Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Where is God?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    3,956

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    I am not trying to say that I have to convince them. As you rightly say, the Holy Spirit convicts people of sin as well as convincing people their need for God.

    But that does not mean we sit back and do nothing.

    The Bible, as I said earlier, tells us to have a ready answer. And that is what I am seeking. What is the ready answer to this type of question. I see several people saying "faith" and "you have to believe" and things like that. Not really a good answer, though. Someone can say the exact same things about Mohammad, Buddhism, even Scientology. "You just have to believe my claims. Trust me." That type of answer is flatly rejected by today's society.

    This is probably why Jesus did what he did when he walked the Earth. Claiming to be Messiah with nothing to back it up really won't get you very far.

    I think we as followers maybe aren't doing a very good job with the tools Jesus gave us. And so we are left without a really good testimony. Sure, we can go with the "burning in the bosom" argument, but that is the same thing the Mormons do, and they followed that "burning in the bosom" right into following a false prophet.
    Good points. Someone made a profound statement earlier in the week. They said that the Gospel moves at the speed of trust. The argument to back up the Gospel is love itself.

    Love for one another and for those who are unbelievers will gain their trust faster than anything and open doors faster than anything.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    157

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    God is in everything you see
    Hi Hawkman, where does the Bible teach us that God is in everything we see? That's the teaching of Pantheism, not Christianity.

    Thanks!

    ~Deut
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.


    Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.


    1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

    1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sandmountain Alabama
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuteronomy Skaggs View Post
    Hi Hawkman, where does the Bible teach us that God is in everything we see? That's the teaching of Pantheism, not Christianity.

    Thanks!

    ~Deut
    Oh Dear !

    God is in everything , meaning HE created ALL we see . We see the hand of God at work all around us .

    Genesis 1
    1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

    Does that clear up what I said ?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    157

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?
    Hi Lighthope, if you mean where is God physically present, I would say that He is omnipresent, IOW, He always exists everywhere and at every time. And as the Creator of everything that exists (IOW, as the Creator of space/time), He is both transcendent and immanent, meaning that He exists both within and outside of space/time.

    Or do you mean, "where is God", in the sense of "why isn't He here helping us in the midst of all of the problems we face everyday"?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.
    No, thanks to the things the Bible tells us about God (and about the Lord's return, as well), I don't think I would .. e.g. Exodus 33:20; John 1:18; John 4:24; 1 Timothy 6:16; 1 John 4:12 ~and~ Matthew 24:23-27.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?
    See again what I wrote above, as well the Scripture references, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?
    I have a friend who watched as the Lord healed his baby daughter physically while he held her in his arms. Getting his iPhone out to film it would have been, at best, an afterthought.

    I have another friend at church whose body was filled with cancer three years ago, including a golf ball tumor in his brain. He is alive and back at work today because his cancer disappeared. As for evidence, he has films that track the growth of the cancer in his brain. He also has the last two films that show no evidence of the golf ball sized brain tumor that used to exist there, that has "magically" disappeared, w/o treatment or surgery. While this is a truly wondrous occurrence, unfortunately, God becomes only one of many possibilities for the non-Christian as to why/how this "miracle" occurred.

    If you want to help people come to faith in Christ, the Lord has something to say about that and the miraculous in the Gospel of Luke.

    Luke 16
    19 There was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day.
    20 And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores,
    21 and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores.
    22 Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.
    23 In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.’
    25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony.
    26 ‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’
    27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father’s house—
    28 for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
    29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’
    30 But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!
    31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded, even if someone rises from the dead.’

    ~Deut

    Romans 10

    17 Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
    .
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.


    Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.


    1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

    1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.


  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,725
    Blog Entries
    44

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society? It is a legitimate question.
    Yes, it’s a great question. Where is God? The question can be answered, but many will find the answer unsatisfactory. This aspec does not negate the answer tho...without revelation from God, we may never know the answer.

    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.
    Indeed.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?
    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.
    Well, Scripture contains some jewels about God. This is His revelation to us about our beginning, our condition and our future. Outside of this revelation, what can we know? We can hypothesize, does this count ? What if we hypothesize different facts?

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers? How do you answer these questions?
    Just because we don’t see ‘miracles’ happen, does not mean they are not happening. Also, I think that the ability of God to draw and convert a sinner, is a miracle in and of itself. So, each person that comes to Christ [ on his knees ] , is a genuine miracle of God.

    Where is God?

    These are just my thoughts, based on scripture & logic based on scripture.

    God is a Spirit, ( John 4 ) that lives outside of our visible reality ( unless he breaks threw and shows you something
    ( Luke 1) .

    He dwells in unapproachable ‘light’. ( 1 Tim 6 )

    He’s morally perfect, in everyway. ( Matt 5 )

    He is Uncaused and Eternal. He’s always been. ( Job 36 )

    He’s not far from each one of us, in fact, right there in front us. ( Acts 17 )

    He lives in a different dimension, [ spiritual realm ? ] and yet has total abiltiy to control and interact with this one. ( Romans 8 )

    The Apostle Paul said, “Do you not know that you are the Temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16)

    This is a New Testament revelation.

    God never intended to live in a building, we his followers, are His Temple. This was always the plan.

    So, full circle, if your a Christian, “Where is God?

    Right in you.

    As a post edit, I will add, if God is not in us, someone else is. I don’t think there is any neutral ground here.
    A cannot be A & not A at the same time.



  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    157

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Oh Dear !

    God is in everything , meaning HE created ALL we see . We see the hand of God at work all around us .

    Genesis 1
    1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

    Does that clear up what I said ?
    It does, thanks

    God "created" everything

    God is everything/God is in everything (or vice versa)

    I just wanted to make sure that I understood what you were saying, because "Christian" Pantheism (whatever that is?) is just another heresy that is floated around the various online Christian forums from time to time.

    ~Deut
    Matthew 5
    16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.


    Matthew 7
    12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.


    1 Corinthians 13
    1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

    1 Peter 3
    15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.


  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    3,956

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    I am not trying to say that I have to convince them. As you rightly say, the Holy Spirit convicts people of sin as well as convincing people their need for God.

    But that does not mean we sit back and do nothing.

    The Bible, as I said earlier, tells us to have a ready answer. And that is what I am seeking. What is the ready answer to this type of question. I see several people saying "faith" and "you have to believe" and things like that. Not really a good answer, though. Someone can say the exact same things about Mohammad, Buddhism, even Scientology. "You just have to believe my claims. Trust me." That type of answer is flatly rejected by today's society.

    This is probably why Jesus did what he did when he walked the Earth. Claiming to be Messiah with nothing to back it up really won't get you very far.

    I think we as followers maybe aren't doing a very good job with the tools Jesus gave us. And so we are left without a really good testimony. Sure, we can go with the "burning in the bosom" argument, but that is the same thing the Mormons do, and they followed that "burning in the bosom" right into following a false prophet.
    He performed many miracles in front of many people who still did not believe in Him after seeing the miracles. It always required and requires faith.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma - USA
    Posts
    263

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    He performed many miracles in front of many people who still did not believe in Him after seeing the miracles. It always required and requires faith.
    Who are we to say God stopped performing miracles. Now we have the word we do not need miracles, you say. What good is the word if everyone is interpreting it differently? When the two witnesses come forward there will be miracles again. Will the world welcome it? No, it says the world will be tormented by them. They must be bringing a different Christ than the one expected. Some will believe the signs and wonders.
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    3,956

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Who are we to say God stopped performing miracles. Now we have the word we do not need miracles, you say. What good is the word if everyone is interpreting it differently? When the two witnesses come forward there will be miracles again. Will the world welcome it? No, it says the world will be tormented by them. They must be bringing a different Christ than the one expected. Some will believe the signs and wonders.
    You totally missed my point. I was saying that miracles will not necessarily bring forth any more belief than trying to reason someone to be saved. The Gospel is the power of God to salvation... NOT a miracle , or a clever argument.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quartzsite AZ
    Posts
    55

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?

    It is a legitimate question.

    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?

    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?

    How do you answer these questions?
    Where is God as in God the Father? in Heaven correct, and where does Jesus say the Kingdom of God is?

    Luk 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
    Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.


    the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is where God is isn't it? as Jesus describes it:
    Joh 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

    Jesus being the Son of God therefore a Child of God therefore those who receive the Life of Christ experience the same.
    Let there be Light

  11. #26

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuteronomy Skaggs View Post
    I have another friend at church whose body was filled with cancer three years ago, including a golf ball tumor in his brain. He is alive and back at work today because his cancer disappeared. As for evidence, he has films that track the growth of the cancer in his brain. He also has the last two films that show no evidence of the golf ball sized brain tumor that used to exist there, that has "magically" disappeared, w/o treatment or surgery. While this is a truly wondrous occurrence, unfortunately, God becomes only one of many possibilities for the non-Christian as to why/how this "miracle" occurred.
    That would be a good answer to "Where is God?". Of course, there will always be people who will doubt no matter what. But at least this is an answer that most reasonable people will accept.

    In fact, it is an answer that even Jesus endorsed. Paraphrasing, Jesus said if you would not believe him, at least believe for the miracles.

    It would seem that even God appreciates that just claiming something isn't enough. You have to back it up.

    While I appreciate those who have chimed in and said "faith," "Holy Spirit," etc., those are good answers but not answers that most people accept because they always fall back on the "You just have to trust me" argument.

    It's true most people aren't looking for God but for a genie, and they want God to perform. "If God wants me to believe," the thought goes, "just appear in the sky." That, too, is actually a legitimate argument. With proof, faith isn't necessary. But for a lot, it isn't an honest argument because they really aren't looking for God and use it as an excuse not to believe.

    So I guess the corollary to the question is another one: Why faith? Why not just take the throne and be done with it? After all, during the Millennial Kingdom, Jesus will be on the throne ruling with "a rod of iron." Can't really deny him them when he is sitting there and you can see him.

    So why is God asking for faith when proof (by today's standards) would shut a lot of the argument down?

    Again, I will make a point that I think the Christian Church is really dropping the ball here. At least here in the United States, Barak Obama was right when he said this is not a Christian nation. So no wonder we don't see God acting here. We don't want him. (I heard that there is lot more activity from God in places like Africa where there are some real followers still.) That we would see God acting more in a way that is undeniable even from the faithless if the Church would get itself back to God, back to faith.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •