Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alcohol addiction not being lifted after numerous pleas. start to doubt.

Re: alcohol addiction not being lifted after numerous pleas. start to doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by shak4969 View Post
    Hello,

I have been agnostic for ages. converted to Christianity a while back, stayed sober and and after a very bad relapse, lost faith in Jesus.
    Came back to Jesus, repented, confessed sins and prayed, oh did I pray. Felt as if the obsession for booze was lifted, then it came back with a vengeance, planning to drink next week. and with me to drink is to die.
    with this obsession driving me nuts, I started to doubt the resurrection story.
    I wish I could just have the certainty that Jesus died and raised from the dead. Maybe this is what I am really after. then I can pray knowing that someone is actually listening and the Jesus is actually abiding in me.
    I want that so bad.
    I am sorry for the battle you are fighting. One thing is for certain; alcoholism is real and is one of the hardest addictions to overcome. And for some, they never overcome.

This hits very close to home with me also, as I have a sister that has battled this addiction for most of her life. My sister has had a strong confession of faith from the time she was around 25 and is now 65. Since she gave her life to Christ, her life, her mind, and conversation has always been on Christ continually. But in light of all of this, she is a victim of the addition of alcoholism. She acknowledges she has a problem and has for some time. It has pretty much wrecked her whole life; including marriage, career, wealth, health, relationship with children, friends and family. But, she is one of the fortunate ones and has been able to keep it under control over the last 15 years of her life. But the addiction still afflicts her. She has failed on occasion.

I am by no means have never condoned her actions, neither have I ever judged her. But, what stands out most in my mind is; her relationship with Christ throughout her whole Christian life. She never blamed God for her circumstance, yet she never fails to repent to God when she fails. In fact, we have a lot of good examples of great men of God who have sinned greatly, yet never lost sight of their focus on God. The list is too many to name in this response, but a few that most can relate to are; (1) Noah got drunk after God saved him, (2) King David caused a man to die in order to have his wife Bathsheba, (3) Peter denied Jesus, (4) Thomas doubted Jesus being raised from the dead. All of these great men sinned against God. But through God, they worked out their own salvation. They all loved God more than their own sinful lives.

If I could encourage one thing; it would be to never give up on God. It is God who has opened your eyes to allow you to see that you have a problem. Some have a tendency to blame God for not taking away the addiction. Rather, they should be giving thanks to him for allowing themselves to see their true condition.

Yes drunkenness is a sin, but God is stronger than the sin and the addiction. When we become Christians, we are not born again to perfectionism against all the sins and temptations known to man. But we are born again with the tool that will sustain us. Through the Holy Ghost, we are blessed with the gift of grace through faith. And faith is the basic building block that all Christians start out with. With faith, God helps us to build, and to overcome, and to keep in subjection our weaknesses of the flesh. This is what the bible teaches us in 2 Peter 1:5-8; "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Notice it says to "add to your faith". Starts off by saying to add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance.......

Temperance is the part that applies to addiction. And again, through the grace of God, works to our perfection. But temperance is added to knowledge. Therefore in order to get there, God will add to your faith knowledge to overcome temperance; that is, if you trust and rely on him through faith. And when we sin, we know what to do also. To stay in God’s grace, we seek God’s forgiveness when we sin. Then we seek him another day; and the next day; and the next day…. God’s grace is sufficient for our sins.

Hi, everybody. As you are discussing addiction issues I want to share my story. It's not about me, but it's about a person who I love. Now she is struggling with addiction and all our family trying to help her. She went through a long way to understand and strengthen faith in God. I'm grateful for such good people who helped her. She attended one of Christian Rehabs near Chicago https://addictionresource.com/drug-rehab/christian/. She doesn't feel good now, she is still addicted but I see hopeful changes...And I believe that one day the only thing that she needed will be faith.

It's been awhile since the original poster has posted anything but thought I'd add my two cents on something.

I grew up in a family of skeptics and have always had this tendency myself; call me doubting Thomas I guess. I grew up in the Church but never knew the Lord, only about Him. Long story short, He revealed Himself to me and this was when I had a born again experience. It wasn't so much a conversion in an intellectual sense but a spiritual experience.

But even after this, I still struggled with doubt and addiction. Something that has really helped me a lot is researching the historical record for facts that corroborate the Biblical record, Biblical archeology and the like. More and more is being discovered all the time. It's very exciting and has solidified my faith more than I ever thought possible.

shak4969, I pray all is well.

I have not posted in over a year since I have started this thread. I know.
    I have gone through the wringer again, jumping from one religion to another in hope of finding God
    to save me from this addiction. I have been sober over a month now and again REaccepted Christ as savior.
    Today was a tough day and had a suicidal and demoralizing thought, so I came here and found this old Post of mine.
    Read every reply on all three pages of this thread, thank you guys again, reading these replies gave the strength to continue with my day and
    gave me hope the God has not forsaken me.

I have not posted in over a year since I have started this thread. I know.
    I have gone through the wringer again, jumping from one religion to another in hope of finding God
    to save me from this addiction. I have been sober over a month now and again REaccepted Christ as savior.
    Today was a tough day and had a suicidal and demoralizing thought, so I came here and found this old Post of mine.
    Read every reply on all three pages of this thread, thank you guys again, reading these replies gave the strength to continue with my day and
    gave me hope the God has not forsaken me.
    I know you are fighting a great battle with this addiction. But I want to point your mind to focus all your energy and attention on your relationship with Christ. Give him your whole heart, as this is truly what the Lord wants from us. I want to stress again; "relationship". We can see this demonstration time and time again in every example of our role models in the bible; of those who were the apple of Gods eye. And by no means were they perfect men. In fact, they are about the worst of the worst. But their imperfections did not change their relationships with God. Which is not to say that God did not shake their worlds apart to put them back on the straight and narrow. God is able and will do this for his children.

This is why we have the process of sanctification. As we continually fail and find ourselves fallen short of the glory of God. He stirs up within each of us a broken heart and a contrite spirit, drawing us once again to the throne of mercy. There we confess our sins, we repent (truly repent by turning away) and ask God to forgive us our trespasses. Yet tomorrow, we will fall short again and the cycle starts all over again, until we die.

But in all these processes, we must keep our focus on God, and not our failures. Just like Peter, do not take your eyes off Jesus when you're waliking on water in the mist of the storm. To stay on top of the water, you must keep your sight directly on Jesus or you will sink.

But we are going to fail, even when we are in the fullness of the spirit. Evil is always present. Every time we intend to do good, we often fall short on achieving the goodness. This was a continual struggle that apostle Paul expressed so well below.

Romans 7
    21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
    22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
    23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
    24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
    25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our LORD. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

However, God will deliver. God with the temptation will make a way to escape (1 Corinthians 10:13). Please keep your focus on God continually in prayer and meditation. Never ceasing. Never!

Remember, as being yoked with Christ, you are no longer alone in this life. You are yoked together with Christ.

Matthew 11
    28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Try to imagine what a yoke is. These were used with horses or oxen and such, to pair together animals to plow and work the fields, to till up the ground and such. The yoke was a heavy burden on the weakest of the (2) animals that were paired together with this tool.

Jesus compared this to what our relationship would be, if we will put our faith in him. He said come unto me.

Jesus will carry the burden and weight of the heaven yoke. In your case, the yoke is the weight you are carrying right now. And his yoke is easy and his burden is light. Come to Jesus feet and lay your burdens down right there. To get there, we often find ourselves in a kneeling position before him.

Indeed, the flesh is weak, but the spirit is strong.

God bless your journey and I commend you with where you have come.

Hello,

I have been agnostic for ages. converted to Christianity a while back, stayed sober and and after a very bad relapse, lost faith in Jesus.
    Came back to Jesus, repented, confessed sins and prayed, oh did I pray. Felt as if the obsession for booze was lifted, then it came back with a vengeance, planning to drink next week. and with me to drink is to die.
    with this obsession driving me nuts, I started to doubt the resurrection story.
    I wish I could just have the certainty that Jesus died and raised from the dead. Maybe this is what I am really after. then I can pray knowing that someone is actually listening and the Jesus is actually abiding in me.
    I want that so bad.
    I was raised in the church, but backslid in my teens, and it started with drinking. It really was developing into an addiction. When I turned back to the church, I left the alcohol and drugs behind. I'm glad I did because later, I became a drug and alcohol counselor for a short time, and didn't like what I saw. A lot of people just couldn't get a handle on things like heroin and alcohol.

Later, one of my former best friends had developed into a hardened alcoholic. And although he had accepted Christianity, he couldn't kick the habit. He would call me, drunk, all the time, and despite hours of encouragement from me, I realized he had to make the change. I stopped talking with him because for all my encouragement he just seemed to be sliding down into a hole, and I didn't want to be responsible if he killed himself.

Some time later I saw him, and he actually looked scary, staring and looking like a ghost. I knew I couldn't help him any more. He ended up in the newspaper, caught breaking into a house to steal the alcohol, perhaps. Then people were out to kill him for stealing their drugs. He moved to the other side of the state. Later I got word that he had been on firewatch for houses being constructed, and the house burned down, perhaps in his sleep.

Alcohol is not something you decide is going to be too much to bear. You just keep trying, until you're dry, and don't look back. The void has to be filled with positive activities, with a lot of Christ. The more you look to Christ the more you will know it's true. You'll eventually see a design in your life that shapes you into a servant of his. And that's where you'll learn to help others with the same kind of struggles. Really, we're all the same.

Thread Information