Thread: - Growing Spiritually in the LORD –

Blog Entries

- Growing Spiritually in the LORD –

Psalm 119:27, “Make me understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I meditate on Your wonderful works”
    2 Peter 3:18, “Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”

The financial advisor told me he wanted to help me invest wisely in my future as he began his talk about investing in 401(k)s and retirement funds. He wanted me to continue putting money in the stock market during all the ups and downs of the economy because historically a good return will eventually occur.

God in His Eternal Word wants his children to invest wisely in their spiritual future as well. Through the ups and downs of life’s circumstances we should continually invest in a “spiritual account” - our character. The apostle Peter tells us to be diligent about character development (2 Peter 1:5-11). After we trust in Christ for salvation, we are to invest these qualities into our character:

(1) Faith,
    (2) Virtue,
    (3) Knowledge,
    (4) Self-control,
    (5) Perseverance,
    (6) Godliness,
    (7) Brotherly kindness, and
    (8) Love.

The future returns on our investment in our character will be godliness (2 Peter 1:5-7), fruitfulness in the knowledge of Jesus Christ (v. 8), assurance of our calling (v. 9), and victory over sin (v. 10). My beloved, investing money in a retirement fund can be profitable; however, investing in our spiritual lives offers the best kind of return for our future!

Further thoughts:

My beloved, in this instant age in which we live, we tend to and are always looking for shorter and easier ways of doing things. However, there is no way to acquire instant spiritual maturity regarding God’s Eternal Word. We cannot press a key, or click a computer button and have God suddenly create in us a wonderful, well-rounded knowledge of Him and His Word. Abraham couldn’t. It took years of seeking, trusting, waiting and obeying before he fully knew the God who called him (and so it is with us).

It was the same with Joseph, Moses, and David. God, our Creator, gave us His Book, and we need to make it our Book. We need to read it, meditate on it, putting into practice what it says, and then we will begin to know a little more of God Himself. His Eternal Word is nourishment for our mind, body and soul. Psalm 119:94 says, “I have sought Your precepts” and Psalm 119:105 tell us, “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path”. The questions that believers in Christ must ask would be:

(1) Do I realize how much I need the light of God’s Word each day?
    (2) Am I developing the habit of reading and studying it regularly?
    (3) Am I investing spiritually for the future?

It is God’s will that we should read
    His Word from day to day;
    Not just for knowledge, but for this:
    To know Him and obey. - Hess

Open your Bible prayerfully, read it carefully, obey it joyfully because now is the time to invest in eternity.
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil" - Proverbs 3:5-7

LNC, U. S. Navy
    Retired

My Blog at Wordpress - https://www.hiseternalword.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Re: - Growing Spiritually in the LORD –

Very good! Did you write this or borrow it from somewhere?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

I wrote it several months ago and finally posted it.
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil" - Proverbs 3:5-7

LNC, U. S. Navy
    Retired

My Blog at Wordpress - https://www.hiseternalword.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Keep writing. That was good.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Thread Information