Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tree of knowledge of good and evil

Cool Re: Tree of knowledge of good and evil

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
    The tree imparted knowledge via an internal realisation, but not because the food itself was revelatory (which the food didn't need to be; the mechanism already existed within human psychology, so adding an additional layer is unnecessary complexity). They ate, realised they had disobeyed, and the rest followed. Were Adam and Eve so completely unaware that they would have only realised the significance of their act if the food they ate imparted the requisite knowledge? I don't think so. After all, that they chose to eat means that they were already capable of making moral decisions, and it does no good to suggest that they only became morally aware after eating, when they had to have been to make the decision in the first place. They wouldn't have remained ignorant, either (of consequences); had they not eaten they would have also become aware of good and evil vis--vis explicitly obeying (rather than disobeying), but how could that be if they didn't eat the fruit? The fruit was an object lesson.
    I believe the fruit of both trees have a physical and a symbolic component to them. And yes, the fruit actually opened their eyes. God knew they would partake and He knew they had before He even asked. Their guilty consciences made them aware of their nakedness.

What the symbolism boils down to is defining the original sin. That is deciding right from wrong, or good and evil if you will, for themselves instead of trusting God. I believe that was Satan's sin also. He probably said something like why is this evil, just because says so? Not trusting God's truths is what leads to unbelief.

Re: Tree of knowledge of good and evil

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    I believe the fruit of both trees have a physical and a symbolic component to them. And yes, the fruit actually opened their eyes. God knew they would partake and He knew they had before He even asked. Their guilty consciences made them aware of their nakedness.

What the symbolism boils down to is defining the original sin. That is deciding right from wrong, or good and evil if you will, for themselves instead of trusting God. I believe that was Satan's sin also. He probably said something like why is this evil, just because says so? Not trusting God's truths is what leads to unbelief.
    Hey! Deade... PTL!
    As I see it; Eve was deceived and ate to be like God, which was Satan's sin. Adam was not deceived, he ate because he loved Eve more than he did the Lord. So that he did eat of the forbidden fruit and by so doing, he chose Eve's over the Lord. imo... : )
    Maranatha!

Quote Originally Posted by glfglf View Post
    Hey! Deade... PTL!
    As I see it; Eve was deceived and ate to be like God, which was Satan's sin. Adam was not deceived, he ate because he loved Eve more than he did the Lord. So that he did eat of the forbidden fruit and by so doing, he chose Eve's over the Lord. imo... : )
    Maranatha!
    If Adam loved Eve more than he loved God, why would he eat? Why not go back to the Lord for rescue via the Tree of Life? Sin didn't enter through Eve. It entered the world through Adam. There was hope for Eve and for staying in the garden until Adam ate. IMO, he loved himself more than Eve and the Lord, thus, refusing to die (as the 2nd Adam was willing to do in the garden), he chose to eat, thus becoming his own god.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post

What is a conscience? Can you have a conscience if you don't know the difference between good an evil? I can't figure out is folks on this board believe in the doctrine of Original Sin as taught by Saint Augustine or not.

Hey! Freedman... PTL!
    What is a conscience? Can you have a conscience if you don't know the difference between good an evil? I can't figure out is folks on this board believe in the doctrine of Original Sin as taught by Saint Augustine or not.

Our conscience is that organ within our spirits that reacts with guilt to a perceived wrong, sadly it reacts only after after. Now, imo: there is no original sin handed down to us from Adam. But rather, as we see in Rom 15:16: "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" In the Hebrew, the idea is that in the day that you eat of the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil; in that day, in dying thou shalt surely die. The instant Adam did eat, he died spiritually as the Spirit of God was removed from him and his natural body then began to grow old and die as a result. Since then, we are born without the Spirit of God in us as a consequence of Adam's sin which makes our natures to be a carnal nature, separate from God.
    Yikes at Augustine's teachings! I consider the doctrines of the RCC to be based upon the error of hundreds, nay, thousands upon thousands of false teachers that scripture tells us, will come; teaching the traditions of men for the commandments of God, sadly. btw: a saint is a sanctified one; so that every person who has been born of the Spirit is a Saint. I hope I didn't offend! The Lord bless you in Jesus' name.
    Maranatha!

Thread Information