Thread: Can we use this tool for evangelism?

Can we use this tool for evangelism?

Hi,

So it seems that this would be the appropriate category to post about things that are related to evangelism, but in case I'm in the wrong category, I hope the admins will redirect me accordingly. Thanks!

Anyway, I came across this article about Play The Bible Ultimate Verses which talks about a mobile app game that is developed by a Christian mobile app developer called, RD Games. It's supposed to be a gaming app which is inspired heavily by the Bible, thus its name and they've even wrote in their website that it could be used for "soft" evangelism or something like non-intrusive evangelism. I tried the game on my Android tablet and I don't see any harm or non-Christian about it, because the word puzzle games makes you solve Bible verses and they also talk about in-game cinematics or Jesus films that you would be introduced to, so it's clear that the developers wanted to present it to the general non-believing audience with the aim to bring them to Christ.

Now my question is, are we overstepping with what the Scriptures are saying? Is this mobile app okay? I just want to be clear that I am not against this app or other faith-based apps out there, I just want your opinion on the matter. I hope we could have a healthy discussion about this and I hope that I will be enlightened in the matter.

I appreciate all your opinions in advance. Thank you, brothers and sisters in the Lord!

Re: Can we use this tool for evangelism?

I'll be honest, I didn't install the app. I've got enough on my phone without testing out things just because of an "Is this OK" question. My concern would be that trying to get people into the kingdom by a succession of small nudges can often come across as a bait-and-switch tactic that can be offputting. Jesus didn't kinda sorta nudge people, he just said "follow me". These days if we can get people to at least think about questions like "is there more to life than this?" and "why am I here?" and "what happens after I die?" we can begin to address the answers to the questions. But if all we do is get someone really good at answering questions on Bible trivia have we actually achieved anything? The devil knows the Scriptures as well as we do.

Something used as part of church outreach might be interesting if there are people within the church to follow up on questions and to welcome people who decide to come to church afterwards and the like. If it's just something thrown out there it would seem more like the big rallies where thousands of people attend, some go forward at the altar call and are told they are now Christians, then they are just left to work it all out for themselves because the high profile speaker is headed the next big rally in the next city. No doubt he'll chalk up the 500 people who came forward as success stories even if only 5 of them walked the walk a month later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonajero View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't install the app. I've got enough on my phone without testing out things just because of an "Is this OK" question. My concern would be that trying to get people into the kingdom by a succession of small nudges can often come across as a bait-and-switch tactic that can be offputting. Jesus didn't kinda sorta nudge people, he just said "follow me". These days if we can get people to at least think about questions like "is there more to life than this?" and "why am I here?" and "what happens after I die?" we can begin to address the answers to the questions. But if all we do is get someone really good at answering questions on Bible trivia have we actually achieved anything? The devil knows the Scriptures as well as we do.

Something used as part of church outreach might be interesting if there are people within the church to follow up on questions and to welcome people who decide to come to church afterwards and the like. If it's just something thrown out there it would seem more like the big rallies where thousands of people attend, some go forward at the altar call and are told they are now Christians, then they are just left to work it all out for themselves because the high profile speaker is headed the next big rally in the next city. No doubt he'll chalk up the 500 people who came forward as success stories even if only 5 of them walked the walk a month later.
    Thank you for your insightful opinion, Sanajero. I have talked with our pastor at the church where I was attending and he said that it's ok to use this app as long as we do follow up and nurturing to those who have been evangelized. Otherwise, we can forget it. I'm going to introduce it to our Sunday School and work out a plan with our pastors and volunteers to evangelize to the youth using this app. Please pray for the task that we plan to do. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by miriam40012 View Post
    Thank you for your insightful opinion, Sanajero. I have talked with our pastor at the church where I was attending and he said that it's ok to use this app as long as we do follow up and nurturing to those who have been evangelized. Otherwise, we can forget it. I'm going to introduce it to our Sunday School and work out a plan with our pastors and volunteers to evangelize to the youth using this app. Please pray for the task that we plan to do. Thank you!
    The followup is the crucial thing. It helps nobody to throw stuff out there with a vision that goes no further than asking someone to click the link to say they recited the sinner's prayer so you can count them and boast about the number of people saved, then ignore the ones who clicked the link.

It sounds like your church is planning on doing that. Obviously there are circumstances that often trigger the whole "is there more than this?" line of questioning that we wouldn't wish on people but aside from that anything that gets people thinking is the sort of thing God can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonajero View Post
    The followup is the crucial thing. It helps nobody to throw stuff out there with a vision that goes no further than asking someone to click the link to say they recited the sinner's prayer so you can count them and boast about the number of people saved, then ignore the ones who clicked the link.

It sounds like your church is planning on doing that. Obviously there are circumstances that often trigger the whole "is there more than this?" line of questioning that we wouldn't wish on people but aside from that anything that gets people thinking is the sort of thing God can use.
    Following up is paramount... but I've seen too many people excuse evangelizing in the first place for fear of what "might" happen. We can't have that mindset. Simply decide to love on people in the name of Christ , share the Gospel with them , and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting and convincing. IF someone makes a profession of faith, then follow up. But the results are between them and God. I've seen people saved on outreach that you can't keep from coming to church... then others who walked the aisle , prayed and made of profession of faith, and had the type of "conversion" we would think was ideal, only to never see them again. They won't return calls or even attempt to speak.. I guess what I'm saying is you can't go wrong sharing Christ and leaving the results up to Him.

I look at Billy Graham's Crusade's for instance. There are many out there who think he was borderline heretical for doing things the way he did. But at the end of his lifetime, he probably got to point more people to the kingdom of God than anyone else in history. I think where we get into trouble is when we try to manage the Holy Spirit.

For the record, I absolutely do believe in follow up and discipleship.

Thread Information