Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Repentance an essential doctrine?

Is Repentance an essential doctrine?

Aviyah and Falconcheff both mention this in their list of essentials. And is now currently being discussed in the other one. But it deserves it's own thread.

Is repentance an essential activity for salvation? Would you consider repentance a work?

Must one repent in order to be saved.

And after being saved is it essential for on to continue to repent as needed?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Re: Is Repentance an essential doctrine?

I'm going with what Jesus said in Mark 1 / 15 among other places.... like

Luke 24 / 47 " and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in His name to all nations , beginning in Jerusalem".

And again in 2nd Peter 3 / 9 " The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance".

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    Aviyah and Falconcheff both mention this in their list of essentials.And is now currently being discussed in the other one. But it deserves it's own thread.

Is repentance an essential activity for salvation? Would you consider repentance a work?

And after being saved is it essential for on to continue torepent as needed?
    "Repentance" means a turnabout of 180. It means that a man was once headed in a direction, and chooses another and diametrically opposed route. It is essential for salvation, but it is not caused by DOCTRINE. It is caused by the Holy Spirit convincing the man that his road ends in judgement. John 16:8 reads; "And when he (the Holy Spirit) is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:"

The "DOCTRINE" of repentance only comes later as the man, who once repented, explains it to others. So, I would write it thus;

"Repentance is needed for salvation. It is caused by a conviction by the Holy Spirit. The DOCTRINE of ongoing repentance in the Christian's daily life is ESSENTIAL.

Repentance is a part of the saved person's "makeup"...a characteristic of Christ's sheep:

" I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." ( Luke 5:32 )

" Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
    38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." ( Acts 2:37-38 )

" Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" ( Acts 3:19 )

" testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." ( Acts 20:21 )

" Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
    For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. "
    ( 2 Corinthians 7:9 )

Do a study on the word "repentance", and track how many places in God's word it is listed. Use a Nave's Topical Bible, or perhaps a Strong's for help;
    There are many passages that contain it.

It is something that God commands, therefore it must be present in anyone that has a relationship with Him.
    Here is where I may differ with some on this board...I don't call it a "requirement", I call it a necessary evidence that must exist in their desires, if someone is saved.

Aviyah and Falconcheff both mention this in their list of essentials.And is now currently being discussed in the other one. But it deserves it's own thread.

And after being saved is it essential for on to continue torepent as needed?
    I don't consider a change of mind an activity, and a change of mind is what repent means. Activity is the result of a change of mind. This is why so many wrongly attribute action to repent. If you truly have repented, changed your mind, your actions will change as well, but it is the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    I don't consider a change of mind an activity, and a change of mind is what repent means. Activity is the result of a change of mind. This is why so many wrongly attribute action to repent. If you truly have repented, changed your mind, your actions will change as well, but it is the result.
    OK ... but is it your position that if you do not repent then you are not saved? Or is your position that one can be or is saved without repentance?
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

OK ... but is it your position that if you do not repent then you are not saved? Or is your position that one can be or is saved without repentance?
    In my experience I came to understand that what I was inside was not what I thought I was, something or someone made me look at who I truly was.
    I felt great pain and sorrow when I came to understand and repented and asked forgiveness for my sins.

From that day on I have been studying the bible and doing the things that Jesus tells us to do, and by doing this it does renew the mind in a way that you really can't explain, but if your out look on life and your health starts to improve then who am I to turn back to sin when the reward is worth the journey.

I think the hardest thing for a Christian is to try and explain what benefits you receive by repenting and following Christ Jesus, to deny yourself the pleasure of this world and defeat it as Jesus did.

Not all have to repent but sinners must, but they also must come to an understanding that they have sinned.
    Many of my friends suffer, but will not admit that they have sinned and like many, do not see the truth because just like I was are blind and deaf to the word.

This is the reason why we should not judge anybody, because they still have a chance to come to know the truth and repent.

We must be like Jesus and Love everyone, We must stop judging the way they live or work or who they think they are, look at yourselves first and judge yourself before you judge another.

Also be careful of false teacher's, I do not go to church as I don't need a preacher reading a few passages from the bible and then trying to explain it's meaning by his understanding.
    We all have the opportunity to read the bible ourselves and meditating on what Jesus says and come to think like him.

When I was a sinner I found the bible so hard to read but now it's so simple to understand.

[QUOTE=Old man;3465248]Aviyah and Falconcheff both mention this in their list of essentials. And is now currently being discussed in the other one. But it deserves it's own thread.

Hey! Old man... PTL!
    When the Lord calls the lost to Jesus, the Spirit reproves that person of their sin. If there is a sorrow after the world, the lost person moves toward death. If there is a godly sorrow that leads to repentance and that person confesses to Jesus and believes in the heart: Jesus chooses them, planting a mustard seed of faith into their soul; while the Holy Spirit takes up residence in their spirit, baptizing them into the body of Christ and a new babe in Christ is born again.

A babe in Christ is someone who needs to learn the first principals of the oracles of God; which are: repentance from dead works, faith towards God, the doctrine of baptisms, laying on of hands, eternal judgment, and the resurrection of the dead.

In Heb 5 and 6: we learn that someone who should have been a teacher can also be in need of being retaught these principals or someone who can become a babe in Christ once again. Faith is how we please the Lord by believing what he tells us, enough to act upon it. The doctrine of baptisms refers to one time events, such as water baptism, John's baptism of repentance, and when we were all by one Spirit baptized into one body. The laying on of hands refers to our ministering to each other as the body of Christ and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment refers to the church's burden for the lost.

When a believer stumbles into sin, the Spirit uses scripture to minister repentance. To move past the first principals of the oracles of God that is for the babes in Christ and receive illumination from the Spirit concerning the strong meat of the mature; one must have their senses exercised by reason of use of the word of righteousness to discern both good and evil in their life and grow up in the Lord.

Heb 5:12-6:2 "For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one to teach you again which be the first principals of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For everyone that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Therefore leaving the principals of the doctrine of Christ let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Maranatha!

Well obviously you have to change your mind from your way to his.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    Well obviously you have to change your mind from your way to his.
    Thanks for such a short , sweet , and iron-clad answer.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

So, one changes ones mind in terms of the person and work of Jesus?
    "MISSION: To rescue Christians enslaved by manmade religion and to bring them to the freedom of Jesus."

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    So, one changes ones mind in terms of the person and work of Jesus?
    Changes ones life through the person and work of Jesus.

Blog Entries

Repentance is Judah not throwing Benjamin under the bus when he was provided with that choice.

Yes, repentance changes lives.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Changes ones life through the person and work of Jesus.
    That's not repentance of an unbeliever.

That's the work of the Holy Spirit in sanctification of the believer.
    "MISSION: To rescue Christians enslaved by manmade religion and to bring them to the freedom of Jesus."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    That's not repentance of an unbeliever.

That's the work of the Holy Spirit in sanctification of the believer.
    Yes. It is basically Romans 12:2 which is taught to Christians.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Thread Information