Page 1 of 18 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mental Prayer vs Spoken Prayer

Mental Prayer vs Spoken Prayer

I was in Mt 6 about prayer and fasting. Also I was always taught that God knows your thoughts as too there are scriptures that say so. There are also scriptures about the voice. I was taught that Satan can put thoughts in your mind but he can not read your mind. One of the meanings of “secret” is inwardly. So these were some of the questions I wanted to see what others thought on the subject. Of course we have Hannah in 1Sa 1:13.
    Does God hear your mental prayers?
    Is there more power in a spoken prayer?
    Does it matter which way we pray mental vs spoken?
    With speaking a prayer, can't the mind be elsewhere?
    I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the matter.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Mental Prayer vs Spoken Prayer

I pray both audibly and mentally. When the prayer is for others, when I am interceding, when I am praising/glorifying God through prayer, giving thanks, when I have laid on hands and faithfully pray for a healing, etc, I pray audibly.

When I pray for myself, the praying is mostly mental. My reasons, when God is answering my internal prayers, I know it's Him because no one else (including satan) knows the prayer.

Basically, supplication prayers are silent when I pray. I will start out audible, during the praising/glorifying parts, thanks is voiced but when I get down to the personal stuff, where I really go into supplication, most of the time I go silent in prayer during that portion. Then go audible again to finish off the prayer, usually in thanks for answering... even though I have not received yet. I if don't receive, it's because God answers in His way and when/as I recognize the answer or have the break through, I'll go back into praising ASAP. I have stepped out of my office at work or just closed the door to praise and worship God.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I pray both audibly and mentally. When the prayer is for others, when I am interceding, when I am praising/glorifying God through prayer, giving thanks, when I have laid on hands and faithfully pray for a healing, etc, I pray audibly.

When I pray for myself, the praying is mostly mental. My reasons, when God is answering my internal prayers, I know it's Him because no one else (including satan) knows the prayer.

Basically, supplication prayers are silent when I pray. I will start out audible, during the praising/glorifying parts, thanks is voiced but when I get down to the personal stuff, where I really go into supplication, most of the time I go silent in prayer during that portion. Then go audible again to finish off the prayer, usually in thanks for answering... even though I have not received yet. I if don't receive, it's because God answers in His way and when/as I recognize the answer or have the break through, I'll go back into praising ASAP. I have stepped out of my office at work or just closed the door to praise and worship God.
    So you are saying it is all mental for you except for the times you are in front of the people you are praying for. As in a group. That is pretty much how I do also...but I will even praise mentally too. When I read how you use your voice in the praise part I heard this scripture

Psalms 100:1 A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

I usually don't use the voice except with praise and worship music going. So you might have something there never thought about it that way. So thanks for sharing.
    So you don't think there is more power in one than the other? If you are doing some spiritual warfare is that spoken for you? I should have made that one of my questions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
    So you are saying it is all mental for you except for the times you are in front of the people you are praying for. As in a group. That is pretty much how I do also...but I will even praise mentally too. When I read how you use your voice in the praise part I heard this scripture

Psalms 100:1 A Psalm of praise. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.

I usually don't use the voice except with praise and worship music going. So you might have something there never thought about it that way. So thanks for sharing.
    So you don't think there is more power in one than the other? If you are doing some spiritual warfare is that spoken for you? I should have made that one of my questions.
    I can honestly say that 99% of any spiritual warfare praying, is audible as this is on the same level as intercessory prayer for me. Basically, ONLY if I'm told by the Holy Spirit to pray silently, I will.

In groups, if I am not the one voicing the prayer, I do pray silently in support of the person who is voicing prayer. I may say a soft Amen, or a Hooah, praise God when led. If I am the lead in any public or group praying, yeah... all audible. Especially if over a person or lifting up a petition raised by someone in the group. Personally, I am not edified if I raise an issue and another (for example the Bible study leader or the prayer circle leader) prays about the issue silently. Seems even strange to me.

I've been through battles dealing with prayer. in the past, I would not pray audibly at all publicly and a pastor began to disciple me concerning prayer. In time, I and a prayer partner had to pray daily for a year. So we'd sometimes link up or when at church, or over the phone, we'd pray audibly. I first began by literally writing out my prayer for the day when I had time throughout the day and then read the prayer during our prayer time. I still have that folder on the book shelf with 280+ prayers because in time I had break through and began to pray audibly with confidence as I had learned over that year to "hear" what the Holy Spirit was prompting me to pray.

What He laid upon my heart I began to write out and evidence of hearing the Holy Spirit is where my prayer partner's "silent" prayers were coming out through my prayers in the form of answers and guidance. Not only my prayer partner but also topics, guidance, answers for others in church that my prayer partner (a pastor in the church) was privy of concerning due to counseling and telling the person they'd be prayed for them. Yeah, when these issues with answers and guidance began to come forth in those written prayers, this ended all hesitation in myself to just speak or pray what the Holy Spirit placed upon my spirit.

No fear of praying out loud since that experience
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

I prayed internally for most of my life. I began seeing a lot more fruit when I started praying out loud. I don't have a concrete Scripture that says one way is "more powerful" than another. Hannah is a good example of silent prayer. Jesus in the garden is a good example of audible prayer. The main point is that your spirit reaches out to God, that can be expressed in different ways. But personally I have grown away from praying silently whether by myself or in groups. I had some experiences which made me relate to Psalm 116...

I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the Lord: "O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul!" ... I believed, even when I spoke: “I am greatly afflicted”; I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.” What shall I render to the Lord for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. (Psalm 116)

Part of the reason I prefer praying out loud is I just want to be heard. Or I want it to be "on the record." Very hard to describe... but I'd at least encourage other believers to speak to our Father audibly even in private. I think He created birds in remote parts of the world, who still sing because He can hear them. So I would hope that He also takes pleasure in hearing me a few times before I go back into the dust. I don't think this is really a subject that can be analyzed with the type of questioning you have in the OP. Prayer can be simultaneously audible and inaudible, or shift between the two randomly depending on the "abundance of the heart."
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I can honestly say that 99% of any spiritual warfare praying, is audible as this is on the same level as intercessory prayer for me. Basically, ONLY if I'm told by the Holy Spirit to pray silently, I will.

In groups, if I am not the one voicing the prayer, I do pray silently in support of the person who is voicing prayer. I may say a soft Amen, or a Hooah, praise God when led. If I am the lead in any public or group praying, yeah... all audible. Especially if over a person or lifting up a petition raised by someone in the group. Personally, I am not edified if I raise an issue and another (for example the Bible study leader or the prayer circle leader) prays about the issue silently. Seems even strange to me.

I've been through battles dealing with prayer. in the past, I would not pray audibly at all publicly and a pastor began to disciple me concerning prayer. In time, I and a prayer partner had to pray daily for a year. So we'd sometimes link up or when at church, or over the phone, we'd pray audibly. I first began by literally writing out my prayer for the day when I had time throughout the day and then read the prayer during our prayer time. I still have that folder on the book shelf with 280+ prayers because in time I had break through and began to pray audibly with confidence as I had learned over that year to "hear" what the Holy Spirit was prompting me to pray.

What He laid upon my heart I began to write out and evidence of hearing the Holy Spirit is where my prayer partner's "silent" prayers were coming out through my prayers in the form of answers and guidance. Not only my prayer partner but also topics, guidance, answers for others in church that my prayer partner (a pastor in the church) was privy of concerning due to counseling and telling the person they'd be prayed for them. Yeah, when these issues with answers and guidance began to come forth in those written prayers, this ended all hesitation in myself to just speak or pray what the Holy Spirit placed upon my spirit.

No fear of praying out loud since that experience
    Well sounds like some prayer exercise for sure. It was good to have a prayer partner and I never thought about doing that to help overcome things. I know I will pray out loud in a group but I don't enjoy doing it...so I have not overcome that part I would rather be the silent one. I have prayed enough out loud though that at least my sons pray out loud if needed and it blesses me to hear them.

Yes I agree with spiritual warfare...it is more audible for me too...but then you want Satan to hear it for sure, that is how I look at it. However, I do those battles when alone or find a place to be alone, sometimes that is going for a drive.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Aviyah View Post
    I prayed internally for most of my life. I began seeing a lot more fruit when I started praying out loud. I don't have a concrete Scripture that says one way is "more powerful" than another. Hannah is a good example of silent prayer. Jesus in the garden is a good example of audible prayer. The main point is that your spirit reaches out to God, that can be expressed in different ways. But personally I have grown away from praying silently whether by myself or in groups. I had some experiences which made me relate to Psalm 116...

I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the Lord: "O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul!" ... I believed, even when I spoke: “I am greatly afflicted”; I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.” What shall I render to the Lord for all his benefits to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. (Psalm 116)

Part of the reason I prefer praying out loud is I just want to be heard. Or I want it to be "on the record." Very hard to describe... but I'd at least encourage other believers to speak to our Father audibly even in private. I think He created birds in remote parts of the world, who still sing because He can hear them. So I would hope that He also takes pleasure in hearing me a few times before I go back into the dust. I don't think this is really a subject that can be analyzed with the type of questioning you have in the OP. Prayer can be simultaneously audible and inaudible, or shift between the two randomly depending on the "abundance of the heart."
    Yes you are right about Jesus, I think He prayed both ways by scriptures. Why else would the disciples ask him how to pray. Plus He went alone to pray.

That is interesting that you have seen more fruit praying audibly. Thanks for posting Ps 116...It puts a different look on things too. I do have times alone to be able to do that and just never have. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

Well sounds like some prayer exercise for sure. It was good to have a prayer partner and I never thought about doing that to help overcome things. I know I will pray out loud in a group but I don't enjoy doing it...so I have not overcome that part I would rather be the silent one. I have prayed enough out loud though that at least my sons pray out loud if needed and it blesses me to hear them.

Yes I agree with spiritual warfare...it is more audible for me too...but then you want Satan to hear it for sure, that is how I look at it. However, I do those battles when alone or find a place to be alone, sometimes that is going for a drive.

Thanks again
    Hooah! I used to pace up and down my driveway while praying and when I wanted to stop walking, I'd drop the tailgate of the truck and sit and continue to pray.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Always inward, what else to expect from an introvert.

Blog Entries

Genesis 24:42–45 (NIV): 42*“When I came to the spring today, I said, ‘Lord, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come. 43*See, I am standing beside this spring. If a young woman comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,” 44*and if she says to me, “Drink, and I’ll draw water for your camels too,” let her be the one the Lord has chosen for my master’s son.’
    45*“Before I finished praying in my heart, Rebekah came out, with her jar on her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water, and I said to her, ‘Please give me a drink.’

The prayer was answered.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

I was in Mt 6 about prayer and fasting. Also I was always taught that God knows your thoughts as too there are scriptures that say so. There are also scriptures about the voice. I was taught that Satan can put thoughts in your mind but he can not read your mind. One of the meanings of “secret” is inwardly. So these were some of the questions I wanted to see what others thought on the subject. Of course we have Hannah in 1Sa 1:13.
    Does God hear your mental prayers?
    Is there more power in a spoken prayer?
    Does it matter which way we pray mental vs spoken?
    With speaking a prayer, can't the mind be elsewhere?
    I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the matter.
    Yes , God hears your silent prayers . I like to go outside after dark and sit in on my patio and pray . It is nice to pray outside under a canopy of stars . I praise God and pray silent or spoken and sometimes in the Spirit .

I don't think satan can put thoughts in the mind of a Christian , now the unsaved might be another story .

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Genesis 24:42–45 (NIV): 42*“When I came to the spring today, I said, ‘Lord, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come. 43*See, I am standing beside this spring. If a young woman comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,” 44*and if she says to me, “Drink, and I’ll draw water for your camels too,” let her be the one the Lord has chosen for my master’s son.’
    45*“Before I finished praying in my heart, Rebekah came out, with her jar on her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water, and I said to her, ‘Please give me a drink.’

The prayer was answered.
    Thanks for posting this, the only one I could think of was Hannah.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Yes , God hears your silent prayers . I like to go outside after dark and sit in on my patio and pray . It is nice to pray outside under a canopy of stars . I praise God and pray silent or spoken and sometimes in the Spirit .

I don't think satan can put thoughts in the mind of a Christian , now the unsaved might be another story .
    By scriptures both ways of prayer are heard of the Lord.

As far as the mind and temptation... temptation is from the devil, I think of temptation starting in the mind...I mean when Jesus was tempted, to me that was not a physical appearing of satan, it was a happening of the mind and an overcoming with verbal of the Lord, so it doesn't go to heart. I hope that makes sense in how I am thinking. This is really the only place where we see such a temptation and to me how I see it being more of the mind. To me Jesus had this peace and He countered it with scriptures.

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

God hears all prayers, silent and aloud...
    John 11:41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.

42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.

However, because we are created in the image and likeness of God, and God created all things by speaking them into existence, our spoken prayers have more authority. Only God hears the prayers of our thoughts, but our ministering angels respond to the voice of the word of God (Psalm 103:20); also, devils/demons are subject to our authority (Luke 10), which is only exerted through speaking (as they cannot read our thoughts)...
    Jesus said, "Out of the hardness of your hearts Moses gave a writ of divorce; but from the beginning it was not so." How many more things do you suppose are, "From the beginning, NOT so?"

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

I will pray with my mind and with my spirit. Paul, 1 Cor 14.

There is no magic in the world, and words don't have any more intrinsic power when spoken out loud than when thought.

Thread Information