Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Why God Allows Adversity

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Why God Allows Adversity

    Recently, as I visited a woman I usually minister to, she told me she had a challenge in her left leg, that won’t let her move even the shortest distance.
    She said it was diagnosed as arthritis. Then as I talked with her, we got to a point where she asked; “Why would God allow this kind of thing to come to me?” she made that statement with a great despair.

    As a matter of fact, she went further to say that in spite of the fact that she has been very dedicated to God; attending every church services and programs; doing everything she knows is expected of her as a Christian; how could God allow such an ailment to come to her? She asked in pain and despair.

    As she said such things to me, God immediately put a word in my mouth to instruct her. I said to her; “God allowed this to come to you, because he knows you have what it takes to handle it.” I added; “The same way he allows you to feel hungry, because he knows you have food; and the same way he allows you to get pressed in your bowels, because he knows you have toilet”.

    So I told her that God allowed the health challenge she was having because he has given her enough faith to fix it.

    After that instruction, I shared the word of God with her, then at the end of my message, I laid hand on the point of pain and prayed for her and left. On coming back the next few days to her, I asked her how she faired…

    She replied that in spite of all the prayers-- including her personal prayers, her situation had remained the same. In fact, she lamented in unbelief. As she was lamenting and saying all that, I just laughed, knowing her real challenge was unbelief.

    After her talks, I shared a sermon with her and instructed her on the steps of faith she should take for her healing, then I laid my hand again on her, prayed for her and declared her healed.

    And by the next few days I went to minister to her again, she had already started recovering, moving to distances she couldn’t move to before then with leaping. Then I ministered to her again, and let her know that God was already working on her and that she was recovering.

    By the time I went to her a few days later, she was totally healed to the glory of God. As a matter of fact, she was so happy, asking me if it was still needful for her to share the testimony, since I could already see her very whole.

    But all the same, she testified of how she had to take a step of faith as I instructed her and forced herself to church, and went along with a young girl to help her move in the church, but on stepping her feet in the church, she started walking without any aid.

    And when it was time for praises, she started dancing seriously with her legs very whole…

    She was totally healed by God through her faith. To God alone be all the glory…

    The situation this woman found herself is what I know many Christians all over the world often find themselves in. Like the woman, as they serve God dedicatedly, and adverse situation come their way, they find themselves asking; “Why will God allow this to come to me?”

    To this group of people, I want to enumerate the scriptural possible reasons why God allows adverse situations to come to the believer. Because of course, nothing can happen to a believer without God’s foreknowledge.

    Why God Allow Adversities

    Scripturally, these are the possible reasons why God can allow adversities to come to a believer:


    1. You are Able to Handle it: God allows adversities to come to believers, because he knows they already have the ability to handle the situation. And thereby, growing in that ability by exercise, through adversities, to the glory, praise and honor of his holy name—1 Corinthians 10:13; 1 Peter 1:6-7.
    2. Development of Patience: The bible tells us that we should count it all joy when we fall into various trials; knowing this, that the trying of our faith works patience (James 1:2-3). Hence, development of patience in us is a reason God could allow adversity in our lives sometimes.
    3. Disciplinary Motive: Another reason a Christian could experience adversity, may be for the purpose of divine discipline. God can allow a believer to experience adversity, in order to curtail or cut off a vice from him. This vice could be pride, impatience, materialism, e.t.c. This was the case of the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians12:7. God had to give him a thorn in the flesh so he won’t be exalted above measure.
    4. Chastening Motive: God can also use adverse situations, such as sickness , financial or material loss and yes, even death to chasten believers for profane or rebellious attitudes. The scriptural instance of this is what happened to the people who profaned the communion in 1Corinthians 11:29-32. And Jesus’ proposed Judgement on the prophetess in Revelation 2:20-23. But if we can always judge ourselves, God would not have to judge or chasten us.
    5. Proving Motive: Scripturally, it is clear that God uses adversity to prove the dedication and love of his children from time to time. Someone has said; “God offends the mind to reveal the heart”. And that is scripturally true. A perfect example of this is the case of Job. God used great adversity to prove Job’s fear, love and dedication to him (read the entire book of Job).


    So God allows adversities in the lives of believers for the reasons above. And if you find yourself in any adversity, don’t be offended in God. Instead, first attack the situation by faith and prayers. But after so much prayers and exercise of faith, and the situation persists, don’t assume anything. The challenge may be for any of the above listed reasons. But Like the Apostle Paul, go to God in prayers to discern the reason for the challenge.

    And as you find out the reason, you can then deal with the situation accordingly with scriptural wisdom.

    Remain Blessed!

    Emeke Odili
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

  2. #2

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Why God Allow Adversities

    Scripturally, these are the possible reasons why God can allow adversities to come to a believer:

    You are Able to Handle it: God allows adversities to come to believers, because he knows they already have the ability to handle the situation. And thereby, growing in that ability by exercise, through adversities, to the glory, praise and honor of his holy name—1 Corinthians 10:13; 1 Peter 1:6-7.
    Above controverts James 1:13-15 KJV that declares:
    Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    [14] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    [15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.


    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Development of Patience: The bible tells us that we should count it all joy when we fall into various trials; knowing this, that the trying of our faith works patience (James 1:2-3). Hence, development of patience in us is a reason God could allow adversity in our lives sometimes.
    Patience that is a spiritual gift is not by adversity, but by the Spirit. Patience that is worked out by adversity is not a gift but a reward from having worked. The later must be perfected. It will take a whole lot of work to perfect that patience that you work out. But the gift of patience of Jesus Christ is raised up in truth into perfection.

    About that adversity induced patience, James 1:3-4 KJV declares it must have perfect works, (that is if you can make it perfect):

    Knowing this , that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    [4] But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.


    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Disciplinary Motive: Another reason a Christian could experience adversity, may be for the purpose of divine discipline. God can allow a believer to experience adversity, in order to curtail or cut off a vice from him. This vice could be pride, impatience, materialism, e.t.c. This was the case of the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians12:7. God had to give him a thorn in the flesh so he won’t be exalted above measure.
    God does not exalt a person and turn around to checkmate with a thorn (the messenger of Satan) so that His grace can be sufficient to fix the thorn.

    He does not chastise His children with adversity, but with loving rebukes as He did/does with the Laodecia church. Revelation 3:19 KJV declares:

    As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.


    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Chastening Motive: God can also use adverse situations, such as sickness , financial or material loss and yes, even death to chasten believers for profane or rebellious attitudes. The scriptural instance of this is what happened to the people who profaned the communion in 1Corinthians 11:29-32. And Jesus’ proposed Judgement on the prophetess in Revelation 2:20-23. But if we can always judge ourselves, God would not have to judge or chasten us.
    Impossible!

    Sickness or disease is/can never be His judgment. His judgment, committed to the Son and sons of God, is unconditional and impartial either unto justification of life or condemnation of death. Revelation 2:22 is conditional.


    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Proving Motive: Scripturally, it is clear that God uses adversity to prove the dedication and love of his children from time to time. Someone has said; “God offends the mind to reveal the heart”. And that is scripturally true. A perfect example of this is the case of Job. God used great adversity to prove Job’s fear, love and dedication to him (read the entire book of Job).
    Job's great tribulation was not to test Job. God already knew about Job's unflinching love and dedication. He told Satan about Job.

    Rather, the Job narrative was/is to show that there are none in the world like perfect sons of men. They can/do endure great tribulation without falling away. They do so because they are made eternal overcomers.


    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    So God allows adversities in the lives of believers for the reasons above. And if you find yourself in any adversity, don’t be offended in God. Instead, first attack the situation by faith and prayers. But after so much prayers and exercise of faith, and the situation persists, don’t assume anything. The challenge may be for any of the above listed reasons. But Like the Apostle Paul, go to God in prayers to discern the reason for the challenge.
    Neither scriptures nor the gospels of God preach your assertions.


    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    And as you find out the reason, you can then deal with the situation accordingly with scriptural wisdom.
    If you find yourself in any form of adversity, know that God did not allow it in order to do any of what OP says. If/when you have an adversity, the power of God, if available and as the case may be, either heals, saves or sets you at liberty from such an adversity.
    Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    31,579
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    I heard a very good and popular preacher once say "Be very careful who you allow to pray for you."

    I know what he meant.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,110
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I heard a very good and popular preacher once say "Be very careful who you allow to pray for you."

    I know what he meant.
    Paul warned Timothy: 1 Tim 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

    A false minister praying for anyone can do nothing but add to their problem. If there was no problem before, his false prayer will bring one. The easy victims invariably are those chasing signs and wonders.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    31,579
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Paul warned Timothy: 1 Tim 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

    A false minister praying for anyone can do nothing but add to their problem. If there was no problem before, his false prayer will bring one. The easy victims invariably are those chasing signs and wonders.
    Exactly brother. Exactly. Been through that, it definitely made things worse.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious View Post
    Above controverts James 1:13-15 KJV that declares:
    Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    [14] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
    [15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.




    Patience that is a spiritual gift is not by adversity, but by the Spirit. Patience that is worked out by adversity is not a gift but a reward from having worked. The later must be perfected. It will take a whole lot of work to perfect that patience that you work out. But the gift of patience of Jesus Christ is raised up in truth into perfection.

    About that adversity induced patience, James 1:3-4 KJV declares it must have perfect works, (that is if you can make it perfect):

    Knowing this , that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    [4] But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.




    God does not exalt a person and turn around to checkmate with a thorn (the messenger of Satan) so that His grace can be sufficient to fix the thorn.

    He does not chastise His children with adversity, but with loving rebukes as He did/does with the Laodecia church. Revelation 3:19 KJV declares:

    As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.




    Impossible!

    Sickness or disease is/can never be His judgment. His judgment, committed to the Son and sons of God, is unconditional and impartial either unto justification of life or condemnation of death. Revelation 2:22 is conditional.




    Job's great tribulation was not to test Job. God already knew about Job's unflinching love and dedication. He told Satan about Job.

    Rather, the Job narrative was/is to show that there are none in the world like perfect sons of men. They can/do endure great tribulation without falling away. They do so because they are made eternal overcomers.




    Neither scriptures nor the gospels of God preach your assertions.




    If you find yourself in any form of adversity, know that God did not allow it in order to do any of what OP says. If/when you have an adversity, the power of God, if available and as the case may be, either heals, saves or sets you at liberty from such an adversity.
    Everything point posted above, has the corresponding scriptures appended to them. So basically I believe you need to put your pet doctrines aside and meditate on the scriptures before coming up with your rebuttals.

    To start with I want to know your opinion concerning what God did to Abraham when he asked him to sacrifice Isaac. The scripture categorically states that "God tempted Abraham".

    After answering that, I will explain to you what James meant by God not tempting anyone with evil.
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    Paul warned Timothy: 1 Tim 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure.

    A false minister praying for anyone can do nothing but add to their problem. If there was no problem before, his false prayer will bring one. The easy victims invariably are those chasing signs and wonders.
    Yes Paul said that, but he didn't say 'never lay hands on any man'. The scriptural instruction is clear. It says, "Lay hands suddenly on no man" as many has twisted it to be.

    But my question is, why are we always expectant of the negative?
    The last time I checked the scripture, it says, to the pure all things are pure. And of course, that is also true for the impure, the word of God says "to the impure, all things are impure".
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,739
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Everything point posted above, has the corresponding scriptures appended to them. So basically I believe you need to put your pet doctrines aside and meditate on the scriptures before coming up with your rebuttals.

    To start with I want to know your opinion concerning what God did to Abraham when he asked him to sacrifice Isaac. The scripture categorically states that "God tempted Abraham".

    [...]
    Which is categorically false, it says God proved Abraham, He did not tempt him, He tested him. The Hebrew word « nasah » (to smell) is of the 36 times it occurs only 8 time — wrongly — translated by « tempted » and 4 times by « tempt ».

    Since Scripture does never contradict itself, the following statement stands:

    Jam. 1:13 « Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man ».

    Aristarkos

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    Which is categorically false, it says God proved Abraham, He did not tempt him, He tested him. The Hebrew word « nasah » (to smell) is of the 36 times it occurs only 8 time — wrongly — translated by « tempted » and 4 times by « tempt ».

    Since Scripture does never contradict itself, the following statement stands:

    Jam. 1:13 « Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man ».

    Aristarkos
    Since you know word translations very well, What does the word tempted as used in James 1:13 mean? The last time I checked, it meant the same thing as test which you say is the right word to describe what God did to Abraham.

    check your concordance or Bible dictionary again to verify.
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,739
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Since you know word translations very well, What does the word tempted as used in James 1:13 mean? The last time I checked, it meant the same thing as test which you say is the right word to describe what God did to Abraham.

    check your concordance or Bible dictionary again to verify.
    I think you know the N.T. is written in Greek, not in Hebrew.

    Aristarkos

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    I think you know the N.T. is written in Greek, not in Hebrew.

    Aristarkos
    Of course, I'm aware. Just check if the Hebrew translation is not in harmony with the Greek translation. Whether Hebrew or Greek what we are interested in is, are the words the same? Do they mean test?
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,739
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Of course, I'm aware. Just check if the Hebrew translation is not in harmony with the Greek translation. Whether Hebrew or Greek what we are interested in is, are the words the same? Do they mean test?
    The word « apeirastos » only occurs here in James 1:13, according to Strong it means untried, not temptable, not to be tempted. What is your point? These words are not the same. The Hebrew word « nasah » literally means to smell.

    Aristarkos

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    The word « apeirastos » only occurs here in James 1:13, according to Strong it means untried, not temptable, not to be tempted. What is your point? These words are not the same. The Hebrew word « nasah » literally means to smell.

    Aristarkos
    Here is the scripture:
    James 1:13
    "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

    The Greek word translated as 'tempted' is "peirazó" and it means: to make proof of, to attempt, test, tempt

    Then that of Abraham, here is the scripture:

    Gen 22:1
    "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am."

    Below is the Hebrew translation of the word "tempt".'nasah' meaning 'test'.

    My point is that, the Bible says God tested Abraham, and the book of James also says God does not test any man (by your interpretation), are these scriptures now contradictory?
    I want us to be on the same page before I begin with my explanation.
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,739
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    Here is the scripture:
    James 1:13
    "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

    The Greek word translated as 'tempted' is "peirazó" and it means: to make proof of, to attempt, test, tempt

    Then that of Abraham, here is the scripture:

    Gen 22:1
    "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am."

    Below is the Hebrew translation of the word "tempt".'nasah' meaning 'test'.

    My point is that, the Bible says God tested Abraham, and the book of James also says God does not test any man (by your interpretation), are these scriptures now contradictory?
    I want us to be on the same page before I begin with my explanation.
    The Greek says God does not tempt anybody, the Hebrew that God tested Abraham.

    Aristarkos

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nigeria
    Posts
    292

    Re: Why God Allows Adversity

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    The Greek says God does not tempt anybody, the Hebrew that God tested Abraham.

    Aristarkos
    The question is: with your interpretation, doesn't these sound contradictory?

    First, by your interpretation, God does not tempt(test) anyone. Then God tested Abraham.
    Does that synch?
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Running through Adversity
    By Richard Teerpening in forum Poetry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov 28th 2009, 09:44 PM
  2. The blessings of adversity
    By Tanya~ in forum Devotions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 16th 2008, 09:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •