Thread: 501c3 ??????????

501c3 ??????????

Does anyone know about or have had experience with starting up a non-profit corporation ministry?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Re: 501c3 ??????????

What do you need to know?

The Lord has given me a vision for a ministry of building unity between the Christian churches and congregations in my city. This will be a unique, unprecedented ministry. It is meant to be a neutral Christian organization with the one goal of building unity between Christian congregations. A unity which is unprecedented in scale while being both practical and lasting.

The ministry part itself will be relatively easy I think. I’ve been praying and seeking the Lord about it now for a few years. So much of the general organization of it has been figured out. But it also requires me to come before pastors of the different churches to get their buy in and allow the members of their congregations to participate.

To do this, this ministry needs to have a level of legitimacy to it … hence the reason I need to establish it as a 501c3 non-profit corp. I can’t appear to those pastors as someone walking off the street wanting to get their congregation members.

Though the ministry organization is the easy part; it’s the legally creating a corporation and getting a 501c3 status I am clueless about.

What is involved?
    Is there a certain order of steps to take?
    What are those steps?
    Should I involve lawyers?
    Etc.?

"Our Hope is unchanged"

Blog Entries

A Mere Christianity ministry. Hope it goes well. Look forward to hearing about it.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

You can incorporate with the state as a non-profit without filing for 501(c)(3) with the IRS. Based on your description, that's what I'd do. It's much simpler and gives you the "credibility" that you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    You can incorporate with the state as a non-profit without filing for 501(c)(3) with the IRS. Based on your description, that's what I'd do. It's much simpler and gives you the "credibility" that you're looking for.
    How would that affect any receiving of donations or fundraising? Wouldn't I need federal recognition? Every ministry needs at least some finances to operate. Though I assume this one will be operating on a shoe string budget for some time. However if the Lord is in this He will provide (that is His responsibility after all).

"Our Hope is unchanged"

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    How would that affect any receiving of donations or fundraising? Wouldn't I need federal recognition? Every ministry needs at least some finances to operate. Though I assume this one will be operating on a shoe string budget for some time. However if the Lord is in this He will provide (that is His responsibility after all).
    Every non-profit is a defacto 501(c)(3). But if you were ever challenged in a court you would need to show that you handled your financials in the same way as an organization that filed. Contributions are still tax-deductible for non-profits that are not 501(c)(3).

Get some better advice than what you'll get here, but I would just go state non-profit and then see how things progressed. If you decide to file later, it will still get retro status from the time you started.

Thread Information