the time. It's my "couch" guitar and it may seem weird but as good as it sounds plugged in I wish there were a way to get it to sound exactly like it does with it's natural resonance and sustain with an amp.

I've never managed it.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The pots in that mostly likely - way - more than 3k guitar really aren't any better than the pots you get on an affordable Epiphone or Fender Squire. Sure, you can spend money on high end pots but at best you're only getting about a 10 - 15 % quality upgrade as far as function goes.
    The materials and build quality are what you're paying for and IMO well worth the money if you're actually using the pots. If you always just leave 'em at 10 and never touch them it won't make a bit of difference.

There are cheap Chinese/Korean pots out there that are horrible but a quick swap out doesn't have to cost much more than $10 -15.00. And I only say that much because if the pots are that bad the wiring will be bad as well so that will add to the clost.

In the end though we all approach our instruments and gear in our own way. I didn't post that video to suggest you were "wrong" or anything like it I merely wanted to show a different way of thinking about it.
    If dialing in a tone on your amp and just using a volume pedal ( and maybe some other pedals) works for you then great. Be happy and love it brother!
    I like to dial in a great tone on my amp and then use my volume and tone control to change things up on the fly. And that works great for me.

Strings: I always say the guitar picks the strings whether it be an electric or an acoustic. My Strat, Les Pauls etc all have different gauges and my acoustics have different gauges and materials.

I play my Strat unplugged all the time. It's my "couch" guitar and it may seem weird but as good as it sounds plugged in I wish there were a way to get it to sound exactly like it does with it's natural resonance and sustain with an amp.

I've never managed it.
    I enjoyed the vid, he's a great guitarist. I understand what ya mean in all that you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

I've never managed it.
    I enjoyed the vid, he's a great guitarist. I understand what ya mean in all that you are saying.
    Slug1--out

???
    Are Bassists included in this 'guitar' thread ????

???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Humility View Post
    ???
    Sure... welcome to the thread!
    Slug1--out

Thread Information