Thread: HEART PROBLEMS

HEART PROBLEMS

Mark 7:14-16, 20-23

We have a very real and very desperate problem, it's a heart problem. There can be a great misunderstanding about what the heart is and the role it has in our life. The importance of the heart can be seen in scripture. Prov 23:7 says, “for as he thinketh in his heart, so is he”. Paul wrote in Rom 10:9-10 ...if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Consider also what Jesus says in our text. The heart is the source of our wickedness and rebellion against God, What's in it will determine what we become and with it we can believe unto righteousness. What is the heart and why is it such an important place? The word “heart” is found 231 times in the Old Testament and over 160 times in the New Testament. In scripture it describes the inner man, the inner part, the mind, the thinking, the understanding, it's where we find our will, our inclination, our resolution, our determination, our reflection, our memory, our passions, our appetites, our purposes and the strength for our endeavors. Our heart determines everything about us even where we will spend eternity.

Some believe when your emotions become involved it means your heart is involved, but that is only partially true. God is concerned about more than just our emotions. Getting emotional can't, in itself, bring about lasting change. Many believe emotions is what makes something real, we feel it so it has to be real, but reality and/or truth does not originate in emotional feelings, reality and truth originate with God. For something to enter into our heart we must embrace it. When we embrace something or take it into our heart it effects our thinking, our understanding, our will, our inclination, our resolution, our determination, our reflection, our memory, our passions, our appetites, our purposes and our endeavors. When that becomes true we can say whatever it is it's in our heart.

In James chapter two James was concerned about exposing a kind of belief that doesn't effect the heart. James 2:14-20 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? A belief that doesn't change the heart and effect a person's reality is worth nothing and that was exactly the point James was trying to make. Some other verses that show us why the heart is so important. Ps 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Before the fool ever says it with his lips, he has already said it in his heart. Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Issues means going forth or borders. People make a mess out of their lives because they won't take into their heart the truth and reality of God that can set borders and builds walls to protect them. Prov 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way. In our heart is where decisions are made that determine our direction affecting our lives and the lives of others. Prov 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. Foolishness leads to ruin. The rod of correction can help to displace foolishness and rebellion with the reality of a higher and loving authority. The heart is an important place that God is very concerned about.

Let's examine an important truth found in our text about the heart. Look again at Mark 7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man. It's not specifically what goes in that causes defilement, it's what comes out. That doesn't mean we shouldn't seek to control what goes in, but it surly means we should seek to control what comes out. Dr. Adrian Rogers used to say we need to be saved not so much because of what we've done, but because of what we are. We have a real problem because of the path mankind has chosen. That path can be found in Rom 1:21-23 ...when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Step 1, Knowing there is a God, but failing to perceive Him properly as Creator, Lord and Savior. Step 2, Becoming unthankful through an improper focus on self. Step 3, Thoughts and reasoning become empty because there is no enlightenment from God. Step 4, Entry into spiritual and moral darkness. Step 5, Professing to possess wisdom and understanding people exclude God or change Him into a god of human reasoning. That path has led us to darkness and deception. Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? When something goes into a darkened and deceitful heart what comes out will not be good. James 1:14-15 ...every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Left to ourselves we are destined for destruction. So what's the answer?

His name is Jesus and we need Him to save us by changing us from the inside out. We start by embracing Him. How do we do that? Isa 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. Jesus said in John 3:14-15 ...as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. "Look unto Me, and be ye saved". Can it be as simple as that? Man loves a complicated system of salvation. Examine the religions of the world and you'll see it. They are full of traditions, ordinances, and complicated ceremonies. People want their minister to stand and tell them what they can do to be saved so they can glory in self, but we must receive a Savior who paid it all, the full price for our redemption. Real salvation is based on who Jesis is and what He has done. Anything other than that will not begin any real change. Anything other than that will leave us the same as we have always been and that's the condition of many who profess to be saved. When you embrace the real Savior He begins real change.

The next step toward real inward change is embracing the Word of God. Listen to these verses from Psalm 119, “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.” “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.” “Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.” “I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.” “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” “The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.” Fully embracing God's promises can make us partakers of His divine nature. 2 Pet 1:2-4 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, according as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Nature is the essence, essential qualities or attributes of a person, which constitute who he or she is. To have the nature of God we must embrace His promises to us. Only then can we truly live like this world is not our home.

We have a heart problem, but God has the solution. It's time to show the world that God can truly save and that who He saves will never be the same.

2. Re: HEART PROBLEMS

Having issues? You may need expert help. If you find yourself in an adverse situation, I recommend visiting Dr. Jesus for all your personal needs or issues. He gives free health care and will give you the straight truth about the situation and tell you all you need to know right upfront, no detailed interrogation or investigation required... but if he does ask you questions, you should answer honestly, of course.

Thread Information