Thread: 3 John 8-9

3 John 8-9

3 John 1:8-9

KJV 8 We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth. 9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.

MKJV 8 Therefore we ought to entertain such, so that we might be co-workers in the truth. 9 I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to have the preeminence among them, did not receive us.
    These are my thoughts, please share yours.

8 We should receive other believers because we both serve Jesus. To many times we have the attitude that if they arenít a apart of our church then they are not apart of us but truth is there is but one church and it is the church of Jesus everything else is a false church and the church of Jesus isnít in a domination or location but in the Spirit given to us believers.

9 So this letter was wrote but this place chose their desires over truth showing that they werenít fully willing to follow the Lord but would rather seek sin, many today make this chose thinking they are following Jesus because they donít fully understand His truth.
    Live the Halleluyah life

Re: 3 John 8-9

Quote Originally Posted by clarkthompson View Post
    3 John 1:8-9

KJV 8 We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth. 9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.

MKJV 8 Therefore we ought to entertain such, so that we might be co-workers in the truth. 9 I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to have the preeminence among them, did not receive us.
    These are my thoughts, please share yours.

8 We should receive other believers because we both serve Jesus. To many times we have the attitude that if they arenít a apart of our church then they are not apart of us but truth is there is but one church and it is the church of Jesus everything else is a false church and the church of Jesus isnít in a domination or location but in the Spirit given to us believers.

9 So this letter was wrote but this place chose their desires over truth showing that they werenít fully willing to follow the Lord but would rather seek sin, many today make this chose thinking they are following Jesus because they donít fully understand His truth.
    Three problem areas in the Church-Life are addressed here. They are;
    1. Support of full-time workers
    2. Whether to accept help from heathen people or governments
    3. Ambition in the Church and its consequences

(1)
    The Apostles had the task of teaching the Kingdom and the Good News starting, "... both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Act.1:8) That means, that while mostly the Church of any locality will stay in that place and build the Church through the Meetings, there will be a contingent of Christians who TRAVEL for the Gospel. The long road, the foreign territory and the needs of the human dictate that these traveling Messengers need to be financed. So John addresses this. Added to this, while God expects every Christian man to work and eat "his OWN bread" (2nd Thess.3:12), the Church must be prepared to give to the unbeliever who has fallen on hard times (see the "Good Samaritan" in Luke 10). WE do not have to sustain anybody's laziness, but we must be ready to help even the heathen when the hit a crisis. This is called by John as "walking in the truth" (v.4).

(2)
    When God commissioned Israel to build the Tabernacle and both Temples, He required HIS PEOPLE to do it. Israel was to refuse outside help. This came to a head in Ezra 4. The Samaritans, who had replaced the ten northern Tribes of Israel, came forward to help build the Second Temple. But we learn from the Holy Spirit that "they were enemies" (v.1). Zerubbabel, Jeshua and the other Elders refused this. It is God's intent that His House be made by His People. So also the Church. In 1 Corinthians 3:9-10 we learn, "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon." The "we" is found in 1 Corinthians 1:2; "Unto (i) the church of God which is at Corinth, (ii) to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, (iii) called to be saints, with (iv) all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours". The House of God, the Church, should NEVER accept outside help. Paul again addresses this in 2 Corinthians 6:14-16; "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." The context is the "Temple of God" - The Church, and we are not to be joined in "yoke" with the heathen. A "yoke" is for working in the field together.

(3)
    The Church belongs to God. It does not belong to any man. And if a man is gifted, it is to SERVE the Church - not Lord over them. But men have an ego. They love praise. They love to show their prowess. They love to lead other men and be recognized. It is at the very foundation of the Satanic nature we inherited from Adam. Of Satan it is said; "For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High" (Isaiah 14:13-14). Satan loved "preeminence" and we have inherited his nature. Diotrephes depicts this. His ambition was not to serve God, but to have "preeminence". So his name is not "sustained by God" like Moses was for 40 days and nights, and then came down to SERVE Israel (Heb.3:5). "Diotrephes" means "nourished by Jupiter". His ambition was to "ascend into heaven" where Jupiter is. Ambition in the Church is a powerful weapon. It can spur a REAL SERVANT to great service. But it can also DESTROY the Church if aimed at self-aggrandizement. Diotrephes BROKE up the Church. He separated some from the others and refused the UNION that Jesus prayed for. In John 17:21, "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me", we see that DIVISION among the saints destroys the testimony that God has sent Jesus!

Thread Information