Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis tells gay man: 'God made you like that and loves you like that'

Blog Entries

Pope Francis tells gay man: 'God made you like that and loves you like that'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/europ...ntl/index.html

So God loves homosexuals despite 1 Corinthians 6:9 "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men"

How can God love homosexuals if they will not inherit the Kingdom of God?

Thoughts on this?

Re: Pope Francis tells gay man: 'God made you like that and loves you like that'

God loves all. He died for all.
    But He hates sin.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Re: Pope Francis tells gay man: 'God made you like that and loves you like that'

Quote Originally Posted by Translucent1 View Post

So God loves homosexuals despite 1 Corinthians 6:9 "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men"

Thoughts on this?
    The article only says that the person talking to the pope said the pope said it. I have not seen any proof stating the words of the pope. It's just this gay man's word.

Regardless I think the greater problem would be if the pope actually said God made him this way rather than the love of God aspect. God does love everyone but He is not responsible for our sin. Saying God made him this way would be the same as saying it is God's fault the man is in sin as described by God Himself.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Translucent1 View Post

Thoughts on this?
    I guess it depends on just what you mean by "homosexuals"

Homosexuals - men attracted to other men - not sinful
    Homosexuals - men who have physical relationships with other men - sinful

Quote Originally Posted by Sonajero View Post
    I guess it depends on just what you mean by "homosexuals"

Homosexuals - men attracted to other men - not sinful
    Homosexuals - men who have physical relationships with other men - sinful
    So the part about lusting only applies if it's a man lusting for a woman and not another man?

I agree that someone who struggles with SSA can avoid lust and live holy. But your statement is just too open-ended.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    So the part about lusting only applies if it's a man lusting for a woman and not another man?

I agree that someone who struggles with SSA can avoid lust and live holy. But your statement is just too open-ended.
    Nice job nitpicking there.

The point is that having an attraction isn't a sin. Having homosexual sex is a sin. No different to heterosexuals.

The point is that having an attraction isn't a sin. Having homosexual sex is a sin. No different to heterosexuals.
    The attraction could be based in sin. Something is broken and the attraction can be overcome. I know people who have come out of it. I have a friend that is now married with children that came out of it.

The wound often comes because we respondedly wrongly in some area where we were sinned against greatly. Perhaps it is only a wound that needs healing (but I think not). Either way, there's healing and God doesn't want to leave us in the hopelessness of woundedness.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

By the way, the other night I watched the film Sing Over Me and I highly recommend it. It's about the Christian singer/songwriter Dennis Jernigan who struggled with homosexuality while growing up in church and was set free at the age of 22.

Nitpicking? Lust is a gigantic problem that destroys lives.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    Nitpicking? Lust is a gigantic problem that destroys lives.
    Yes, and lust isn't the issue we're talking about.

The question related to "homosexuals" and my point was that there's a difference between having a sexual desire and having sex. Having a desire isn't a sin, having gay sex is a sin. The point is the distinction, not exactly where to draw a line. Even discussing the existence of the line confirms the point, namely that it is possible to have desires without sinning by acting on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    The attraction could be based in sin. Something is broken and the attraction can be overcome. I know people who have come out of it. I have a friend that is now married with children that came out of it.

The wound often comes because we respondedly wrongly in some area where we were sinned against greatly. Perhaps it is only a wound that needs healing (but I think not). Either way, there's healing and God doesn't want to leave us in the hopelessness of woundedness.
    Perhaps. The key thing is that being tempted isn't the same as sinning. If you're tempted to do something sinful, whether that be having sex with another man, or having sex with your secretary, or stealing something, or whatever else you might be tempted to do, you don't sin until you yield to the temptation. If you dwell on the desire and lust, if you go ahead and have the sinful sex, if you steal the item, you cross the line and sin.

Jesus said we had to take up our cross and follow. Maybe for some people that cross is celibacy.

Yes, and lust isn't the issue we're talking about.

The question related to "homosexuals" and my point was that there's a difference between having a sexual desire and having sex. Having a desire isn't a sin, having gay sex is a sin. The point is the distinction, not exactly where to draw a line. Even discussing the existence of the line confirms the point, namely that it is possible to have desires without sinning by acting on them.
    One person in the discussion doesn't get to define what issue we're going to talk about. That's not how a forum works. Lust is part of attraction. I already said that one can struggle with SSA without sinning.

Blog Entries

I'm sure that what the Pope said in a private conversation was most likely misunderstood and then misreported and exacerbated. Then again I'm only guessing because neither he or other representatives have clarified.

Nonetheless - I agree with both ChangedByHim and Sonajero. Lust is a gigantic problem that destroys lives. Temptation itself is not a sin but acting on it certainly is.
    Letting certain temptations become a focal point and foundation of your life instead of Christ being the focal point and foundation can only lead one away from the straight and narrow path.

Fact is, we all have temptations and it is God who gives us the strength and the way to escape and bear it.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

I read an article a month or so ago where he told a young boy who asked if his father was in heaven ( a known atheist ) , that his father was in heaven if he was good. He also told the boy he knew his father was good because he had such a good son. So therefore his father had to be in heaven.

Blog Entries

Well that's just crazy. IF he really said that about an atheist this Pope is off his rocker.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Thread Information