Thread: Greetings from a newbie

Greetings from a newbie

I've been looking into several Christian message boards, and may eventually join more than 1. For now though, I think I like the activity and friendliness of this board.

As for me, I spent most of my life not that interested in the Bible. My family is all Christian, but, somewhat surprisingly, belong to a diverse range of denominations. As a youth, I viewed their lively discussions (arguments) as a source of doubt as to the Bible's authenticity as anything more than just another big book. It seemed that the word of God should produce unanimous agreement rather than impassioned disagreement.

I did pick it up a few times out of curiosity, but found it too hard to read and put it back quickly. I had a decent working knowledge of the basic outline of the Bible, due to being surrounded by believers, which served me well as I entered college and found myself in the myriad conversations that one finds themselves in living on campus. Strangely enough, I was thought to have some expertise among my classmates, which is quite distressing on reflection as I had never really read any of it for myself.

For the sake of keeping my intro at digestible length, Ill fast forward to about 6 years ago. I stumbled upon a book titled Blacklisted by History, which totally fascinated me and grew my interest in history and how we just believe the version that we are taught without any research into the actual facts. The more I dug into history the more I began to believe that for every thread of truth there seemed to be nine threads of propaganda and misdirection.

There seemed to be a common thread that ran throughout the entire tapestry, and that thread, quite surprisingly to me, demanded that I begin to study the Bible. So now, for the past couple of years, I have become a student of the Bible and I am absolutely convinced that it is the foundation of truth. I wish I had known earlier in life, but I think that my path lends a unique perspective that I may not have developed otherwise. I probably won't be a frequent poster as I am mostly here to read topics and weigh the varying views against the scripture. In a way, this is how I plan to try to catch up for lost time in that I can find and hash out many topics and many views in a more condensed timeframe.

Thanks for having me!

Re: Greetings from a newbie

Good to meet you !!! Welcome to the board.

Blog Entries

Welcome to BibleForums. Glad you’re reading the Bible. Hope you benefit from being here. We’re like your family - diverse!

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Hello, Shimatoree66. That is a nice introduction you wrote. I hope you enjoy the BibleForums.
    The Outlaw Bible Student Studies on the Fringe of Christianity

A Different Kind of Christian Website

Welcome! I get what you mean about possibly not posting much... there is certain wisdom to be learned by all in not having an answer for EVERYTHING...

Shalom
    Jesus said, "Out of the hardness of your hearts Moses gave a writ of divorce; but from the beginning it was not so." How many more things do you suppose are, "From the beginning, NOT so?"

Hi Shimatoree66, I am just now catching up enough to welcome new members. Welcome to the forum.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Welcome aboard Shimatoree66.

i like your testamony Shim.

about how i feel about a lot of things, especially history/politics. dig into the forum a bit and report back
    Welcome to The Cutting Edge...
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]." [Daniel 12:10b]

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Thread Information