Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A PP brief descriptions of each chapter of Revelation Part 1

Blog Entries

A PP brief descriptions of each chapter of Revelation Part 1

This was written by Stefano Ferrero a Partial Preterist like myself.

Although this isn't totally identical in each detail to what I believe I see it as a good breakdown of each chapter of the book of Revelation as I see it. I thought that I would post it so you can see where I and many other PP'S come from

Chapter 1: Jesus appears to John, to give exhortation to the seven churches. The “coming of the Son of Man” is not referring to the Second Coming, but to the “judgment coming” of 70 AD, which John says was targeted against “the tribes of the Land” (the tribes of Israel).

Chapter 2-3: Jesus has John write seven letters to seven churches in Asia (near the island of Patmos where John was). The seven letters draw upon imagery from seven subsequent eras of Biblical history. The theme of each subsequent letter also alludes to a section of the Revelation itself.

Chapter 4: John is taken, in vision, to heaven. He sees the throne of God, the four “living creatures” (the cherubim/seraphim), and the 24 elders (who symbolically represent the whole Church).

Chapter 5: John sees God holding the scroll of the New Covenant. It is sealed with seven seals, which was recognized in first-century Judea as being the “will” of a deceased person. This scroll of the New Covenant is the will of Jesus Christ himself, who ascends to heaven and takes the scroll to open it. (30 AD)

Chapter 6: John sees the first six seals of the scroll broken open. Each seal draws a parallel to the prophecies of Christ in the Olivet Discourse, and to the Covenant curses of Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28. These seals herald the overarching series of events that take place in the first-century, culminating in the war of Rome upon Judea. (30-70 AD)

Chapter 7: John sees the whole Church (the great multitude), along with the faithful remnant of Israel, symbolically represented as a group of 144,000. The twelve tribes of Israel are named, but rearranged for symbolic purposes. Judah is placed at the first of the list, because Jesus is the “Lion of Judah”. Dan is removed from the list because Genesis 49 calls him a “serpent”, who is the enemy of the Church in the Revelation. Dan is replaced by Manasseh, similar to how Judas was replaced by Matthias. They are sealed with the seal of God, to show that they are protected from the destruction during the Jewish-Roman War. (67-70 AD)

https://bibleforums.org/showthread.p...elation-Part-2

Re: A PP brief descriptions of each chapter of Revelation Part 1

The title made me chuckle. I had to look inside to see what this "PP" thing was.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    The title made me chuckle. I had to look inside to see what this "PP" thing was.
    The first thing than ran across my mind was a throwback to an old board admin, Project Peter.

Blog Entries

That's why I clicked on it!
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Could one of the mods please fix the titles for me?

Part 4 to part 3
    And part 4A to part 4

Although I appreciate the focus on the Early Church, presented by PPs, I think the book of Revelation is actually focused on Christ's 2nd Coming at the end of the age. To present the 70 AD event as an apocalyptic event is far-fetched, for me. However, I do believe there has not been enough interest in the historical context of the book of Revelation. It certainly contained visions that are rooted in the historical issues of that time, including the 70 AD event and the other events Jesus spoke of in his Olivet Discourse, including the dispersion of the Jewish People. I don't believe we can properly understand the book of Revelation if it is viewed as strictly an apocalyptic prediction, with no roots in the then-current period of time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Although I appreciate the focus on the Early Church, presented by PPs, I think the book of Revelation is actually focused on Christ's 2nd Coming at the end of the age. To present the 70 AD event as an apocalyptic event is far-fetched, for me. However, I do believe there has not been enough interest in the historical context of the book of Revelation. It certainly contained visions that are rooted in the historical issues of that time, including the 70 AD event and the other events Jesus spoke of in his Olivet Discourse, including the dispersion of the Jewish People. I don't believe we can properly understand the book of Revelation if it is viewed as strictly an apocalyptic prediction, with no roots in the then-current period of time.
    I hope you read it through to the end then

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    I hope you read it through to the end then
    I do find the material interesting, even though there are key disagreements I have with the position. My primary agreement is on the focus of the Olivet Discourse on the 70 AD judgment.

I whole-heartedly agree with this, even though there is a side reference to the 2nd Coming as well. I believe Jesus' Disciples were confused about this. Jesus had said the Kingdom was "near," and if Israel was to be judged in that generation, how could the eschatological event take place any time soon?

So Jesus separated the two events, the 2nd Coming and the 70 AD judgment. At the same time he compared them! Very important, I think.

Anyway, I was also interested in how the PP position views the opening of the 7 seals in the book of Revelation. There does seem to be common material expressed between the Olivet Discourse and the 7 seals. I find it interesting, even though I still find the book of Revelation tough to handle. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I do find the material interesting, even though there are key disagreements I have with the position. My primary agreement is on the focus of the Olivet Discourse on the 70 AD judgment.

I whole-heartedly agree with this, even though there is a side reference to the 2nd Coming as well. I believe Jesus' Disciples were confused about this. Jesus had said the Kingdom was "near," and if Israel was to be judged in that generation, how could the eschatological event take place any time soon?

So Jesus separated the two events, the 2nd Coming and the 70 AD judgment. At the same time he compared them! Very important, I think.

Anyway, I was also interested in how the PP position views the opening of the 7 seals in the book of Revelation. There does seem to be common material expressed between the Olivet Discourse and the 7 seals. I find it interesting, even though I still find the book of Revelation tough to handle. Thanks.
    Yes put Matthew 24 side by side with revelation 6 and see have much alike they are

Yes put Matthew 24 side by side with revelation 6 and see have much alike they are
    John's gospel, unlike the other gospels, doesn't contain an Olivet Discourse.

John rather, dedicated an entire full book to present his Olivet Discourse Revelation.

John covered in much more details both the 1st century events, as well as the future climax of mortal history and the parousia of the eternal state.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    John's gospel, unlike the other gospels, doesn't contain an Olivet Discourse.

John rather, dedicated an entire full book to present his Olivet Discourse Revelation.

John covered in much more details both the 1st century events, as well as the future climax of mortal history and the parousia of the eternal state.
    Well said Dave revelation is johns olivit discourse

Well said Dave revelation is johns olivit discourse
    That's an interesting viewpoint, and I've heard it before. However, it may be that the book of Revelation was written *after* the 70 AD event, whereas the O.D. was written *before* the 70 AD event. That would've made an important difference in the outlook in Revelation, I should think?

But it really depends on *when* you think Revelation was written.

Blog Entries

That's an interesting viewpoint, and I've heard it before. However, it may be that the book of Revelation was written *after* the 70 AD event, whereas the O.D. was written *before* the 70 AD event. That would've made an important difference in the outlook in Revelation, I should think?

But it really depends on *when* you think Revelation was written.
    It would make all the difference the reason (which is the OP)for revelation proves it was written before 70AD

I think it was written about 64 AD

It would make all the difference the reason (which is the OP)for revelation proves it was written before 70AD

I think it was written about 64 AD
    I held that view as possible for awhile, but could not hold it up against the larger consensus that Revelation was written *after* 70 AD. Your view fit so well that I adopted it. I just feel more comfortable taking the more conventional view. But I'm open.

Blog Entries

I held that view as possible for awhile, but could not hold it up against the larger consensus that Revelation was written *after* 70 AD. Your view fit so well that I adopted it. I just feel more comfortable taking the more conventional view. But I'm open.
    The history in the first century fits so well with the earlier date

Thread Information