Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revelation & history part 3

Blog Entries

Revelation & history part 3

Part 3

Revelation 12:6
    6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

History
    The first christian Jews had 3 1/2 years of protection until the Jewish persecution broke out on the day Stephen was killed

Acts 7:57-60---Acts 8:1-3
    57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.
    59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 8:1-3
    1On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.

Could it just be a coincidence?

https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...history-part-4

Blog Entries

Re: Revelation & history part 3

Well the ‘woman’ represents the true ‘Israel of God’. Whether that means the persecution following Stephan, or not, I’m not sure.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Blog Entries

As it wasn't 3.5 years before persecution started so it is a false connection.

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Part 3

Revelation 12:6
    6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

History
    The first christian Jews had 3 1/2 years of protection until the Jewish persecution broke out on the day Stephen was killed

Acts 7:57-60---Acts 8:1-3
    57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.
    59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

1On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.

Could it just be a coincidence?

https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...history-part-4
    3.5 years are also associated with the Reign of Antichrist in Dan 7. The Woman may be Israel preserved from the Antichrist in the land of Israel in the endtimes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    As it wasn't 3.5 years before persecution started so it is a false connection.
    References I have looked into states difference

Blog Entries

References I have looked into states difference
    And...
    We can claim all sorts of things. You need to state when your 3.5 years starts and when it ends.
    Then we can see if your references claim is correct.
    It was approximately 3 years between Jesus' death and the time when Stephen was martyred.
    In Acts 5 though, BEFORE Stephen was martyred, the apostles were flogged, so persecution started before that event.

And...
    We can claim all sorts of things. You need to state when your 3.5 years starts and when it ends.
    It was approximately 3 years between Jesus' death and the time when Stephen was martyred.
    In Acts 5 though, BEFORE Stephen was martyred, the apostles were flogged, so persecution started before that event.
    If one is treating the 3.5 years in the literal sense, it has to be exactly 3.5 years then. Not a day more, not a day less. Exactly 3.5 years in full. Approximations and close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    If one is treating the 3.5 years in the literal sense, it has to be exactly 3.5 years then. Not a day more, not a day less. Exactly 3.5 years in full. Approximations and close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
    Personally if God says 3 and a half years, then I wouldn't be looking to the exact day, but to the mid point of a year, ie in the 6th month of the year, like in June or whatever from when it started.
    So if they count from the crucifixion, which was Passover, then 6 months later is Tishri and the Feast of booths.
    I expect though that Marty will have Jesus crucified in 30 AD and so the persecution starts in 33 AD.
    This is driven not by facts, but by the need for the 70 weeks to be completed.
    The problem is we aren't told which month Stephen was martyred, and are we to take that as the start of persecution or the earlier event when the apostles are flogged?
    Maybe slightly after when Saul goes about rounding everyone up - or maybe later yet when he goes to Damascus.
    It is a nebulous claim.
    I believe Jesus was crucified in 34 AD, and Stephen was martyred before Passover 37 AD, which is less than 3 years. If you think crucifixion was 33 AD, then the earliest is the end of 36 AD, which is closer to 3 and 3/4 years.
    The reason for this is because Pontius Pilate and Ananias were both on the scene (along with Herod) and so they wouldn't have killed anyone without Pilate allowing it - note what happened for the death of Jesus. When Pilate was gone though then there was a power vacuum for Ananias also left, and the new governor didn't come to Jerusalem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    Well the ‘woman’ represents the true ‘Israel of God’. Whether that means the persecution following Stephan, or not, I’m not sure.
    But the saints are her other offspring

Revelation 12:17
    17 Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.

Blog Entries

And...
    I am meaning the persecuting onto death which was the reason most Christians left Jerusalem

Blog Entries

I am meaning the persecuting onto death which was the reason most Christians left Jerusalem
    It is an interesting claim - did all the church scatter?
    On the face of it, all but the apostles left - yet is that the correct meaning Luke wants to give?
    After all we have thousands of believers at this point in time. In Acts 4:4 it is more than 5,000 in Jerusalem it would seem.
    Now many had already returned home, from Pentecost events and brought the gospel.
    This is why Saul wanted to go to Damascus and get rid of the Christians there too.

IOW many Christians had gone BEFORE persecution unto death had started, and more went after, yet there also remained such a large number that there were thousands in Jerusalem years later when Paul came for the Passover (Acts 21:20).

Blog Entries

It is an interesting claim - did all the church scatter?
    On the face of it, all but the apostles left - yet is that the correct meaning Luke wants to give?
    After all we have thousands of believers at this point in time. In Acts 4:4 it is more than 5,000 in Jerusalem it would seem.
    Now many had already returned home, from Pentecost events and brought the gospel.
    This is why Saul wanted to go to Damascus and get rid of the Christians there too.

IOW many Christians had gone BEFORE persecution unto death had started, and more went after, yet there also remained such a large number that there were thousands in Jerusalem years later when Paul came for the Passover (Acts 21:20).
    I have no idea what you are trying to argue I didn't say all I said most and I go with what the verse below says

Blog Entries

If in this passage the woman/church is the Jerusalem church core... then that makes Saul and the Sanhedrin the dragon. I'm not sure what the flood from the dragon's mouth would be....

I'm not throwing out this idea, but if we expand our understanding of Revelation based on this, does Revelation enlighten our understanding of history further, or does it confuse things. If there are not clear associations between the first century church and all the symbols of Revelation 12, it will not hold up well.
    As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Blog Entries

I have no idea what you are trying to argue I didn't say all I said most and I go with what the verse below says

I was highlighting that we need to read more than a verse in isolation.
    We need to know the story around it and what the author is emphasising.

Personally if God says 3 and a half years, then I wouldn't be looking to the exact day, but to the mid point of a year, ie in the 6th month of the year, like in June or whatever from when it started.
    So if they count from the crucifixion, which was Passover, then 6 months later is Tishri and the Feast of booths.
    I expect though that Marty will have Jesus crucified in 30 AD and so the persecution starts in 33 AD.
    This is driven not by facts, but by the need for the 70 weeks to be completed.
    The problem is we aren't told which month Stephen was martyred, and are we to take that as the start of persecution or the earlier event when the apostles are flogged?
    Maybe slightly after when Saul goes about rounding everyone up - or maybe later yet when he goes to Damascus.
    It is a nebulous claim.
    I believe Jesus was crucified in 34 AD, and Stephen was martyred before Passover 37 AD, which is less than 3 years. If you think crucifixion was 33 AD, then the earliest is the end of 36 AD, which is closer to 3 and 3/4 years.
    The reason for this is because Pontius Pilate and Ananias were both on the scene (along with Herod) and so they wouldn't have killed anyone without Pilate allowing it - note what happened for the death of Jesus. When Pilate was gone though then there was a power vacuum for Ananias also left, and the new governor didn't come to Jerusalem.
    There is another possibility. The 3.5 years are not meaning literally the amount specified but instead are symbolizing something. What could it be symbolizing? 1/2 of the 70th week, perhaps?

Thread Information