Thread: Two Swords are Enough

Two Swords are Enough

Luk 22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Adam Clarke's commentary says the following blurb about this verse:

I must here confess that the matter about the swords appear to me very obscure. I am afraid I do not understand it, and I know of none who does.

Re: Two Swords are Enough

So let's discuss why the Two Swords are Enough. Understand that Peter actually took a sword and used it after this and was rebuked by Jesus for doing so. Understand also that when Jesus spoke this to His disciples there were more in number than just two persons. So why would TWO be enough?

We have to think spiritually to understand. Let's let the Bible interpret this for us:

Eph_6:17* And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

So we can see that the Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit. But why TWO?

The very disciples that Jesus is speaking to would be His Apostles which were sent out by two's and instructed to give their Testimony by the mouth of two witnesses - or rather TWO having the WORD OF GOD (Sword of the Spirit).

But why? Because at the testimony of TWO can someone be put to death.

What many don't understand is the Word of God is a Sword that is being used to put you to death by that sword (meaning the 'old man' in you) or your old nature so that you live anew in the nature of Christ.

So there you have why TWO Swords are ENOUGH.

Blog Entries

I disagree. I appreciate Adam Clarke’s humility. Too many Christians today lack that kind of humility. We need a lot more Christians who are willing to say “I don’t know” or “I’m not sure what that means”.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

I. Howard Marshall in the New International Greek Testament Commentary regards "enough" as being 'enough of this conversation (a rebuke to discipes who again misunderstand). Context here: https://textsincontext.wordpress.com...swords-enough/
    ...now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,... and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.
    Ephesians 5

WELCOME to my homepage http://mikesnow.org/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Snow View Post
    I. Howard Marshall in the New International Greek Testament Commentary regards "enough" as being 'enough of this conversation (a rebuke to discipes who again misunderstand). Context here: https://textsincontext.wordpress.com...swords-enough/
    I think this makes more sense.

The Reformation Study Bible states, Luke 22:38 (RSB:ESV2015E): The disciples take the words about the sword literally, but Jesus’ reply means, “Enough of that sort of talk” (cf. v. 51).

Macarthur Study Bible states, Luke 22:38 (MSB): It is enough.” I.e., enough of such talk (cf. v. 51).

Leon Morris writes, Jesus’ response, It is enough, means not ‘Two will be sufficient’ but rather, ‘Enough of this kind of talk!’ He dismisses a subject in which the disciples were so hopelessly astray.

We have to read Luke in historical context. The apostles didn’t have Ephesians 6:17 or Hebrews 4:12 or Revelation 1:16 and other passages in Revelation. These weren’t written yet in 30-33 A.D.

The only possible OT quotes could be Isaiah 1:20 or 49:2. No reason to think they’d make that connection.

In addition to this, two verses earlier Jesus says sell your garment and buy a sword. Did he mean buy the Word of God? How were they to do that? Sell your garment and buy a Bible in the first century?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Another distinct possibility. One that I think most probably.

Roman law forbade Jews in occupied Palestine from carrying swords. It was a capital offense.

When they were headed for the Garden, Jesus knew that the prophecy "He was counted among the transgressors" had not been fulfilled. He knew the Romans were coming to arrest him. He knew that the boys were already strapping and packing.

His "take your purse and your bag" was so contradictory to what he told them the first time, he was pointed out to them that this time, the ending was going to be very different and that for a time they would be on their own.

When He asks them about the sword, I think Jesus was somewhat amused that Simon the Zealot (most likely) and Peter responded as they did.

"Fine, fellas, two swords are enough." Even one sword in the hands of one of his followers would have been sufficient for him to have been "counted among the transgressors."

We know this was his intention because otherwise, talking about being counted with the transgressors makes no sense in the context.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    I think this makes more sense.

The Reformation Study Bible states, Luke 22:38 (RSB:ESV2015E): The disciples take the words about the sword literally, but Jesus’ reply means, “Enough of that sort of talk” (cf. v. 51).

Macarthur Study Bible states, Luke 22:38 (MSB): It is enough.” I.e., enough of such talk (cf. v. 51).

Leon Morris writes, Jesus’ response, It is enough, means not ‘Two will be sufficient’ but rather, ‘Enough of this kind of talk!’ He dismisses a subject in which the disciples were so hopelessly astray.
    That's how it reads to me at first glance.

But one can make a case that Jesus wanted the disciples to defend themselves in order that they could escape as from the denial of Peter we know they were also in danger.

And maybe both were true.
    Last edited by ProDeo; Oct 10th 2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Another distinct possibility. One that I think most probably.

Roman law forbade Jews in occupied Palestine from carrying swords. It was a capital offense.

When they were headed for the Garden, Jesus knew that the prophecy "He was counted among the transgressors" had not been fulfilled. He knew the Romans were coming to arrest him. He knew that the boys were already strapping and packing.

His "take your purse and your bag" was so contradictory to what he told them the first time, he was pointed out to them that this time, the ending was going to be very different and that for a time they would be on their own.

When He asks them about the sword, I think Jesus was somewhat amused that Simon the Zealot (most likely) and Peter responded as they did.

"Fine, fellas, two swords are enough." Even one sword in the hands of one of his followers would have been sufficient for him to have been "counted among the transgressors."

We know this was his intention because otherwise, talking about being counted with the transgressors makes no sense in the context.
    I think you have a good argument. There is no getting around the matter by "spiritualizing" it away. The whole of Luke 22:35-38 recalls a LITERAL matter with LITERAL purse, script and shoes and a LITERAL absence of lack. So in verse 36 the sword must be literal as well. And the swords they had already with them were definitely literal because somebody lost an ear because of them in verses 49-50. The end of verse 36 is, "... let him sell his garment, and buy one (sword)", and the next verse starts with a "FOR". "FOR" or "because" joins the sentence to the previous one as a RESULT of actions. And so verse 37 relates those actions: "For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end."

Could it be that this last added provocation was needed to "end the things concerning Him"? Consider this; The crowd that came out to arrest Him had no authority. It was not a platoon of Roman soldiers. It was, in verse 52, "... the chief priests, and captains of the temple, and the elders." which were come to him. They were on very shaky ground. First, they feared the People for it was but four days before that He, Jesus, rode into Jerusalem and was hailed "King" by the people. Next, they feared Jesus. He had been able to escape them before in a miraculous way, He was obviously endowed with supernatural power, and He might, at any time, like Elijah and Elisha, suddenly turn on them and slay the lot. Next, they were carrying swords as well and could very well have brought a Roman Legion upon them. And not least of all they a bunch of false witnesses who couldn't get their lies straight, and would be exposed when they finally got before Pilate. I would venture that while our Lord sweated blood for what was about to happen to Him, his arresters at least had trembling hearts, smiting knees and loose bowels.

The matter could have gone both ways, and then something happened that tipped the odds. A follower of Jesus drew a sword in anger and inflicted a blow. Would this not be nice tit-bit for Pilate. Here is Jesus, rouser of the rabble with supposed miracles, claiming kingship on a donkey and now taking up arms against a slave of the High Priest. Could it be that our Lord Jesus said that TWO swords was "ENOUGH" - NOT to win an insurrection, but just enough to get Him named "among the transgressors". Remember, while the witnesses against Jesus, even before Pilate, were obviously contradicting each other, the actual event that subdued Pilate was a matter of him favoring a man who would contend for Caesars position in Judaea.

This would also account for the words "sell your garment to buy a sword". A "garment" in Parable is one's works (Rev.19:8, etc.), and because our Lord Jesus had been only doing good, and forcing His disciples to do the same, this sudden turnabout from proposed reconciliation to aggression would certainly be losing ones present garment. On their way to Jerusalem, just days before, the disciples wanted to call fire down on a Samaritan village and our Lord Jesus had severely rebuked them with; "But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.... " (Luke 9:55-56)

Surely Two swords was not to battle Rome. Nor was it adequate to overthrow the multitude from the Temple. It did not represent our Lord's philosophy, nor the reason why He had come to earth. It was just enough to bring Him before Pilate on a charge that caused Him to be with the two criminals who were crucified next to him, and to be a Substitute for Bar-Abbas, who, "... had made insurrection, ... who had committed murder in the insurrection" (Mk.15:7). The word "insurrection" means "taking a stand of popular dissension and uproar" (Strong's).

What think ye?
    Last edited by Walls; Oct 12th 2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added thought

Quote Originally Posted by Hewillcome2040 View Post
    Luk 22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Adam Clarke's commentary says the following blurb about this verse:

I must here confess that the matter about the swords appear to me very obscure. I am afraid I do not understand it, and I know of none who does.

The answer is probably in the words in bold:

Luk 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
    Luk 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    Luk 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

The Lord getting His disciples to assist in the fulfillment according what is written He tells them to take their purses and scrips (wallets) also showing Him they had swords to take. So He says it enough, hence sufficient for the fulfillment of what was written, as Jesus begins His journey or dissention to the heart of the earth starting with His handing Himself to the authorities of man.
    Let there be Light

Thread Information