Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Saving Faith

The Saving Faith

For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God” Ephesians 2:8

The major essence of God’s gift of righteousness or justification is eternal salvation.

From scriptures, we understand that the major salvation of God through the Lord Jesus Christ is salvation from sin and its consequent punishment. Hence, even the very name of our Lord Jesus, means savior.

The bible tells us in Matthew 1:21:
    And she shall bring forth a Son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins”.

Then again, the bible is also very clear that the only way to receive this eternal salvation from God through Jesus Christ is, Faith.
    Let’s see some scriptures that assert this fact apart from our opening text:

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”.
    And he said unto them, go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be condemned”—Mark 16:15-16

And brought them out, and said Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house”—Acts 16:30-31.

But the question here is: what kind of faith or believe is the bible referring to, that gives this eternal salvation? To understand the kind of faith that is required for salvation, we need to examine two kinds of faith as presented by Saint James.

“Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, you have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God; you do well: the demons also believe, and tremble. But will you know O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” James 2:17-20

From the above scripture, Saint James helps us differentiate between two kinds of faith. These are: the demonic faith and the perfect faith.

The Demonic Faith

The demonic faith is the faith that believes in God, but regardless, is not submissive or obedient to God’s commandments. It is the faith that says Jesus is Lord, but does not treat him as Lord indeed. It is the faith that says Jesus is the Lord with the mouth but denies him in deeds.

The demonic faith is the faith without corresponding good works or actions. The demonic faith is a dead faith.

And unfortunately this kind of faith is what has become dominant in Christendom today. A greater percentage of Christ’s believers walk in this kind of faith. Yes, they believe and have even confessed Jesus as their Lord and personal savior.

They confess they are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. They even preach the gospel with all vigor. Most of them are involved in service groups in the church. They even include: Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists, Deacons and Deaconesses, Choir Masters and Mistresses.

But in spite of all these, they deny and reproach Christ in their actions and daily lifestyles.

They deny and reproach him in their words, in their dressing; they deny him in their relationship with their spouses and neighbours. They deny and reproach Christ in their business dealings. Yet they believe in Jesus and even profess same with their mouth. To the folks that belong to this group; with this kind of faith, the Lord Jesus asks: “And why call me, Lord, Lord; and do not the things which I say?”—Luke 6:46.

So to believe in Jesus and not do his commandments is to be walking in demonic and dead faith. And of course, this kind of faith doesn’t justify, neither does it give eternal salvation.

The Perfect Faith

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his Son upon the altar? See how faith worked with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?”—James 2:21-22

The scripture above tells us clearly how our father in the faith, Abraham was justified. The scripture tells us that Abraham was justified by faith, but his faith was a perfect faith. His faith was perfected by his work of obedience and love for God.

Hence, we can define the perfect faith, to mean, the faith that is backed with obedience or compliance to God’s instructions. The perfect faith is the faith that works with the fear of God. For after Abraham has laid Isaac on the altar, the Lord said to Abraham, I know that you fear God (Genesis 22:12).

The perfect faith is the faith that works with love for God and people. James 2:15 says:
    If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, depart in peace; be warmed and filled; yet give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?”

Hence, perfect faith sacrifices for God and man. The perfect faith is the faith that bears or shares the burden of others. Thus, the Apostle Paul, by the Spirit tells us in Galatians 5:6, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which works by love”.

So the perfect faith is the justifying and saving faith in Christ Jesus. Put the other way, the saving faith is the perfect faith. And it is the faith that goes along with good works. The word of God tells us that a man is not justified by faith alone, but also by works—James2:24. And of course, works here means, Love, Obedience and godliness or holiness.

The bible also tells us in that same book of James 2:26 that “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also”.

So my beloved friend, if you already believe in Jesus Christ, congratulations! You have faith. But to obtain absolute or perfect justification, according to scriptures, engage your faith in good works for God. And as you do and continue doing so to the very end, you’re guaranteed of eternity with Christ in paradise.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Re: The Saving Faith

Can you name an essential good work fundamental to receive justification? If not, define what is the characteristic type of work that is necessary here. How does this play out in your life. I ask not because I wish to challenge your essay, it is very good. It is application of the teaching that causes much struggle sometimes. Someone may not know what good work they need to do, they may interpret what you mean as giving alms, or going to church every Sunday, or volunteering at the homeless shelter, etc.... How do you see it?
    As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aijalon View Post
    Can you name an essential good work fundamental to receive justification? If not, define what is the characteristic type of work that is necessary here. How does this play out in your life. I ask not because I wish to challenge your essay, it is very good. It is application of the teaching that causes much struggle sometimes. Someone may not know what good work they need to do, they may interpret what you mean as giving alms, or going to church every Sunday, or volunteering at the homeless shelter, etc.... How do you see it?
    The good works are the exact works of Jesus. You know, the Bible says God anointed him and he went about doing good. Such as works of Love and Faith; and godliness. You know, he went about preaching the gospel to the poor, healing the sick, raising the dead, casting out devils. He fed the multitudes. Then he was bold enough to ask, " which of you convinces me of sin".

Then all that you mentioned are good works as well. You know Cornelius' alms deed was remembered by God. James tells us that true and pure religion is to be spotless and visit the afflicted in their afflictions (paraphrasing).
    Emeke Odili is a Christian Teacher, Preacher, Author, Writer and Blogger. He has a divinely given vision of practically teaching people how to make success in life through absolute righteousness and faith. Emeke is married to his best friend, Joy. He shares life-transforming articles at his blog: www.righteousfaith.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by emekrus View Post
    For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God” Ephesians 2:8

The major essence of God’s gift of righteousness or justification is eternal salvation.

From scriptures, we understand that the major salvation of God through the Lord Jesus Christ is salvation from sin and its consequent punishment. Hence, even the very name of our Lord Jesus, means savior.

The bible tells us in Matthew 1:21:
    And she shall bring forth a Son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins”.

Then again, the bible is also very clear that the only way to receive this eternal salvation from God through Jesus Christ is, Faith.
    Let’s see some scriptures that assert this fact apart from our opening text:

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”.
    And he said unto them, go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be condemned”—Mark 16:15-16

And brought them out, and said Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house”—Acts 16:30-31.

But the question here is: what kind of faith or believe is the bible referring to, that gives this eternal salvation? To understand the kind of faith that is required for salvation, we need to examine two kinds of faith as presented by Saint James.

“Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, you have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God; you do well: the demons also believe, and tremble. But will you know O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” James 2:17-20

From the above scripture, Saint James helps us differentiate between two kinds of faith. These are: the demonic faith and the perfect faith.

The Demonic Faith

The demonic faith is the faith that believes in God, but regardless, is not submissive or obedient to God’s commandments. It is the faith that says Jesus is Lord, but does not treat him as Lord indeed. It is the faith that says Jesus is the Lord with the mouth but denies him in deeds.

The demonic faith is the faith without corresponding good works or actions. The demonic faith is a dead faith.

And unfortunately this kind of faith is what has become dominant in Christendom today. A greater percentage of Christ’s believers walk in this kind of faith. Yes, they believe and have even confessed Jesus as their Lord and personal savior.

They confess they are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. They even preach the gospel with all vigor. Most of them are involved in service groups in the church. They even include: Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists, Deacons and Deaconesses, Choir Masters and Mistresses.

But in spite of all these, they deny and reproach Christ in their actions and daily lifestyles.

They deny and reproach him in their words, in their dressing; they deny him in their relationship with their spouses and neighbours. They deny and reproach Christ in their business dealings. Yet they believe in Jesus and even profess same with their mouth. To the folks that belong to this group; with this kind of faith, the Lord Jesus asks: “And why call me, Lord, Lord; and do not the things which I say?”—Luke 6:46.

So to believe in Jesus and not do his commandments is to be walking in demonic and dead faith. And of course, this kind of faith doesn’t justify, neither does it give eternal salvation.

The Perfect Faith

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his Son upon the altar? See how faith worked with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?”—James 2:21-22

The scripture above tells us clearly how our father in the faith, Abraham was justified. The scripture tells us that Abraham was justified by faith, but his faith was a perfect faith. His faith was perfected by his work of obedience and love for God.

Hence, we can define the perfect faith, to mean, the faith that is backed with obedience or compliance to God’s instructions. The perfect faith is the faith that works with the fear of God. For after Abraham has laid Isaac on the altar, the Lord said to Abraham, I know that you fear God (Genesis 22:12).

The perfect faith is the faith that works with love for God and people. James 2:15 says:
    If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, depart in peace; be warmed and filled; yet give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?”

Hence, perfect faith sacrifices for God and man. The perfect faith is the faith that bears or shares the burden of others. Thus, the Apostle Paul, by the Spirit tells us in Galatians 5:6, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which works by love”.

So the perfect faith is the justifying and saving faith in Christ Jesus. Put the other way, the saving faith is the perfect faith. And it is the faith that goes along with good works. The word of God tells us that a man is not justified by faith alone, but also by works—James2:24. And of course, works here means, Love, Obedience and godliness or holiness.

The bible also tells us in that same book of James 2:26 that “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also”.

So my beloved friend, if you already believe in Jesus Christ, congratulations! You have faith. But to obtain absolute or perfect justification, according to scriptures, engage your faith in good works for God. And as you do and continue doing so to the very end, you’re guaranteed of eternity with Christ in paradise.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili
    Demonic faith? or just the regular old human carnal religious belief based on indoctrination into various false doctrines based on some bible verses that are taken out of context. Of course the devil teaches these doctrines...the doctrines of demons..which most people receive as the truth. Very popular with people...because they sound easy.

The good works are the exact works of Jesus. You know, the Bible says God anointed him and he went about doing good. Such as works of Love and Faith; and godliness. You know, he went about preaching the gospel to the poor, healing the sick, raising the dead, casting out devils. He fed the multitudes. Then he was bold enough to ask, " which of you convinces me of sin".

Then all that you mentioned are good works as well. You know Cornelius' alms deed was remembered by God. James tells us that true and pure religion is to be spotless and visit the afflicted in their afflictions (paraphrasing).
    The " works" you speak of are the fruits of the Spirit being displayed in our lives because of salvation. These works are not a means unto salvation. Humongous difference, and one that need's to be constantly brought up it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    Demonic faith? or just the regular old human carnal religious belief based on indoctrination into various false doctrines based on some bible verses that are taken out of context. Of course the devil teaches these doctrines...the doctrines of demons..which most people receive as the truth. Very popular with people...because they sound easy.
    I can agree with this. And would add that at least demons tremble ( if you know what I mean ).

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    The "works" you speak of are the fruits of the Spirit being displayed in our lives because of salvation. These works are not a means unto salvation. Humongous difference, and one that need's to be constantly brought up it seems.
    Amen! Good works are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of saving faith in Christ, but not the essence of faith and not the means of our salvation.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

The " works" you speak of are the fruits of the Spirit being displayed in our lives because of salvation. These works are not a means unto salvation. Humongous difference, and one that need's to be constantly brought up it seems.
    But saint James says we are not saved by Faith only but with works as well. Below is the exact words of James:

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.--James 2:24

What do you make of this?

But saint James says we are not saved by Faith only but with works as well. Below is the exact words of James:

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.--James 2:24

James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is "shown to be righteous." James is discussing the proof/evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18), not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God (Romans 4:2-3). *Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

In the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, the Greek word for justified "dikaioo" #1344 is:

1. to render righteous or such he ought to be
    2. to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
    3. to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

In Matthew 12:37, we read - "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." This is because our words (and our works) reveal the condition of our hearts. Words/works will appear to be evidences for, or against a heart that is right with God.

God is said to have been justified by those who were baptized by John the Baptist (Luke 7:29). This act pronounced or declared God to be righteous. It did not make him righteous. The basis or ground for the pronouncement was the fact that God IS righteous. Notice that the NIV reads, "acknowledged that God's way was right.." The ESV reads, "they declared God just.." This is the sense in which God was justified, "shown to be righteous".

Matthew 11:19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified/vindicated/shown to be right by her deeds."

*So man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is vindicated, substantiated, evidenced by works (James 2:14-24).

*Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works.

*It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not by the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies is never alone (solitary, unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine (James 2:14-24). *Perfect Harmony*
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

The Demonic Faith

In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to validate his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine.

In James 2:19, we see that the demons believe "mental assent" that "there is one God" but they do not believe/entrust their spiritual well being to Christ; have faith/reliance upon Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. *Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to validate his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine.

In James 2:19, we see that the demons believe "mental assent" that "there is one God" but they do not believe/entrust their spiritual well being to Christ; have faith/reliance upon Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. *Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.
    Concerning James 2:14, here is a thought... doesn't it seem that those who are faithful, NEVER really have to speak of or "proclaim" their faith. Instead they speak testimony of what God has done and is doing in their life and through them, into the lives of others. Most times, they don't even have to speak testimony as just by viewing their life, the changes and what they now do, proclaims Christ and faith in Him.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

It seems there is no end to people claiming a piece of God’s glory for themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Concerning James 2:14, here is a thought... doesn't it seem that those who are faithful, NEVER really have to speak of or "proclaim" their faith. Instead they speak testimony of what God has done and is doing in their life and through them, into the lives of others. Most times, they don't even have to speak testimony as just by viewing their life, the changes and what they now do, proclaims Christ and faith in Him.
    Amen brother! The faithful walk the walk, instead of merely talking the talk.

He doesn't say that at all. He says that works will accompany true faith. I just don't know what's so hard to understand about this.

One is of our own effort.
    The other is of God's Spirit.

Tell me which you would trust ?

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

He doesn't say that at all. He says that works will accompany true faith. I just don't know what's so hard to understand about this.

One is of our own effort.
    The other is of God's Spirit.

Tell me which you would trust ?
    Good catch!

Works are evidence OF one's justification in Christ. You could say it this way, Jesus produces glorifying works through those who are faithful and have been redeemed/justified.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Thread Information