Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Where is God?

  1. #1

    Where is God?

    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?

    It is a legitimate question.

    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?

    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?

    How do you answer these questions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,887
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?

    It is a legitimate question.

    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?

    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?

    How do you answer these questions?
    These are quite some questions! We know from Scripture where God is:

    1 Tim. 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen .

    So the proper answer is the in the inaccessible (unapproachable is probably not correct English) light. The fact that Scripture is 2000 years old is not an argument, not for a believer anyway. We cannot provide proof of the existence of God, those who chose not to believe this, have a huge amount of arguments they believe to be true. It comes down to faith. For he who believes, there are even more arguments in favor of God's existence.

    This isn't very helpful I presume, but this is what it is.

    Aristarkos

  3. #3

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    We don’t throw pearls before swine
    So you would rebuff someone who is legitimately seeking? I can't imagine that as a good response. The Bible tells us to be ready to have an answer for someone who asks.

    "Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" 1 Peter 3:15b,c

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,754
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?

    It is a legitimate question.

    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?

    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?

    How do you answer these questions?
    I'll answer the question.

    Yes, Jesus did say that some signs and wonders would follow those who believed. And we see some of them in the Bible. Paul was not harmed by the snake. Etc.

    But what was the purpose of those signs? The same as the first sign by Christ at the wedding of Cana. To reveal the glory of Jesus Christ and to draw people to believe in him.

    Why don't we see those same signs and wonders today? Because the glory of Jesus Christ is found in the Bible which those new believers and leaders did not have the complete set of. Preaching, teaching, and evangelizing shares all of that from the Word.

    Why wouldn't YouTube and cameras help? Because images are easily manipulated with technology. People who did not want to believe would claim those images to be contrived and false.

    What needs to happen today is a miracle of a changed heart. That can only happen with the Holy Spirit returning God's Word back to him full of fruit and not void as God says his Word will not return void.

    Even if the sky split open and God peered through and said, "I'm here! Come to me!" Those who hate him would refuse him.
    ".....it's your nickel"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Posts
    17,053

    Re: Where is God?

    That question I can and do answer

    I don’t answer scoffers

  6. #6

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I'll answer the question.

    Yes, Jesus did say that some signs and wonders would follow those who believed. And we see some of them in the Bible. Paul was not harmed by the snake. Etc.

    But what was the purpose of those signs? The same as the first sign by Christ at the wedding of Cana. To reveal the glory of Jesus Christ and to draw people to believe in him.

    Why don't we see those same signs and wonders today? Because the glory of Jesus Christ is found in the Bible which those new believers and leaders did not have the complete set of. Preaching, teaching, and evangelizing shares all of that from the Word.
    I have to admit I have not heard that line of reasoning before. If I am reading your reply correctly, you are saying that the Bible is substituting or taking place of those signs that Jesus said would follow those who follow him.

    Can you provide a biblical reference for that kind of limitation or expiration on Jesus' statement?


    Why wouldn't YouTube and cameras help? Because images are easily manipulated with technology. People who did not want to believe would claim those images to be contrived and false.
    That is absolutely true. But people have done that since the beginning of time. "Yea, hath God said...?" Yet that didn't stop God from doing it in the first place.

    What needs to happen today is a miracle of a changed heart. That can only happen with the Holy Spirit returning God's Word back to him full of fruit and not void as God says his Word will not return void.
    True, but I don't really see Jesus taking that tact. Notice that Jesus didn't begin his ministry by preaching. He began it by performing a sign. A couple, actually. Even Jesus said to at least believe because of the miracles.

    I see no reason to see that the signs that Jesus said would follow his followers stopped at any particular point in time. Certainly there is nothing in the Bible from Jesus or Peter or any of the bible writers to indicate that.

    So I go back to the legitimacy of the question.

    After all, if I claimed to be God, would anyone accept that? Why not, if "faith" is what matters?

    Now true, when asked directly for signs, Jesus never gave any except for the sign of Jonah.

    Still, though, that was a long time ago and denied by many people. So how do you answer it today?

    Even if the sky split open and God peered through and said, "I'm here! Come to me!" Those who hate him would refuse him.
    That would be their choice, but it certainly is more concrete.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    That question I can and do answer

    I don’t answer scoffers
    That seems rather judgemental. How do you know why people are asking?

    And anyway, the premise of the OP was that it was a legitimate question.

  7. #7

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?

    It is a legitimate question.
    Hello Lighthope. It's a legitimate question, but it's not often posed where I live. I see today's society wanting less and less to do with God.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?

    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?

    How do you answer these questions?
    I would say God demands of sinners, not us of him. I would point to the scriptures, which tell us how God is found through faith in Jesus and how he changed my life.

    As far as the miracles Jesus and his disciples performed, they were necessary for their ministry. Do those miracles happen today? Probably, but like those in the 1st century making demands only heard about them, never seeing them, don't expect to see them on YouTube.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sandmountain Alabama
    Posts
    426
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    How do you answer this question that is posed more and more often by today's society?

    It is a legitimate question.

    If I said I was God, you'd demand proof.

    So how do you answer someone who asks this question of God?

    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?

    How do you answer these questions?
    First of all welcome back Lighthope 8 years is a long time gone .

    God is in everything you see ! This is his creation . Do you doubt it ?

    2600 year old scripture for you .
    Jeremiah23: 23 Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?
    24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

    I have a couple of questions for you . 1. What would you think if the presence of God came to see you in a whirlwind ?
    2. Would you call it a wonder ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,495
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Point to scripture? That is 2000 years old.
    And that's its strength at the same time. People are funny creatures, they can see miracles happen before their eyes and not believe, the Bible is full of those stories.

    In the day of YouTube and video cameras, where are the miracles that Jesus said would accompany his followers?
    Look up Todd Bentley, he makes huge claims as faith healer, even claims raising people from the death. He is a false teacher and all over youtube. Point being is, where is the attention in the (mainstream) media? There isn't. Nobody cares. Not even to expose him.

    And that (and similar examples) make me wonder why it would have been different if Jesus would have come in our days. The Youtube videos would be scrutinized, rationalized and He will be called a charlatan doing magic tricks like Houdini, David Copperfield, Hans Klok, Uri Geller etc.

    But apparently a 2000 year old book is judged less critical, funny don't you think?

    Or God's wisdom.

  10. #10

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    First of all welcome back Lighthope 8 years is a long time gone .
    Cheers. I totally forgot about this board.

    God is in everything you see ! This is his creation . Do you doubt it ?
    Lots of people do.

    Let me give you a the response of a typical non-believer:

    "So you say God is in everything you see? Show me. Where?"

    2600 year old scripture for you .
    Jeremiah23: 23 Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?
    24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
    It's not that God isn't seeing us. It is the perception that people do not see God.

    I have a couple of questions for you . 1. What would you think if the presence of God came to see you in a whirlwind ?
    2. Would you call it a wonder ?
    I would probably have the same reaction that Job did when God did it to him.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Sandmountain Alabama
    Posts
    426
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Cheers. I totally forgot about this board.



    Lots of people do.

    Let me give you a the response of a typical non-believer:

    "So you say God is in everything you see? Show me. Where?"



    It's not that God isn't seeing us. It is the perception that people do not see God.



    I would probably have the same reaction that Job did when God did it to him.

    Everything .... the design ! Link ...... http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designss.html

  12. #12

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
    Everything .... the design ! Link ...... http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designss.html
    And unfortunately I can link numerous sites which will say that the design of the universe is anything but God. As the bible says, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

    When people ask "Where is God," they are looking for the God who heals the sick, raises the dead, parts rivers, rains blood, and rises again on the third day.

    Jesus said that his followers would do what he did and more. So, where, the argument goes. Since Jesus never put an expiration date on his statement, why are we not able to point to evidence like this that God is real and not some made up fable as is claimed by today's society?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    And unfortunately I can link numerous sites which will say that the design of the universe is anything but God. As the bible says, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

    When people ask "Where is God," they are looking for the God who heals the sick, raises the dead, parts rivers, rains blood, and rises again on the third day.

    Jesus said that his followers would do what he did and more. So, where, the argument goes. Since Jesus never put an expiration date on his statement, why are we not able to point to evidence like this that God is real and not some made up fable as is claimed by today's society?
    If you think you are going to be able to reason someone into following Jesus, it's not going to happen. God has to draw their hearts. If faith in God's word, and the drawing of the Holy Spirit aren't enough to convince someone that God is real, then I seriously doubt any Youtube video , line of reasoning , scientific data, or even physical proof ( of which creation itself is ) will convince them. Remember the rich man in torment ? God told him that if he didn't listen to Moses and the prophet's that he wouldn't listen to him if he were to appear to them himself.

    Faith requires faith.

  14. #14

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    If you think you are going to be able to reason someone into following Jesus, it's not going to happen. God has to draw their hearts. If faith in God's word, and the drawing of the Holy Spirit aren't enough to convince someone that God is real, then I seriously doubt any Youtube video , line of reasoning , scientific data, or even physical proof ( of which creation itself is ) will convince them. Remember the rich man in torment ? God told him that if he didn't listen to Moses and the prophet's that he wouldn't listen to him if he were to appear to them himself.

    Faith requires faith.
    I am not trying to say that I have to convince them. As you rightly say, the Holy Spirit convicts people of sin as well as convincing people their need for God.

    But that does not mean we sit back and do nothing.

    The Bible, as I said earlier, tells us to have a ready answer. And that is what I am seeking. What is the ready answer to this type of question. I see several people saying "faith" and "you have to believe" and things like that. Not really a good answer, though. Someone can say the exact same things about Mohammad, Buddhism, even Scientology. "You just have to believe my claims. Trust me." That type of answer is flatly rejected by today's society.

    This is probably why Jesus did what he did when he walked the Earth. Claiming to be Messiah with nothing to back it up really won't get you very far.

    I think we as followers maybe aren't doing a very good job with the tools Jesus gave us. And so we are left without a really good testimony. Sure, we can go with the "burning in the bosom" argument, but that is the same thing the Mormons do, and they followed that "burning in the bosom" right into following a false prophet.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,495
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Where is God?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    When people ask "Where is God," they are looking for the God who heals the sick, raises the dead, parts rivers, rains blood, and rises again on the third day.
    There are only 2 kind of unbelievers, those who are willing believe if evidence is offered and those who will never believe. Just ask the question: when God would proof His existence to you, would you serve Him? Then watch what happens.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •