Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Are vows allowed in the NT?

Re: Are vows allowed in the NT?

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Your reaching here Fenris. God promised that SHE would bear the child within one year. Pretty specific actually.
    Wrong. No promise had been made to Sarah. You're thinking about Genesis 17, which hadn't happened yet. Genesis 17 takes place 13 years after chapter 16.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Wrong. No promise had been made to Sarah. You're thinking about Genesis 17, which hadn't happened yet. Genesis 17 takes place 13 years after chapter 16.
    You are correct Fenris. 17 had not happened yet. He had promised Abraham in 16 and told about Sarah having a child in 17. You got me bro. I stand corrected.

No worries. We're all looking for the truth. God bless.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

No worries. We're all looking for the truth. God bless.
    I'll be having Crow, with a slice of humble pie for dinner. Am not looking forward to it.

I am sticking with my guns concerning God's will for marriage though. Also, that both Abraham and Sarah acted prematurely, though not necessarily sinfully. God's will was her to have the child of promise, not Hagar. ( I feel a little better now ).

Again, why is this a lack of faith but Jacob's wives not? Why is this a lack of faith, but even though God explicitly promised the land of Canaan to Abraham, he still felt the need to go out and buy a burial plot? What makes this different? Because I'm saying nothing makes this different, it wasn't a lack of faith, and the biblical characters behaved properly.
    First off, buying a burial plot has little to do with God's promise of Canaan. It is a practical approach to the facts, such as after a person receives title to a car he then proceeds to drive in it. Once Abraham received word that God was giving him the country he purchased a burial plot there. So let's not use this as an example.

The reason we see Sarah as having had a lack of faith is because God told her she would have a child on her own. She did not believe this, and so gave Hagar to Abraham in order for him to have a son. This was in concession to her barrenness, and did not believe God would do as He said. This is unadulterated "lack of faith."

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Repped you !!! A "vow" at it's core is saying "God , I understand what you desire from me, and with all my heart I will do as you ask". It's simple obedience.
    Yes, in my view a proper vow is one that is done in partnership with God, consciously or unconsciously. Anything beyond that is a "bad oath."

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    First off, buying a burial plot has little to do with God's promise of Canaan. It is a practical approach to the facts, such as after a person receives title to a car he then proceeds to drive in it. Once Abraham received word that God was giving him the country he purchased a burial plot there. So let's not use this as an example.
    "God promised the whole land to me. Why should I buy anything?"

Yes of course he's being practical. So was Sarah. So was Rachel. No lack of faith.

The reason we see Sarah as having had a lack of faith is because God told her she would have a child on her own.
    Nope. Promise to her came after. 13 years later, in fact. In Genesis 17, the following chapter.

Isaiah 54

"Nope. Promise to her came after. 13 years later, in fact. In Genesis 17, the following chapter.
    I'm going to change my mind on this one. I think you're right. Sarah did nothing wrong. Her unbelief was improper, but did not destroy her reputation as a godly woman. Thanks! In this case, I think I've received some bad teaching in the Christian world.

No worries. God bless you, my friend.

Isaiah 54

Thread Information