Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attack on Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia

Attack on Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia

In Russia, 22 Jehovah’s Witnesses have been jailed for religious extremism, according to Human Rights Watch. This was in today’s Yahoo News. I’m not a JW and do not agree with all their doctrine, but this seems like a blatant attack on a Christian denomination. I know the Russian Orthodox Church don’t like them very much.

It matters not what denomination or sect is persecuted, we all suffer when one church or another is attacked. If someone on the forums has information or opinion about this, it would be interesting to hear.

If this post should be elsewhere, I understand. I posted here because it is current news.
    The Outlaw Bible StudentStudies on the Fringe of Christianity

A Different Kind of Christian Website

Re: Attack on Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia

I don't know if you knew but about a year ago Russia passed legislation which basically outlaws any form of Christianity other than the Russian Orthodox Church. So it is not just JW's they don't like. It's Pentecostals, Baptists, Methodist or basically anyone who is not Russian Orthodox. It looks like Russia is reverting back to totalitarianism of Soviet days. Only now they allow the Russian Orthodox Church.

Yeah, that is a bit scary - and I thought things were getting better over there!
    The Outlaw Bible StudentStudies on the Fringe of Christianity

A Different Kind of Christian Website

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawBibleStudent View Post
    In Russia, 22 Jehovah’s Witnesses have been jailed for religious extremism, according to Human Rights Watch. This was in today’s Yahoo News. I’m not a JW and do not agree with all their doctrine, but this seems like a blatant attack on a Christian denomination. I know the Russian Orthodox Church don’t like them very much.
    not only the Russian Orthodox Church, but other christian confessions don’t like JW very much.

It matters not what denomination or sect is persecuted, we all suffer when one church or another is attacked. If someone on the forums has information or opinion about this, it would be interesting to hear.
    they are credited with "extremism". But the reason is probably in another, the headquarters of JW organization is in the US, most likely this causes discontent of the leadership of Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    I don't know if you knew but about a year ago Russia passed legislation which basically outlaws any form of Christianity other than the Russian Orthodox Church. So it is not just JW's they don't like. It's Pentecostals, Baptists, Methodist or basically anyone who is not Russian Orthodox. It looks like Russia is reverting back to totalitarianism of Soviet days. Only now they allow the Russian Orthodox Church.
    no it isn't
    all the listed confessions happily live in Russia, and among other things they are more happy than the Orthodox, that witnesses are prohibited.
    Just neo-Protestant churches are not popular in Russia, and therefore not as numerous as in America. The small number of members of neo-Protestants is due to the fact that in Russia there is a traditional Orthodox church with apostolic succession. The modern Orthodox Church is no longer inferior to the Catholic Church in the development of its scientific state. This is no longer a dark medieval church, in which there are many superstitions. And so Orthodox Church is able to meet the spiritual needs of believers today.

Blog Entries

Here’s an article from Christianity Today from April 2017 that gives some info on Russia’s stance.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...ml#storystream

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Here’s an article from Christianity Today from April 2017 that gives some info on Russia’s stance.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...ml#storystream
    The trouble with JW is that the main office of their organization is in the USA. This is the "extremism" of JW in Russia. They just need to create a similar organization (like JW), and have their organization center in Russia, then they will take away any suspicions from themselves. As you can see, in fact the problem is quite solvable, so they do not have to build martyrs of themselves.
    As for the other Protestant churches, I do not think that they should worry, because their direction centers are in Russia (and many communities are registered as independent religious organizations and are self-governing). For example, as far as I know, the Russian Bible Society in Moscow is headed by baptist Anatoly Rudenko.

How does the Russian Orthodox Church view Mary?

Jude
    You never have to advertise a fire. Everyone comes running when there's a fire. Likewise, if your church is on fire, you will not have to advertise it. The community will already know it.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Blog Entries

If this post should be elsewhere, I understand. I posted here because it is current news.
    Persecution of any church denomination often arises from ignorance and intolerance. I watched a BBC documentary recently on the reemergence of the Russian Orthodox church under Putin. Presently, they seem to hold so much sway and influence given they were proscribed under the Communist regime.

For them to sit back and watch the govt. persecute the JW is sad and regrettable. l suppose it comes down to outmuscle any vestige of competition, forgetting that right or wrong, only God should judge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JChesney View Post
    The trouble with JW is that the main office of their organization is in the USA. This is the "extremism" of JW in Russia. They just need to create a similar organization (like JW), and have their organization center in Russia, then they will take away any suspicions from themselves. As you can see, in fact the problem is quite solvable, so they do not have to build martyrs of themselves.
    As for the other Protestant churches, I do not think that they should worry, because their direction centers are in Russia (and many communities are registered as independent religious organizations and are self-governing). For example, as far as I know, the Russian Bible Society in Moscow is headed by baptist Anatoly Rudenko.
    I’m not sure it’s that simple. What do you by other denominations’ “direction centers”? The Watchtower’s main office is in Nee York. But what denominations have their main office/HQ in Russia?

Another cult of Christianity, Mormons, is headquartered in Salt Lake City, UT. Are they having the same issue? My denomination has its main office in Pennsylvania.

Why the heavy focus on the Watchtower? The article speaks about their tactics. I’m thinking that might be the issue.

You could be right. But in light of my comments in this post, show me! Or do you think what I’m pointing out is something to consider?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    How does the Russian Orthodox Church view Mary?
    somewhere in the same way as in the Catholic church, as well as in the ancient eastern (non-Chalcedonian Oriental Orthodoxy) churches.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Another cult of Christianity, Mormons, is headquartered in Salt Lake City, UT. Are they having the same issue? My denomination has its main office in Pennsylvania.
    it is completely unknown whether there were such denominations in Russia before the Communists or before Putin. I think that such religious organizations have never been represented in Russia. I know for sure that there are Catholics, Lutherans, Orthodox secessionists (several), then Baptists, Adventists, Pentecostals and Charismatics, this is among the neo-Protestants. Of course in Russia, the large communities of Islam and Buddhism.

this seems like a blatant attack on a Christian denomination.
    The Jehovah's Witness organization, more accurately called the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Brooklyn NY, commonly called 'the JWs', is not a Christian denomination.

They are accuratley defined as either a non-Christian religion or a pseuo-Christian cult. ('pseudo' being the Greek word for 'false').

This organization can never be considered a 'Christian denomination', because the stand opposed to all Christian denominations, in teaching that their Jesus is a created being, and is not eternal, Almighty YHWH.

Their core false-belief about the nature of Christ excludes them from being a Christian denomination or any semblence of representative of Christianity.

Their false created Jesus cannot save himself from his own sins, much less save anyone else from their sins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    The Jehovah's Witness organization, more accurately called the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Brooklyn NY, commonly called 'the JWs', is not a Christian denomination.

They are accuratley defined as either a non-Christian religion or a pseuo-Christian cult. ('pseudo' being the Greek word for 'false').

This organization can never be considered a 'Christian denomination', because the stand opposed to all Christian denominations, in teaching that their Jesus is a created being, and is not eternal, Almighty YHWH.

Their core false-belief about the nature of Christ excludes them from being a Christian denomination or any semblence of representative of Christianity.

Their false created Jesus cannot save himself from his own sins, much less save anyone else from their sins.
    This is true. Worshipping Jesus as less than Elohim is idol worship. By definition.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    That may well be. But religious discrimination and persecution should not be tolerated, no matter who the victim is.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Thread Information