Quote Originally Posted by gavriel View Post
Luke 21 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. 21 Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; 22 because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled. 23 Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; 24 and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

It is very difficult for me to read this and not see the fulfillment of it during the first and second century, particularly the 70 AD siege of Jerusalem by the future Roman Emperor Titus. For Titus surrounded the city using three legions. There were those that fled to the mountains (Masada). There was definitely great distress in the land. And there were those that fell by sword and those taken captive. And many of the Jews were sold into slavery through the lands. And many left the region and became scattered amongst the nations of the world as the Jewish people are today, save those that have returned to the Land.

Will this too be a derash? Honestly, I do not know. Maybe. But since this is so precisely fulfilled in our history, it is very difficult for me to see some future fulfillment with this prophecy.
I forgot to mention in my last post (will probably go back and add a small note) that I believe Jesus was addressing the events of 70ad in Luke 21:12-24a of the Olivet Discourse, where it starts out (in vv.8-11) speaking of "the beginning of birth PANGS [plural]" (called that specifically in Matt24:4-8, but described the same here... and recall I believe these START in the future 7-yr trib, with 1Th5:2-3 telling of the INITIAL "birth PANG [singular]" [upon its ARRIVAL])... and then says, "BUT BEFORE all these things [meaning, 'BEFORE the beginning of birth PANGS' (which are far-future)]" what follows in the text are verses where He describes the 70ad events (vv.12-24a, with 24b following on from there). Will try to find my post that gives the fuller reasoning.

[Matt22:7-8 sequence also ]