Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mental Prayer vs Spoken Prayer

Re: Mental Prayer vs Spoken Prayer

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post

There is no magic in the world, and words don't have any more intrinsic power when spoken out loud than when thought.
    This is wrong. Only God knows people's thoughts. The power to command angels and demons resides in speech. Also, God did not think the universe into existence, He spoke it into existence.
    Jesus said, "Out of the hardness of your hearts Moses gave a writ of divorce; but from the beginning it was not so." How many more things do you suppose are, "From the beginning, NOT so?"

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

You have no power to command demons or angels

And words are not a creative power or vehicle

And none of us are God

Blog Entries

Not to mention this is a thread about prayer. Are we praying to Satan or angels or demons?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

You have no power to command demons or angels

And none of us are God
    This is wrong.

Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

Psalm 103:20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.

Not to mention the numerous verses that deal with the power of the tongue. Here's a couple...

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
    10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

By these verses, we can plainly see that we can command angels and demons, and curse or bless with our words. Where are your Scriptures that contradict these statements?

Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
    Jesus said, "Out of the hardness of your hearts Moses gave a writ of divorce; but from the beginning it was not so." How many more things do you suppose are, "From the beginning, NOT so?"

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Not to mention this is a thread about prayer. Are we praying to Satan or angels or demons?
    Okay then. One can pray silently or aloud.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Falconcheff View Post
    This is wrong.

Psalm 103:20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.

Not to mention the numerous verses that deal with the power of the tongue. Here's a couple...

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
    10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

By these verses, we can plainly see that we can command angels and demons, and curse or bless with our words. Where are your Scriptures that contradict these statements?

Complete eisegesis

Quote Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
    I was in Mt 6 about prayer and fasting. Also I was always taught that God knows your thoughts as too there are scriptures that say so. There are also scriptures about the voice. I was taught that Satan can put thoughts in your mind but he can not read your mind. One of the meanings of “secret” is inwardly. So these were some of the questions I wanted to see what others thought on the subject. Of course we have Hannah in 1Sa 1:13.
    Does God hear your mental prayers?
    Is there more power in a spoken prayer?
    Does it matter which way we pray mental vs spoken?
    With speaking a prayer, can't the mind be elsewhere?
    I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the matter.
    Interesting question. I would say yes, God hears your thoughts. Satan does not. Satan is not omnipresent, but he has agents everywhere, both angelic and human. I'm not sure it makes much difference if Satan knows what you say or do, because God limits his ability to impact your life. If he's allowed to oppose you, that's what you're going to have to experience.

But God designed the brain and the thought processes. There is nothing about you He doesn't know, from the atomic structure of your body to the thoughts in your mind. But He is so great He takes time to hear you say things to Him. He is in no hurry!

Blog Entries

Complete eisegesis
    Acts 16:16-18 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    16 It happened that as we were going to the place of prayer, a slave-girl having a spirit of divination met us, who was bringing her masters much profit by fortune-telling. 17 Following after Paul and us, she kept crying out, saying, “These men are bond-servants of the Most High God, who are proclaiming to you [a]the way of salvation.” 18 She continued doing this for many days. But Paul was greatly annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her!” And it came out at that very [b]moment.

Footnotes:
    Acts 16:17 Lit a way
    Acts 16:18 Lit hour
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...8&version=NASB

You might want to have a little think about that. Christians do not have power (i.e. authority) to command angels, but demons are a different matter.
    Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Rm 8:35-39

Quote Originally Posted by doug3 View Post

You might want to have a little think about that. Christians do not have power (i.e. authority) to command angels, but demons are a different matter.
    You are right about us not commanding angels...but as Ps 103:20 states, they do the word of the Lord, so just like Jesus battled satan with the word of the Lord so we need to use the word of the Lord. And the angels ministered to Him. Matthew 4:11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
    Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

This is how I understand it and have seen it used...we were given the keys of the kingdom:
    Matthew 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Binding we know as far as binding satan, binding the strong man. An example is loosing is in Revelation 9:14-15. When we loose we quote the word of the Lord...as the angels do His word... so we can quote:

Psalms 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

Psalms 91:10-11 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

This is how I understand it where angels are concerned and where we need to know and quote the word of the Lord for Ps 103:20 to be activated.

You are right about us not commanding angels...but as Ps 103:20 states, they do the word of the Lord, so just like Jesus battled satan with the word of the Lord so we need to use the word of the Lord. And the angels ministered to Him. Matthew 4:11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
    Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

This is how I understand it and have seen it used...we were given the keys of the kingdom:
    Matthew 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Binding we know as far as binding satan, binding the strong man. An example is loosing is in Revelation 9:14-15. When we loose we quote the word of the Lord...as the angels do His word... so we can quote:

Psalms 34:7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

Psalms 91:10-11 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

This is how I understand it where angels are concerned and where we need to know and quote the word of the Lord for Ps 103:20 to be activated.
    Well put, my friend... well put. In my original post, where I used Psalm 103:20 as reference, maybe I was misunderstood to mean that I thought we could walk around saying, "Angel, do this... or, Angel do that..."

Certainly not the case. When I said we could command angels, I see how that could be easily misconstrued. What you have explained throughout is a much better way of explaining what I meant by that... that by speaking God's Word, we can cause our angels to move on our behalf...

Thank you for your input..

Quote Originally Posted by Falconcheff View Post
    Well put, my friend... well put. In my original post, where I used Psalm 103:20 as reference, maybe I was misunderstood to mean that I thought we could walk around saying, "Angel, do this... or, Angel do that..."

Certainly not the case. When I said we could command angels, I see how that could be easily misconstrued. What you have explained throughout is a much better way of explaining what I meant by that... that by speaking God's Word, we can cause our angels to move on our behalf...

Thank you for your input..
    Thank you.. Here was the other thing I was wondering where angels were concerned. We know the Lord does command the angels. We are told in the word to ask:
    John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

So the question is can't we also ask for angels to be somewhere? Seems to me we can. We were not told we can't ask about angels.

Thank you.. Here was the other thing I was wondering where angels were concerned. We know the Lord does command the angels. We are told in the word to ask:
    John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

So the question is can't we also ask for angels to be somewhere? Seems to me we can. We were not told we can't ask about angels.
    I don't see why not... according to Scripture...if 1 John tells us repeatedly that we are Christ-like:
    1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

...and Scripture says we have His authority:
    Mark 13:34 For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.

Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

...And we know that Jesus could have called upon His Father for angelic deliverance...
    Matthew 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

I'd say it's a safe bet that if one were to believe the Scriptures, one would have to conclude that we can...Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

But, of course, one has to believe it first...Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him

And none of us are God
    You are right that none of us are God... but I think if you look at these scriptures you will see that there is power in the tongue for life and death and blessing and cursing...we are told to chose life.

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

You are right that none of us are God... but I think if you look at these scriptures you will see that there is power in the tongue for life and death and blessing and cursing...we are told to chose life.

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
    Words are not magic and have no creative or destructive power inherent in them.

Words are not magic and have no creative or destructive power inherent in them.
    Just because you keep saying this doesn't make it true, especially when presented with the overwhelming evidence of Scripture contrary to the statement...

Thread Information