Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
This makes good sense. And if one looks at Matt 23, Jesus was obviously describing their spiritual condition, which then could apply to anyone having some of those same traits. Such as...

Matthew 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Why would this only be applicable to those scribes and Pharisees at the time? None of this can apply to anyone in our day and time? Something such as this can't apply to a Gentile as well?
It could indeed apply to a Gentile. For a long time I thought that it especially applied to those IN the church. After all, as successors to the Jews, we have the TRUTH etc, yet do we live that way.
It was why I could also see the Whore as being the church.
However is that what this is on about? Will the church again degenerate - and which church?
The Pharisees and Scribes though were not simply religious leaders but also civil leaders forming the Sanhedrin (with the Sadducees) and so I am wondering now whether this isn't speaking of the combined form, a bit like clay and iron don't mix, yet they try to...