Thread: NO FREEDOM, NO CHRISTIANITY

NO FREEDOM, NO CHRISTIANITY

NO FREEDOM WITHOUT LAW

NO CHRISTIANITY WITHOUT CONFESSION OF SIN

I've noticed that a lot of the popular Christian music and sermons in our modern era speak of being free in Christ, having our chains broken, coming to God as we are and so on. I'm certainly not against any of those statements themselves, but there is something that worries me greatly.

First, there is no freedom without law. The purpose of the law of God is plainly stated for us in Romans 3:19-20 ...we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. By the law is the knowledge of sin! Until we know we are a sinner and what the consequences of our sins are we will never have the right kind of faith in Jesus to save us.

There is no true freedom without law! That continues to remain true after we are saved. Jesus said in John 8:31-32 ...If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Jesus did not mean that with further effort they could be saved. He meant that learning of His Word and His ways could make them truly free from the power of sin. I feel this is where modern Christianity is dropping the ball so to speak. You can see it in the way Christians live, what they say, the way they dress, what they allow in their life and what goes on in "christian" church meetings. There doesn't seem to be much focus on what's declared in the Word of God about what pleases God or about sin. However, there is a lot spoken about being free in Christ. That worries me and it ought to worry anyone who believes the Bible is true.

Paul often referred to himself as the bond servant or slave of Jesus Christ. I'm afraid the freedom in Christ many are looking for is freedom to do as they choose. Actually the freedom Christ offers is freedom from the penalty and power of sin so we might serve Him.

Second, there is no true Christianity without confession of sin! The apostle John wrote in 1 John 1:5-10 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

None of us are without sin. There's no way we can make it through a day without sinning, even if it's just in thought. I'll remind you Jesus said in Matt 5:28 ...I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. David once begged God to make Him see his sin. I wonder if most Christians even care. We sin daily, but do we agree with God about it, do we confess it to Him? If not, then how can we say we have fellowship with Him. If we don't have fellowship with Him then we're not walking with Him and not following Him. There is no Christianity without confession of sin!

Because these two important things are true I find myself wondering if the majority of what we see coming from Christianity has anything to do with the real Christ at all. God help us, we need Him more than ever to see the truth about what's going on around us.

Re: NO FREEDOM, NO CHRISTIANITY

I agree with what you see happening but I fear it is a deeper issue. I am not looking for a debate, but I fear it started with what the modern church teaches about sin and as you stated we can’t go a day without sinning. This very belief leads to the concept we hear in today’s music and churches. I encourage you to look at 1 John 1 again, and actually the rest of the book. Starting with chapter 1, we must look at who John is speaking to. In verses 1-4, John is saying he is writing to those who do not have fellowship with him, those with him, or with the Father and the Son. He is telling his audience what they must do in order to have fellowship with the Father and the Son. Second, as you mentioned there can’t be true Christianity without confession. I agree. This also defines his audience. If they were Christians they would have already confessed, claiming they have sinned. His audience apparently had not confessed and were still walking in darkness, which is why they didn’t have fellowship. In chapter 2 he starts with saying he is teaching these things so that they may not sin. If John is teaching that they may not sin, then it must be possible to not sin, otherwise he is giving them false hope. Next he goes back to talking about knowing God, or having fellowship with God. He says that if they claim to know God but do not keep His commands (i.e. they continue to sin) then they are liars and the truth is not in them. Who then is the liar, the one claims he has no sin or is it the one who claims to know God but doesn’t keep His commandments. In context they are the same because the first is claiming fellowship yet is walking in darkness (i.e. not keeping His commandments). However, if they keep His commandments then they know Him, they are walking in the Light, have fellowship with Him, and His love is perfected in them. He follows this thought up with saying if they abide in Him then they should walk in the same manner as Christ walked. Christ walked in complete obedience to the Father. John says this is possible. Until the Christian world believes we can walk in the same manner, the only thing you will see is mediocre Christianity, one that is not walking in the Light as He is in the Light. Christianity is addicted to foregiveness, rather than a life in line with Christ. What we don’t hear is the power of God working in their lives. So many songs claim just come as you are, but never talk about the change that must happen in their lives. Read 2 Corinthians 6:14-18. Light and darkness cannot coexist. A group of believers who only focus on foregiveness want to join light with darkness. No debate intended, just a view point that will change the landscape of Christianity today. If you want to discuss it out side of this article feel free to reply and maybe a different forum topic can be started. God bless and I am glad you are recognizing the issues of today.

Cool Re: NO FREEDOM, NO CHRISTIANITY

If we are walking with Christ, we will learn about holiness.

1 Pet.1:16 "Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Is this important enough to list it as a must?

Heb. 12:14 "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:"

What do we do to practice this so called holiness?

Rom. 7:12 "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good."

Even though we are saved by grace, keeping the laws of God seems to define our holiness. All of them.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Blog Entries

Re: NO FREEDOM, NO CHRISTIANITY

What's one to find when clicking your link. Need to add some sort of description.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Thread Information