Thread: The Big Picture

Blog Entries

The Big Picture

I have a first cousin who is in her late 30's. She is a beautiful girl with two beautiful children. She was saved as a child, but ran into the wrong crowd and a teen and young adult and strayed from church and God.

Her marriage is suffering. What has caused a rift between she and her husband, I don't know and no one has discussed that root.

As the disruption of their union continued, she turned to alcohol. For years it has been so bad that her husband has threatened to leave her [there is no evidence that he is saved], her parents, my aunt and uncle have threatened to take the children. She's been in rehab after rehab to no avail.

The person who has taken this the hardest was my father. He loved his nieces and nephews on both sides like his own children. The proof of that is that they ALL came to his funeral two months ago and grieved like his own.

I've been praying for her, pleading for her. I once asked, "whatever it takes". I just didn't know it would take the death of my father who was in perfect health.

The only reason that my cousin was able to come to the funeral from out of state was that she had been sober for a few months and we were so grateful to God for that.

As my father's pastor was too ill to preach his funeral, MY pastor preached my father's funeral. I've played the piano at so many funerals with him that I can preach his words myself. He's really into preaching the gospel at funerals. And his message is always verbatim, the same. Sometimes that gets on my nerves, and I repent of that today. As I sat there, looking at the almost 250 who came to the funeral, I saw several who were not saved. I have been praying since that his message would reach them.

She sat by me after the funeral when we ate dinner at the church and she said to me, "I enjoyed that sermon so much". I was glad to hear that. My pastor sat with us, too, not knowing her condition and problem. While they were there for a couple of days, she asked her brother to drive around where my grandmother used to live. Ironically, it passed by my church. She made a point of telling me that she drove by my church - I don't know why.

To sum this up - I haven't seen her in two months, but I hear from my aunt today that she started attended a church the very weekend that they all got back and has not missed a Sunday yet. All I can say is praise God.

When I prayed, "whatever it takes, I had no idea that it would take the death of my beloved father who could have lived another healthy and wonderful 15 years.

And you know what. I'm not mad at that. I'm weepy eyed. I've been that way all day. Playing the piano, singing in the choir for the special music. And now.

The Big Picture. Sometimes it's painted with harsh colors. But it's beautiful nonetheless.
    ".....it's your nickel"

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Re: The Big Picture

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I have a first cousin who is in her late 30's. She is a beautiful girl with two beautiful children. She was saved as a child, but ran into the wrong crowd and a teen and young adult and strayed from church and God.

Her marriage is suffering. What has caused a rift between she and her husband, I don't know and no one has discussed that root.

As the disruption of their union continued, she turned to alcohol. For years it has been so bad that her husband has threatened to leave her [there is no evidence that he is saved], her parents, my aunt and uncle have threatened to take the children. She's been in rehab after rehab to no avail.

The person who has taken this the hardest was my father. He loved his nieces and nephews on both sides like his own children. The proof of that is that they ALL came to his funeral two months ago and grieved like his own.

I've been praying for her, pleading for her. I once asked, "whatever it takes". I just didn't know it would take the death of my father who was in perfect health.

The only reason that my cousin was able to come to the funeral from out of state was that she had been sober for a few months and we were so grateful to God for that.

As my father's pastor was too ill to preach his funeral, MY pastor preached my father's funeral. I've played the piano at so many funerals with him that I can preach it myself. He's really into preaching the gospel at funerals. As I sat there, looking at the almost 250 who came to the funeral, I saw several who were not saved. I have been praying since that his message would reach them.

She sat by me after the funeral when we ate dinner at the church and she said to me, "I enjoyed that sermon so much". I was glad to hear that. My pastor sat with us, too, not knowing her condition and problem. While they were there for a couple of days, she asked her brother to drive around where my grandmother used to live. Ironically, it passed by my church. She made a point of telling me that she drove by my church - I don't know why.

To sum this up - I haven't seen her in two months, but I hear from my aunt today that she started attended a church the very weekend that they all got back and has not missed a Sunday yet. All I can say is praise God.

When I prayed, "whatever it takes, I had no idea that it would take the death of my beloved father who could have lived another healthy and wonderful 15 years.

And you know what. I'm not mad at that. I'm weepy eyed. I've been that way all day. Playing the piano, singing in the choir for the special music. And now.

The Big Picture. Sometimes it's painted with harsh colors. But it's beautiful nonetheless.
    Excellent. We are so often captive to our view of time and never thing of God's eternal perspective.

In art, in order to emphasize where the light is focused, you have to show great darkness touching it.

You, my sister, are thinking absolutely precisely as Godmwould have you think.

Blog Entries

Awesome, Jayne. Thanks for sharing. May God continue to glorify himself through your Father’s death so that it is always looked back at with some rejoicing.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that Jayne.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Jayne, your final sentence speaks so loudly of just how BIG God really is. Praise God! I've heard it asked, "what is the meaning of death..." and your testimony is a glorifying answer.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post

I prayed often for a lot of my family. When I became a missionary I sent newsletters to many of them as if they were believers. I just continued with my work, and tried to set a proper example. I found my family coming to God one by one after that. Our example is our best witness.

We do not know why God does things the way He does, but we just have to trust. Like that song says "Farther along we'll know all about it, farther along we'll understand why."
    Last edited by Deade; Aug 23rd 2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added text
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

Thread Information