Thread: 3 John 10

3 John 10

3 John 1:10

KJV 10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

MKJV 10 Therefore if I come, I will remember his deeds which he does, ranting against us with evil words. And not content with these, neither does he himself receive the brothers. And he forbids those who would, and casts them out of the church.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.
    Sometimes God needs to remind us of the bad things He has brought us from and who we used to be and other times He reminds us of who He has now made us to be and where He is trying to lead us, we are to focus to much on either though because we are to walk daily with the Lord and not walk now in the past or now in the future. There are those who do not receive Christians and John is speaking of a man inside the church who is doing nothing but harm to the church. Do we ourselves receive Christians good, really think those that may have harmed us if they came to faith would we receive them, we may need work in this area ourselves but we may not go to the extreme this man would have went to. He was trying to keep people from the faith, he was trying to choose who would or not come to faith, this is never for us to but for the Lord to bring people into faith, we are to just serve Him.
    Live the Halleluyah life

Blog Entries

Re: 3 John 10

Quote Originally Posted by clarkthompson View Post

KJV 10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

MKJV 10 Therefore if I come, I will remember his deeds which he does, ranting against us with evil words. And not content with these, neither does he himself receive the brothers. And he forbids those who would, and casts them out of the church.

Sometimes God needs to remind us of the bad things He has brought us from and who we used to be and other times He reminds us of who He has now made us to be and where He is trying to lead us, we are to focus to much on either though because we are to walk daily with the Lord and not walk now in the past or now in the future. There are those who do not receive Christians and John is speaking of a man inside the church who is doing nothing but harm to the church. Do we ourselves receive Christians good, really think those that may have harmed us if they came to faith would we receive them, we may need work in this area ourselves but we may not go to the extreme this man would have went to. He was trying to keep people from the faith, he was trying to choose who would or not come to faith, this is never for us to but for the Lord to bring people into faith, we are to just serve Him.
    The key lies in understanding Jesus Christ' plans for his church, clearly stated in the scriptures. You will recall that Jesus warned the disciples and by implication, us (the church) "that they shall put you out of the synagogue/church; time will come when whoever kills you will think he's doing God service" (John 16:2). This started from the 1st-century to date.

It comes down to one judging the other and believing himself better than others.

Diotrephes wanted the preimenence. He wanted to be the head honcho. Pride of life. He wanted it to be about diotrephes. Which caused his rejection of the brethren. Just my thought. I like your post thank you. I perceive many today making the same mistake.

This scenario is played hundreds of times a year in the Church of Christ. One of the first problems to enter the Church was the Nicolaitans. It is at the beginning of the Church era. The first Church mentioned in Revelation Chapter 2 "tried Apostles" (v.2) and "hated the deeds of the Nicolaitans" (v.6). Here we see the God-ordained way of government in the Church. The Assembly decides who is to be cast out, not Leaders.

From the very beginning God ordained a "CORPORATE JUDICIARY" in His economy. Concerning man it is, in Genesis 1:26-28, "... and let them have dominion .... and God said unto them, ... subdue it: and have dominion ... ." That is, the government of the earth was to be by CORPORATE decision. Later, in Israel, it the same. In many verses like Lev 20:2, 27, 24:14, 23 and Numbers 15:35 it is, "... let all the congregation stone him"! When we get to Matthew 16 concerning the Church, the "keys of the Kingdom are given to the Assembly". In Matthew 18 we see this in action as the "Church" deals with a wayward Christian. The "you" in both Chapters 16 and 18 is the Assembly and is plural. In 1st Corinthians 5, the expulsion of the incestuous brother is, "... when ye are gathered together, ... with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, ... ." And, "... do not ye judge them that are within? Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person." The casting out of a saint is FROM AMONG (a full meeting) YOURSELVES (plural)

It is abundantly clear that the judgement, expulsion and/or execution (in Israel's case) is a CORPORATE AFFAIR.

But how is it done the Churches of the Living God today? Mostly like 3rd John 10. By a single man! In modern Churches this is not different. Even if they are Biblical in that they have multiple Elders, the expulsion is done by them. What a rebellion against God's orders! And so we read that soon after the Church at Ephesus had "hated the deeds of the Nicolaitans", we learn that in the Church we have, "... them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate" (Revelation 2:15). What are Nicolaitans?

Because the Church is so permeated by the Nicolaitan system, they balk at defining it. But the meaning is easy to discern. It is an anglicized word directly from the Greek, and the Greek is a compound word made of "NICO" and "LAITY". "Nico" in the Greek means "defeater" or "conqueror", and "Laity" means "the common people". The Nicolaitans are an elite within the Church who usurp the government of the Assembly. It is a system as much to blame on ambitious and charismatic men as it is to blame on the Assembly itself. At Ephesus, the first Church, it was resisted by the Assembly and "hated". But by Pergamos things had changed dramatically. Pergamos was a Church ruled by Satan. In Revelation 2:13 it is; "I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was [B]my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth[/B]." There were a lot of good Christians in Pergamos, but, (i) Satan's seat was there, (ii) faithful saints were slain (probably because they protested), and (iii) Satan "dwelt" there.

And so it was in about 96 AD when John wrote 3rd John. ONE MAN was expelling Christians with NO DUE PROCESS! ONE MAN - an unworthy speck, had shaken his fist at the Living God. He had thrown out the authority of the Assembly, and against Christ's commands, had taken all government upon himself. And the RESULT??? In John 17:21-23 the Lord Jesus prays to the Father;

21 "That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
    22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
    23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."

The UNITY of Christians makes or breaks the gospel!!! If we are ONE - IN UNITY - then the world will know that Jesus has come and that He is the Number One before God. If we "cast out the brethren" as Diotrephes did, we not only overthrow God's government, we not only refuse the saint DUE PROCESS, we not only punish illegally, BUT WE DESTROY THE GOSPEL!

Thread Information