Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does Deliverance Mean?

Blog Entries

What Does Deliverance Mean?

The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. Psalm 34

1. Is this a promise that applies today in life, or is it only speaking of the resurrection?

2. Does the Lord deliver the righteous in every case?

3. Can you be "delivered" from something and continue to suffer in it?
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: What Does Deliverance Mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. Psalm 34

1. Is this a promise that applies today in life, or is it only speaking of the resurrection?

In reading your post, I am reminded of a book called, "Tortured for Christ." You need to get it...

Also, check this out (saw at the bottom of the page)... a devo about self-deliverance: https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...lf-Deliverance
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

I read an amazing testimony once of a sister named Corrie Ten Boom, who was imprisoned in a concentration camp during WW2. Years after her liberation from that awful place, she met one of the guards who sadisticly abused her during her captivity. He asked her forgivness, but she froze. With the Lords help, she was able to truly forgive him. I believe Jesus delivers us in this life as well as the next.

Thanks for asking. The term 'righteous' means those who are saved. Paul spoke of having a righteousness not his own. In simple terms, those who are saved are relying on Christ's righteousness. The righteous, then, have been given the ability by God to trust in Him. In answer to question #1, yes, this is a promise that applies today in life and always for saved persons. In answer to question #2, yes, the Lord delivers the righteous in every case. What I mean by that is that it is impossible for a saved person to become unsaved. By very definition here, the person is saved. Only God knows who is saved, but those who are saved know in the sense that the Spirit bears witness within them that they are the children of God. Jesus is called the deliverer in Romans 11. A verse there explains that deliverance is about turning ungodliness away from those he saves. He takes away their sins. That is his covenant with the saved persons. He takes away their sins. That is deliverance. In answer to question number 3, the spirit of the Lord is given to a saved person who then calls out for help from God, like calling out to a father for help, and the Lord hears a saved person's request, and saves them. There are many different experiences each saved person may have but God will always save them for eternal life. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is "he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:" This means that at the moment of conversion, even though a person was dead in trespasses and sins, yet they are forgiven and given new life and trust in God. The verse after that then tells us such a person will never die after being converted in the sense of they will always be saved.

Hey! Aviyah... : )
    Deliverance means to be set free...
    For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
    Sometimes the thing that we think that we need deliverance from is the Lord's chastening to produce the fruit of righteousness in that believer. Also, the Lord tries our faith to produce in us perseverance. Soetimes, he's just waiting for the prayer of faith to move.
    I'd say that if one is delivered from something, then it stops. Make it into a faith project. Be the widow going to the unjust magistrate, wearing him down by y9our continual coming. Ensnare yourself by the word of your mouth with the prayer of faith. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything with thanksgiving make your requests known unto God and the peace that passes all understanding shall keep your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

Well, it was originally written in Hebrew. The Hebrew reads "וּמִכָּל־צָֽ֜רוֹתָ֗ם הִצִּילָֽם" of which a better translation would be "from their woes they are delivered". The words in question is Strongs 5337, seen here: http://biblehub.com/hebrew/5337.htm

I actually know a woman with this name 'Hitzil'. Anyway, I know Christians tend to see everything in a "spritualized" manner, but the word just means what it means. To "deliver (from)"
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Well, it was originally written in Hebrew. The Hebrew reads "וּמִכָּל־צָֽ֜רוֹתָ֗ם הִצִּילָֽם" of which a better translation would be "from their woes they are delivered". The words in question is Strongs 5337, seen here: http://biblehub.com/hebrew/5337.htm I actually know a woman with this name 'Hitzil'. Anyway, I know Christians tend to see everything in a "spritualized" manner, but the word just means what it means. To "deliver (from)"
    Would you say that someone who is not delivered from their "many afflictions/woes" is not righteous, since God never forsakes His promises?

Quote Originally Posted by birdy View Post
    Thanks for asking. The term 'righteous' means those who are saved. Paul spoke of having a righteousness not his own. In simple terms, those who are saved are relying on Christ's righteousness. The righteous, then, have been given the ability by God to trust in Him. In answer to question #1, yes, this is a promise that applies today in life and always for saved persons. In answer to question #2, yes, the Lord delivers the righteous in every case. What I mean by that is that it is impossible for a saved person to become unsaved.
    Okay, so "afflictions" for you only has to do with sin and salvation? This would be what I meant by #1; does the promise apply to this life or is it only saying we will be delivered because the afflictions are gone after we die? IOW, are we not delivered from all (any?) afflictions in this life except for unrighteousness?

Quote Originally Posted by glfglf View Post
    I'd say that if one is delivered from something, then it stops. Make it into a faith project. Be the widow going to the unjust magistrate, wearing him down by y9our continual coming. Ensnare yourself by the word of your mouth with the prayer of faith.
    Is there a scenario where a righteous person can pray for deliverance continually and not receive it?

Would you say that someone who is not delivered from their "many afflictions/woes" is not righteous, since God never forsakes His promises?
    History is full of martyrs who were good people. So we have to conclude that God does things for His purposes that are not our purposes. But if God is truly good, and He is, then everything that He does is good even if we cannot perceive it as such.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    History is full of martyrs who were good people. So we have to conclude that God does things for His purposes that are not our purposes. But if God is truly good, and He is, then everything that He does is good even if we cannot perceive it as such.
    That's why I think Ps. 34 must be speaking of death, since it's the only way for the promise to apply to every righteous person... unless "deliverance" means something more obscure/spiritualized (which I don't think it does).

Alternatively, it's just a hyperbole and is speaking about God's actions "in general." It is a song after all. So God can choose not to deliver specific people and still be holy. It wouldn't negate Ps. 34 because deliverance wouldn't be an actual promise.

Alternatively, it's just a hyperbole and is speaking about God's actions "in general." It is a song after all. So God can choose not to deliver specific people and still be holy. It wouldn't negate Ps. 34 because deliverance wouldn't be an actual promise.
    This would be my understanding. See also Psalm 37:25 I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.

Isaiah 54

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Is there a scenario where a righteous person can pray for deliverance continually and not receive it?
    The Apostle Paul prayed and after the third prayer, God said basically, "NO" and then gave a reason:

2 Cor 12:8-10

Deliverance in the context of your thread, is usually "the" resulting empowerment to endure or overcome (or any combination) so a person can persevere through the worst.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Sometimes God delivers us OUT of the situation and sometimes God delivers us IN the situation. We must trust Him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    The Apostle Paul prayed and after the third prayer, God said basically, "NO" and then gave a reason:

2 Cor 12:8-10

Deliverance in the context of your thread, is usually "the" resulting empowerment to endure or overcome (or any combination) so a person can persevere through the worst.
    But it reads to me at least in Ps. 34's case that David is talking about being saved out of the worst, not just being given the strength to live in it. In the post you linked to, you mention the Israelites in Egypt and Moses's discouragement as an example of prayer. My view is that Israel was not yet delivered while they were still slaves:

Say therefore to the people of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.' (Ex. 6:6)

So deliverance here must mean being freed from slavery itself, not simply being able to persevere as slaves. Is there maybe an example in Scripture where God says someone is "delivered" from a situation even though they remain in it? I think this would help me understand your point of view.

Blog Entries

Answers.

1. The Lord's promise in Psalm 34 as quoted is applicable to the faithful at all times.

2. God's promise to deliver is immutable, however, it depends on the situation. Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: In situations like this, God may refrain from stepping in. But often the immature believer may not recognise that what he's are going through is a chastening from God that will increase him in faith but enrich him in experience.

3. Yes. For example, if God delivers someone from an immoral habit and the person chooses to continue in such indulgence, he will undoubtedly suffer greater affliction. Luke 11:23 He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth.

24 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.

25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.

26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

But it reads to me at least in Ps. 34's case that David is talking about being saved out of the worst, not just being given the strength to live in it. In the post you linked to, you mention the Israelites in Egypt and Moses's discouragement as an example of prayer. My view is that Israel was not yet delivered while they were still slaves:

Say therefore to the people of Israel, 'I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.' (Ex. 6:6)

So deliverance here must mean being freed from slavery itself, not simply being able to persevere as slaves. Is there maybe an example in Scripture where God says someone is "delivered" from a situation even though they remain in it? I think this would help me understand your point of view.
    Jesus referred to being slaves to sin. So we can be "delivered" from sin that is in us. As for our circumstances, sometimes we get rescued from them and sometimes we do not. Hebrews 11 speaks of men cut in two that the world was not worthy of. They were not rescued from their martyrdom.

When I think of deliverance, I think of tearing down strongholds first and foremost... i.e. deliverance from sin and all the habits associated with sin.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information