Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Backlash after Nike signs new deal with Colin Kaepernick

Re: Backlash after Nike signs new deal with Colin Kaepernick

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    The "protest" is about law enforcement. So get a badge, walk your beat, change the system, or shut your pie hole.
    This is very basic, too basic actually, I find it difficult to believe that even you believe this. Getting a badge isn't even almost the only reasonable let alone most effective way a person could affect change regarding these issues. thanks for your time.
    "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right."

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysesses View Post
    This is very basic, too basic actually, I find it difficult to believe that even you believe this. Getting a badge isn't even almost the only reasonable let alone most effective way a person could affect change regarding these issues. thanks for your time.
    You can find difficult whatever you wish.

It's the only way. Policing is a local activity. It has to be dealt with on a local level. If a local PD is violating civil rights, then hold that local PD responsible.

Everything else is just talk.

I almost missed it.... "even you"? Yes, we Neanderthal trogolodyte conservative libertarians [obvious racists] are unworthy (or unable) to engage in thought beyond "Me drag woman to cave" and as such have to believe things that are beneath the dignity of the intelligentia.

"Even you". Just think about the heart behind that.

I feel triggered and microaggressed, and I'll have to go find a safe space to have my fragile self-esteem assuaged.

Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best and only solution.

I almost missed it.... "even you"? Yes, we Neanderthal trogolodyte conservative libertarians [obvious racists] are unworthy (or unable) to engage in thought beyond "Me drag woman to cave" and as such have to believe things that are beneath the dignity of the intelligentia.

"Even you". Just think about the heart behind that.

I feel triggered and microaggressed, and I'll have to go find a safe space to have my fragile self-esteem assuaged.

Sometimes, the simplest solution is the best and only solution.
    I actually mixed those words up it was supposed to read "you even",but trust me i'm not actually surprised that you in particular think this way, Its just really difficult sometimes to get you and some other Neanderthal troglodyte conservative libertarians [obvious racists] to actually express their positions clearly.

I actually mixed those words up it was supposed to read "you even",but trust me i'm not actually surprised that you in particular think this way, Its just really difficult sometimes to get you and some other Neanderthal troglodyte conservative libertarians [obvious racists] to actually express their positions clearly.
    I would be shocked to find that anyone that been on this forum for any length of time, or had any other interaction with me either on line or off line, would think that I have any difficulty expressing my positions clearly.

I find it somewhat revelatory that in the space of mere minutes you moved from "I find it difficult to believe that you even believe" to "trust me, I'm not actually surprised that you in particular think this way."

So, were you being false in the first statement, or false in the second statement, or are your thoughts just driven about by the winds of expediency?

I would be shocked to find that anyone that been on this forum for any length of time, or had any other interaction with me either on line or off line, would think that I have any difficulty expressing my positions clearly.

I find it somewhat revelatory that in the space of mere minutes you moved from "I find it difficult to believe that you even believe" to "trust me, I'm not actually surprised that you in particular think this way."

So, were you being false in the first statement, or false in the second statement, or are your thoughts just driven about by the winds of expediency?
    haha fair enough, that didn't make much sense for me to say. I guess what I meant was on one level I find it difficult to believe that people think like you at all, but then I've been around the block enough that I do actually know what to expect and my incredulity is more like a reflex than anything else. I am conflicted in this way and i'm not sure what that means about me; but yeah you pointed it out and it is an external display of my internal conflict. so yeah fair dinkum, i'm a bit of a mess.

so yeah fair dinkum, i'm a bit of a mess.
    Aren't we all?

Well I initially meant the original protest, but if you have more to add about the Nike protest that is fine too but I feel like you've been clear on that point.
    I'm not really sure what he was trying to achieve. Protesting police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem before a sports game? Why not help fund civil lawsuits against the police, if he cares about police brutality so much? Oh, wait, that would involve an actual sacrifice rather than the bold "look at me, sacrificing nothing at all to make my point" stand he actually took.

Of course if he cared about young black men he might have tried to do something about the number of them killed by other young black men. Maybe launch a foundation to encourage them to play sports, or work harder at school, or do something other than killing each other. Oh, wait, that would involve an actual sacrifice as well.

Honestly, his protest seems like the kind of people who show just how much they care about a cause by applying the latest filter to their Facebook profile picture, as if that actually achieved anything. They stand in solidarity with the victims of the latest tragedy. They don't necessarily do anything (well, aside from changing their profile picture for a few days), but they make a show of indicating they are on the right side of things.

It's virtue signalling, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonajero View Post
    I'm not really sure what he was trying to achieve. Protesting police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem before a sports game? Why not help fund civil lawsuits against the police, if he cares about police brutality so much? Oh, wait, that would involve an actual sacrifice rather than the bold "look at me, sacrificing nothing at all to make my point" stand he actually took.

Of course if he cared about young black men he might have tried to do something about the number of them killed by other young black men. Maybe launch a foundation to encourage them to play sports, or work harder at school, or do something other than killing each other. Oh, wait, that would involve an actual sacrifice as well.

Honestly, his protest seems like the kind of people who show just how much they care about a cause by applying the latest filter to their Facebook profile picture, as if that actually achieved anything. They stand in solidarity with the victims of the latest tragedy. They don't necessarily do anything (well, aside from changing their profile picture for a few days), but they make a show of indicating they are on the right side of things.

It's virtue signalling, nothing more.
    Well he did pledge to donate a million dollars to various charities when he started his protest...and then he actually did. Here is an article detailing the amounts and organizations and brief synopses of what those organizations do. Did you not know about this or is there something wrong with his donations?

Well he did pledge to donate a million dollars to various charities when he started his protest...and then he actually did. Here is an article detailing the amounts and organizations and brief synopses of what those organizations do. Did you not know about this or is there something wrong with his donations?
    Aside from the idea that a million dollars isn't all that much to someone making millions a year, and the idea that simply writing a check and letting someone else do all the work is something of a soft option, no, nothing at all wrong with his donations.

Aside from the idea that a million dollars isn't all that much to someone making millions a year, and the idea that simply writing a check and letting someone else do all the work is something of a soft option, no, nothing at all wrong with his donations.
    Great, is it enough to qualify him as actually caring about police brutality?

Caring about something and being a change agent are two different things

Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Hard to say really. Does he care about police brutality or is he doing little more than virtue signalling?

If he cares about police brutality is it because he cares about the wellbeing of young black men or is it just a handy political football to kick (no pun intended)? If he cares about the wellbeing of young black men perhaps he would be better off looking at why they kill each other in such great numbers rather than the less common incidences of why they are killed by cops. It's hard to say, and somewhat lost in the comical claims that he has sacrificed everything.

Lots of people care about lots of things. Many care enough to update their Facebook profile picture to "show solidarity" with whatever group we're supposed to show solidarity with this time around. You know, the one that features on Facebook today and invites you to apply their filter to your profile picture, until the next thing we're supposed to show solidarity with by applying a different filter to our profile picture. Because nothing says you stand with the Parisians after a terror attack quite like a little picture of the Eiffel Tower in the corner of your profile picture.

How many years worth of an NFL player's salary would it take to accumulate a fund large enough you don't need to work for the rest of your life? Perhaps he could have made his views known, then actually walked away from his career once he had enough to not need to work for money and spent his life working with black communities trying to actually make a difference. OK, maybe he wouldn't get to live the lifestyle that a 7-figure annual income buys but, you know, this is the guy who apparently sacrificed everything, right?

Hard to say really. Does he care about police brutality or is he doing little more than virtue signalling?

I can't say that I honestly know, I only asked because you put margins around what he would do if he actually cared about police brutality. I'm paraphrasing but you said that if he cared about police brutality he would fund civil suits, which he effectively did through his donations to several organizations.

If he cares about police brutality is it because he cares about the wellbeing of young black men or is it just a handy political football to kick (no pun intended)? If he cares about the wellbeing of young black men perhaps he would be better off looking at why they kill each other in such great numbers rather than the less common incidences of why they are killed by cops. It's hard to say, and somewhat lost in the comical claims that he has sacrificed everything.
    no worries, no pun taken. So is the goalpost now that he cares about young black men if he's ever looked into why they(young black men) kill each other in such great numbers rather than the less common incidences of why they are killed by cops?

Lots of people care about lots of things. Many care enough to update their Facebook profile picture to "show solidarity" with whatever group we're supposed to show solidarity with this time around. You know, the one that features on Facebook today and invites you to apply their filter to your profile picture, until the next thing we're supposed to show solidarity with by applying a different filter to our profile picture. Because nothing says you stand with the Parisians after a terror attack quite like a little picture of the Eiffel Tower in the corner of your profile picture.
    Yeah, it is my understanding that this is a fairly accurate description of how and why many people use facebook.

How many years worth of an NFL player's salary would it take to accumulate a fund large enough you don't need to work for the rest of your life? Perhaps he could have made his views known, then actually walked away from his career once he had enough to not need to work for money and spent his life working with black communities trying to actually make a difference. OK, maybe he wouldn't get to live the lifestyle that a 7-figure annual income buys but, you know, this is the guy who apparently sacrificed everything, right?
    So should I move the goalpost over here now?... because i'm only going to lug it over here if you are certain that this is where we are going to set up the field.

Thread Information