Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alcohol addiction not being lifted after numerous pleas. start to doubt.

Re: alcohol addiction not being lifted after numerous pleas. start to doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by shak4969 View Post
    Hello,

I have been agnostic for ages. converted to Christianity a while back, stayed sober and and after a very bad relapse, lost faith in Jesus.
    Came back to Jesus, repented, confessed sins and prayed, oh did I pray. Felt as if the obsession for booze was lifted, then it came back with a vengeance, planning to drink next week. and with me to drink is to die.
    with this obsession driving me nuts, I started to doubt the resurrection story.
    I wish I could just have the certainty that Jesus died and raised from the dead. Maybe this is what I am really after. then I can pray knowing that someone is actually listening and the Jesus is actually abiding in me.
    I want that so bad.
    I am sorry for the battle you are fighting. One thing is for certain; alcoholism is real and is one of the hardest addictions to overcome. And for some, they never overcome.

This hits very close to home with me also, as I have a sister that has battled this addiction for most of her life. My sister has had a strong confession of faith from the time she was around 25 and is now 65. Since she gave her life to Christ, her life, her mind, and conversation has always been on Christ continually. But in light of all of this, she is a victim of the addition of alcoholism. She acknowledges she has a problem and has for some time. It has pretty much wrecked her whole life; including marriage, career, wealth, health, relationship with children, friends and family. But, she is one of the fortunate ones and has been able to keep it under control over the last 15 years of her life. But the addiction still afflicts her. She has failed on occasion.

I am by no means have never condoned her actions, neither have I ever judged her. But, what stands out most in my mind is; her relationship with Christ throughout her whole Christian life. She never blamed God for her circumstance, yet she never fails to repent to God when she fails. In fact, we have a lot of good examples of great men of God who have sinned greatly, yet never lost sight of their focus on God. The list is too many to name in this response, but a few that most can relate to are; (1) Noah got drunk after God saved him, (2) King David caused a man to die in order to have his wife Bathsheba, (3) Peter denied Jesus, (4) Thomas doubted Jesus being raised from the dead. All of these great men sinned against God. But through God, they worked out their own salvation. They all loved God more than their own sinful lives.

If I could encourage one thing; it would be to never give up on God. It is God who has opened your eyes to allow you to see that you have a problem. Some have a tendency to blame God for not taking away the addiction. Rather, they should be giving thanks to him for allowing themselves to see their true condition.

Yes drunkenness is a sin, but God is stronger than the sin and the addiction. When we become Christians, we are not born again to perfectionism against all the sins and temptations known to man. But we are born again with the tool that will sustain us. Through the Holy Ghost, we are blessed with the gift of grace through faith. And faith is the basic building block that all Christians start out with. With faith, God helps us to build, and to overcome, and to keep in subjection our weaknesses of the flesh. This is what the bible teaches us in 2 Peter 1:5-8; "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Notice it says to "add to your faith". Starts off by saying to add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance.......

Temperance is the part that applies to addiction. And again, through the grace of God, works to our perfection. But temperance is added to knowledge. Therefore in order to get there, God will add to your faith knowledge to overcome temperance; that is, if you trust and rely on him through faith. And when we sin, we know what to do also. To stay in God’s grace, we seek God’s forgiveness when we sin. Then we seek him another day; and the next day; and the next day…. God’s grace is sufficient for our sins.

Question Re: alcohol addiction not being lifted after numerous pleas. start to doubt.

Following all suggestions on here. I had a very bad relapse again and almost gave up on it all, but somehow I had this thought that it was the devil not God who allows the relapses. so back at confession, repentence....
    How are you doing today?

Jude
    If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

No. away from drinking people and drinking holes.
    Difficult when the wife is really working hard on not giving into the temptation, but the husband drinks like a fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    How are you doing today?

Jude
    Don't allow yourself to get into condemnation. With some it takes a while to stop, but as you spend more time in the Word of God, you will find the desire becomes less and less. We are all tempted in things from time to time and giving into the temptation or messing up, does not mean that you are not born again. It just simply means that you have messed up and we praise God for 1 John 1:9. As you depend more and more on God to take you through this, you will succeed. Each time you are tempted, begin to pray and call on God for help. He is there to help us in our weaknesses.

So don't be discouraged. Just like a dieter, one messup does not destroy your life. You just get up and go for it again. The old saying - is not how many times you fall that counts, it is how many times you get up.

Micah 7:8 has rescued me many times - rejoice not oh mine enemy, for when I fall, I SHALL ARISE!! You keep on going.

Thread Information