Thread: THE REVELATION CHAPTER 3 VERSES 7 & 8

THE REVELATION CHAPTER 3 VERSES 7 & 8

Rev 3:7-8 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

3:7
    he that hath the key of David – To understand what this key is we have to remember God's promises to David. 2 Sam 7:16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever. Ps 132:11 The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne. Isa 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. The key of David is the right, privilege and lineage to rule over all the earth from David's throne. It belongs to Jesus Christ and gives special meaning to what Jesus says next.

he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth – Jesus has the only key that can truly open doors or close them. He is the King of kings and the LORD of lords. His has the right, the privilege and the lineage to reign over the earth. As King and LORD He can do as He pleases. Both man and the devil would like us not to believe that. Men and the devil want us to believe there are things we simply cannot do, places we simply cannot go, things we cannot accomplish. Those who know the One who holds the key of David should know better. Let me give just one example of what God can do by shutting a door: Gen 7:13-16 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark; They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort. And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life. And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in. The ark didn't sink because the Lord shut them in. Noah, his family and the animals were safe because the Lord shut them in. Others couldn't enter after it started to rain because the Lord shut them in. When the Lord says yes or go then it's possible no matter how impossible it looks. When the Lord says no or stay then it's impossible no matter how easy it looks. If we learn to operate at the bidding of Him that opens and no man shuts and shuts and no man opens, then we are more than conquerors, we are a chosen generation (1 Pet 2:9), kings and priests unto our God (Rev 5:10). When we stand with God we cannot loose. When we stand against Him we cannot win.

3:8 I know thy works – Works speaks of that with which one is occupied. Jesus knew the hearts and lives of these people. He knew their thoughts, feelings, and actions. He knew what they did and why they did it. James wrote in James 2:18 ...I will shew thee my faith by my works. Paul wrote in Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. John Calvin once said, “faith alone saves, but faith that saves is not alone.” Our works are a natural extension of what we believe and who we trust, they are a testimony of what is real to us, a revelation of what we have built our life upon. People should know what we believe because of how we live and what we do.

I have set before thee an open door – An open door could be looked at as an opportunity or way of escape. The fact that Jesus has set an open door before this church means He intends for them to walk through it. This church had an opportunity to be all God wished for them to be, to do all God wished for them to do, He had set before them an open door. This church had a way of escape. Jesus says to them in verse 10, “Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.” Considering what this book, “The Revelation of Jesus Christ”, is about it may very well be Jesus is referring to the terrible events recorded in it. Some believe the promise was specifically for the church at Philadelphia and others look to it as a promise to all true believers in Christ. What is for sure is when Jesus sets before us an open door we can walk through it because no man can shut it.

no man can shut it – When God gives us an opportunity to serve or way of escape no man can keep us from it. Prov 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe. Paul wrote in 2 Cor 10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds, casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. Half the battle is seeing things correctly. To see God has set before us an open door and the weapons of our warfare are mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds moves us close to victory. All that's left is the actions necessary to claim it. No man can prevent us.

Re: THE REVELATION CHAPTER 3 VERSES 7 & 8

Keep it coming preacher! Good stuff.

Thread Information