Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the Ark of the Covenant?

Re: Where is the Ark of the Covenant?

Ark of the covenant most likely completely disappeared. When the army of the Babylonian king attacked Jerusalem and destroyed the Temple, before that he was robbed many valuable things were taken out. Such a fate probably befell the ark.
    The Jewish consciousness could not reconcile with the loss of the ark, which is why a legend arose that the ark was hidden and located somewhere in a cave in the mountains. I think it's not true. More plausible - it was taken to Babylon, gold was seized and remelted, the wooden part and contents were destroyed.

In many ways, it is more useful to ask, "What is the ark of the covenant?" The physical ark (with its associated power from God) were provided in the early books of the Bible to show that God makes covenant with his people. The items in the ark showed about that: Aaron's rod that budded was a picture of how Christ resurrects to make the covenant to save his own, the words of the law inside the box were a picture of God's word concerning his covenant with his people in all their unchanging-ness, the manna inside the box was a picture of how Christ came down from heaven to feed his people spiritually with himself that his people might eat spiritually and live in him forever. We remember that only priests could carry the ark. This was a picture of how only saved persons can carry the covenant, or better put, be in covenant with God by his power and will correctly. It helps me to think of the other ark, the boat, which is a picture of the same thing really. Remember how those inside the ark survive during the flood because they are safe inside the covenant of God. So, where is the ark today? The ark is simply the covenant which God has with those who are saved today. You can't point to it physically. Today it is simply the fact that God is in covenant with his saved people that he elects. That is why the book of Revelation says that the ark was seen. It is parable language for saying that God is in covenant with his people, anyone who is saved. The physical ark of acacia wood and gold that was mentioned in the early books of the Bible might still be somewhere on the planet, either in completely destroyed form, in much destroyed form or even in decent condition, considering it was of gold, but seeing it physically would not do anything these days to further or lessen a person's salvation. Not unless someone's heart were opened to understand or receive its spiritual pattern, the good news it contains for the saved, if you get my meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by JChesney View Post
    The Jewish consciousness could not reconcile with the loss of the ark, which is why a legend arose that the ark was hidden and located somewhere in a cave in the mountains.
    It's not a "legend", it's in the book 2 Maccabees.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

I would contact Nicolas Cage for the answer to that one. It has become a "national treasure" or so it seems.

According to Indiana Jones it's currently in a storage warehouse at Area 51. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    It's not a "legend", it's in the book 2 Maccabees.
    Yes, this legend was included in 2 Maccabees (2:4-5). "The same document also describes how the prophet, warned by an oracle, gave orders for the tent and the ark to go with him, when he set out for the mountain which Moses had climbed to survey God's heritage. On his arrival, Jeremiah found a cave-dwelling, into which he put the tent, the ark and the altar of incense, afterwards blocking up the entrance."
    What is the document or writing was in front of the author of 2Maccabees? It was some kind of Jewish legend, apparently in the form of a written document (because the author is talking about it: ἦν δὲ ἐν τῇ γραφῇ). However, in the Jewish tradition this legend with the location of the ark did not acquire a stable state, and you said above that the Talmud has given the reference to the Temple Mount as the location of the ark.

Yes, this legend was included in 2 Maccabees (2:4-5).
    And here I thought the bible was holy writ, the literal word of God.

However, in the Jewish tradition this legend with the location of the ark did not acquire a stable state, and you said above that the Talmud has given the reference to the Temple Mount as the location of the ark.
    I have no idea where it is. But I didn't like this statement : "The Jewish consciousness could not reconcile with the loss of the ark". What's at play here is not "The Jewish consciousness". The ark was not a normal object. When the Philistines captured it they were struck by plagues. When Uzzah touched it he was struck dead. It's difficult to imagine that such an object could just be destroyed with no consequences. But perhaps it was. Anyway...
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

I have no idea where it is. But I didn't like this statement : "The Jewish consciousness could not reconcile with the loss of the ark". What's at play here is not "The Jewish consciousness". The ark was not a normal object. When the Philistines captured it they were struck by plagues. When Uzzah touched it he was struck dead. It's difficult to imagine that such an object could just be destroyed with no consequences. But perhaps it was. Anyway...
    Not only the Jewish consciousness, but also the consciousness of the modern believer refuses to recognize that the ark could so easily disappear without consequences. But apparently it was God's will.

Not only the Jewish consciousness, but also the consciousness of the modern believer refuses to recognize that the ark could so easily disappear without consequences.
    Actually I am Jewish.

But apparently it was God's will.
    Perhaps. As I said, I don't know what happened to it, and the bible doesn't say.

Isaiah 54

Perhaps. As I said, I don't know what happened to it, and the bible doesn't say.
    and we have two legends regarding the location of the ark, but both of them emerged as respond to the protest of religious consciousness (about which it was said above), and it is unlikely that they are associated with real sources of information about the true fate of the ark.

and we have two legends regarding the location of the ark, but both of them emerged as respond to the protest of religious consciousness
    And you know this...how?
    (about which it was said above), and it is unlikely that they are associated with real sources of information about the true fate of the ark.
    Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. We don't know. We can't know.

Isaiah 54

And you know this...how?

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. We don't know. We can't know.
    here we can see what is more likely. Two Jewish legends for me are equally improbable and fabulous. It seems plausible that ark was confiscated into Babylon and in further it was disappearance without a trace.

Thread Information