Thread: What is prayer?

Blog Entries

What is prayer?

Reading posts in another place at this forum made me wonder what some folks think prayer is.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Re: What is prayer?

In Hebrew, the term for prayer is "L’hitpalel". It means "to judge or examine one's self." I believe that Augustine and Luther defined prayer similarly: Daily self examination before God.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

Prayer is our open line of communication to God . Sometimes only a few words is all you can get out in time . My family and I were stopped by traffic in our car on a rain slickened 2 lane highway . I looked back in the rear view mirror to see a truck pulling a cattle trailer jackknifing soon to be hitting us in the rear . All that I got out was " Lord Jesus ! " and the next thing I saw was the truck come by us on the shoulder of the road next to us , praise God ! Be ready to pray at all times .

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Reading posts in another place at this forum made me wonder what some folks think prayer is.
    Prayer assumes many different forms, from casual conversation with God to urgent requests. In a nutshell, it is communion with God. If there is no real relationship why have a God, and why have religion?

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Now, I understand prayer as a relational conversation with God that is spiritual in nature, fueled by love for Him along with faith in Him. Oh, and lots of patience waiting on an answer when an answer doesn't come quick like. Prayer is actually easy, ONCE I got it into my head HOW easy... just talk with God, inform Him of what my problem is or other's problems are and allow Him to respond in His way. Prayer is the surrender of all over to Him and inviting Him to take full control.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Now, I understand prayer as a relational conversation with God that is spiritual in nature, fueled by love for Him along with faith in Him. Oh, and lots of patience waiting on an answer when an answer doesn't come quick like. Prayer is actually easy, ONCE I got it into my head HOW easy... just talk with God and allow Him to respond in His way.
    Just talking to the Holy Spirit that lives within me all the time.

Nothing fancy.

Nothing ritualistic.

Just hanging out with my best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Just talking to the Holy Spirit that lives within me all the time.

Nothing fancy.

Nothing ritualistic.

Just hanging out with my best friend.
    Man, I like that lost statement!

Thread Information