Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blessed Hope

The Blessed Hope

Hi all
    Whats your take on the Blessed hope ?

Titus 2
    11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,

13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

The appearing of the glory of our great God means what for our hope.?
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Re: The Blessed Hope

What Jesus said in Jn 13 and 14 lays a foundation to the Blessed hope.

Just as Jesus was caught up to the Father, so will those who believe in him at his second coming.

John
    Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus knowing that His hour had come that He would depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.

33 Little children, I am with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.’

36 Simon Peter *said to Him, “Lord, where are You going?” Jesus answered, “Where I go, you cannot follow Me now; but you will follow later.”

We are going to follow Jesus to the Father.

John 14
    “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going.” 5 Thomas *said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” 6 Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Jesus go to the Fathers house to prepare a place for us ...and he will come again that we may be with the Father in the same glorious way also. A possession purified to dwell in his own house.

That's the ultimate Blessed hope

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Hi all

Titus 2
    11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,

13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

It reminds me of GE Ladd's book, the Blessed Hope. Ladd pointed out the inconsistency, at the time, of Pretribbers who claimed that the "appearance" of Christ was to be associated with the 2nd Coming at the end of the age. If we are to wait for that "appearing," then we are *not* waiting for a preliminary secret coming.

Hi all
    It means our hope doesn't need to be hoped for anymore.

For who hopes for what he sees? Rom.8:24

It means our faith has come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    It reminds me of GE Ladd's book, the Blessed Hope. Ladd pointed out the inconsistency, at the time, of Pretribbers who claimed that the "appearance" of Christ was to be associated with the 2nd Coming at the end of the age. If we are to wait for that "appearing," then we are *not* waiting for a preliminary secret coming.
    Must read that one day.
    Are we to wait for a further appearing of the Fathers glory after the appearing of Jesus in glory at the second coming?
    or does his glory appear with Jesus when he comes?

The text seems to favor the latter.

Matthew 16:27
    For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

Mark 8:38
    For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.

lk 9
    For whoever is ashamed
    of Me and My words, the Son of
    Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in
    His glory, and the glory of the Father and ofthe holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    It means our hope doesn't need to be hoped for anymore.

For who hopes for what he sees? Rom.8:24

It means our faith has come to fruition.
    Are you so complete in Christ that you no longer need hope?

1 Cor. 13:12,13 "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." Once we are with Christ, we will no longer need faith and hope. Only love will endure.

Are you already raised to immortality where your faith and hope are not needed. Nobody has received their reward yet (Heb.11). God has promised it, but we still must hope for its fulfillment.

Here is the rest of your Romans 8:24,25 "For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."

Care for another run at this?
    Last edited by Deade; Aug 10th 2018 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Cosmetics
    John 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post

1 Cor. 13:12,13 "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." Once we are with Christ, we will no longer need faith and hope. Only love will endure.

Are you already raised to immortality where your faith and hope are not needed. Nobody has received their reward yet (Heb.11). God has promised it, but we still must hope for its fulfillment.

Here is the rest of your Romans 8:24,25 "For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."

I think Journeyman was pointing out that the Glory of the Father is indeed our Blessed hope at the Lords second coming.

Blog Entries

Hi all

Titus 2

I agree with Post #2 Jeff thanks for the reminder

No dear friend. We are saved by our hope in God.

You're right, but Jesus is also with us right now in spirit.

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Jn.14:18

I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. Mt.28:20

Deade, I believe this is why there is disagreement about what's going to happen "when Jesus returns."

Again, you're right, but the bible also says,

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above Col.3:1

Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ Eph.2:5

But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead. Mt.8:22

I believe this is why there is confusion about "when the dead are raised."

I truly believe any disagreement believers have about end time, or future events, is solved by the parable of "the sower and the seed." Jesus said,

Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables? Mk.4:13

Sowing now, reaping later. Earthly truth now, heavenly truth later. Current reality, future reality.

Is this what people mean by "preterism?" Happening now vs happening later? If so, this is correct.

I think Journeyman was pointing out that the Glory of the Father is indeed our Blessed hope at the Lords second coming.
    Yes my friend. I think when Jesus returns here in person, it's the end of all prophecy. It's the realization of current reality.

Is this what people mean by "preterism?" Happening now vs happening later? If so, this is correct.
    Does not preterism say that Satan is bound already?

No, Jesus Himself says Satan is bound already.

Luke11:18
    If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub. 19 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out? therefore shall they be your judges. 20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. 21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: 22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils. 23 He that is not with me is against me"

Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

Jesus wasnt talking about binding Satan from all activity, but rather, His binding Satan from being able to nearly completely deceive the gentile nations after the cross, like Satan had been allowed to do during OT times.

Since Jesus bound Satan at the cross and began dividing his spoils, billions from the gentile nations have come to faith from every tongue, tribe, and nation; unlike any time before the cross when Satan was unbound and deceived the Gentiles at nearly a 100% success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    No, Jesus Himself says Satan is bound already.

Luke11:18
    If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub. 19 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out? therefore shall they be your judges. 20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. 21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: 22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils. 23 He that is not with me is against me"

Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

Jesus wasnt talking about binding Satan from all activity, but rather, His binding Satan from being able to nearly completely deceive the gentile nations after the cross, like Satan had been allowed to do during OT times.

Since Jesus bound Satan at the cross and began dividing his spoils, billions from the gentile nations have come to faith from every tongue, tribe, and nation; unlike any time before the cross when Satan was unbound and deceived the Gentiles at nearly a 100% success rate.
    Well Satan could always only do what he was allowed. So Yes, he is bound somewhat. But differently than when he is placed in the bottomless pit during the millennial reign. Then he will have no influence on earth.

I don't know what preterism teaches. I heard about preterism from another member here (Soldier_of_Faith.)

I've read David Taylor's teaching on the binding of Satan and agree with him.

I don't know what preterism teaches. I heard about preterism from another member here (Soldier_of_Faith.)

I've read David Taylor's teaching on the binding of Satan and agree with him.
    I have and will reject all Preterism doctrines. They are Amillennial at their very core while I am Historical Premillennial all the way.

Thread Information