Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Does Deliverance Mean?

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: What Does Deliverance Mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    But it reads to me at least in Ps. 34's case that David is talking about being saved out of the worst, not just being given the strength to live in it. In the post you linked to, you mention the Israelites in Egypt and Moses's discouragement as an example of prayer. My view is that Israel was not yet delivered while they were still slaves:

Say therefore to the people of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.' (Ex. 6:6)

So deliverance here must mean being freed from slavery itself, not simply being able to persevere as slaves. Is there maybe an example in Scripture where God says someone is "delivered" from a situation even though they remain in it? I think this would help me understand your point of view.
    I'll write more later (tomorrow), getting ready to head off to a conference and I have no clue what time I'll get home tonight.

In a sense, we can look at a big picture and equate that "salvation" is deliverance from this world, but until glorification, we are "still in/remain in" the world.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: What Does Deliverance Mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Jesus referred to being slaves to sin. So we can be "delivered" from sin that is in us. As for our circumstances, sometimes we get rescued from them and sometimes we do not. Hebrews 11 speaks of men cut in two that the world was not worthy of. They were not rescued from their martyrdom.

When I think of deliverance, I think of tearing down strongholds first and foremost... i.e. deliverance from sin and all the habits associated with sin.
    Hooah! Which is how we teach through our recovery program, what is/can be initial deliverance from addiction, hurts, etc.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Thread Information