Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,618
    Blog Entries
    13

    Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    God's awesome power continues to shine through. The Christian owners of a bakery have won an appeal at the UK’s highest court over a finding that they discriminated against a customer by refusing to make a cake decorated with the words “Support Gay Marriage”.

    Five Supreme Court justices allowed a challenge by the McArthur family in a unanimous ruling in London on Wednesday in what has become widely known as the “gay cake case”.
    The legal action was originally brought against family-run Ashers bakery in Belfast by gay rights activist Gareth Lee, who won his case initially in the county court and then at the Northern Ireland Court of Appeal.

    Announcing the court’s decision, its president, Lady Hale, said: “This conclusion is not in any way to diminish the need to protect gay people and people who support gay marriage from discrimination. “They would have refused to make such a cake for any customer, irrespective of their sexual orientation.”

    The court also said Mr. Lee had no claim against Ashers on the grounds of religious belief or political opinion. Lady Hale added: “The bakers could not refuse to supply their goods to Mr. Lee because he was a gay man or supported gay marriage, but that is quite different from obliging them to supply a cake iced with a message with which they profoundly disagreed.”

    I wish to thank every Christian who stood in the gap with prayers for these faithful Soldiers of Christ in their darkest hours of need. May the good Lord reward you abundantly.

    www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/supreme-court-victory-for-christian-bakers-in-‘gay-cake-case’/ar-BBObrgq?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Posts
    17,053

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    God's awesome power continues to shine through. The Christian owners of a bakery have won an appeal at the UK’s highest court over a finding that they discriminated against a customer by refusing to make a cake decorated with the words “Support Gay Marriage”.

    Five Supreme Court justices allowed a challenge by the McArthur family in a unanimous ruling in London on Wednesday in what has become widely known as the “gay cake case”.
    The legal action was originally brought against family-run Ashers bakery in Belfast by gay rights activist Gareth Lee, who won his case initially in the county court and then at the Northern Ireland Court of Appeal.

    Announcing the court’s decision, its president, Lady Hale, said: “This conclusion is not in any way to diminish the need to protect gay people and people who support gay marriage from discrimination. “They would have refused to make such a cake for any customer, irrespective of their sexual orientation.”

    The court also said Mr. Lee had no claim against Ashers on the grounds of religious belief or political opinion. Lady Hale added: “The bakers could not refuse to supply their goods to Mr. Lee because he was a gay man or supported gay marriage, but that is quite different from obliging them to supply a cake iced with a message with which they profoundly disagreed.”

    I wish to thank every Christian who stood in the gap with prayers for these faithful Soldiers of Christ in their darkest hours of need. May the good Lord reward you abundantly.

    www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/supreme-court-victory-for-christian-bakers-in-‘gay-cake-case’/ar-BBObrgq?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout
    This is a free speech case in the UK, not a gay rights case or religious objection case.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,618
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    This is a free speech case in the UK, not a gay rights case or religious objection case.
    What do you have against me? Why are you quick to put down everything I say?

    This is a case of a Christian family baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay man who insisted he wanted the inscription "Support Gay Marriage". The bakers refused on the ground that as Christians, they do not agree with gay marriage. The Evangelical Christian community in the UK has rallied behind the case by footing the £200k legal bill.

    The bakers lost the case from the Crown Court to Appeal court, but the Christian support and prayers never wavered. And to God be the glory, they finally won the case at the Supreme court.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Posts
    17,053

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    I don't have anything against you, and I don't shoot down everything you say.

    I was simply pointing out that this was not a religious freedom case, but a free speech case.

    The reasons the court made the decision it did are actually more important that the outcome. This is not a case that says "Great, now we can discriminate against gay people based on their sexual orientation", and Christians need to know that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    32,287
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    I don't have anything against you, and I don't shoot down everything you say.

    I was simply pointing out that this was not a religious freedom case, but a free speech case.

    The reasons the court made the decision it did are actually more important that the outcome. This is not a case that says "Great, now we can discriminate against gay people based on their sexual orientation", and Christians need to know that.
    And that is a very important distinction indeed.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,618
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    I don't have anything against you, and I don't shoot down everything you say.

    I was simply pointing out that this was not a religious freedom case, but a free speech case.

    The reasons the court made the decision it did are actually more important that the outcome. This is not a case that says "Great, now we can discriminate against gay people based on their sexual orientation", and Christians need to know that.
    I agree.
    This case was never about discrimination against gay people, but rather the celebration of Christian "right" to reject being forced to promote what they are not in support of according to faith and conscience.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Posts
    17,053

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    I agree.
    This case was never about discrimination against gay people, but rather the celebration of Christian "right" to reject being forced to promote what they are not in support of according to faith and conscience.
    OK, we are getting closer, but there is a very subtle distinction from the UK court that Christians must understand. It is extremely nuanced, and Christians that miss the nuance may end up doing things that get them in serious trouble with the law.


    The point the court raised is that this is free speech, this time, the corollary of free speech, specifically, that "You can't make someone say something that they do not want to say." The content of the speech is immaterial. Whether it is based on a religious belief or just a decision that you don't want to say something, whether you agree with it or not, for whatever reason. You just can't make people say things, even under the guise of "public accommodation".

    It has nothing to do with promotion of being forced to promote anything. Their faith and conscience are absolutely meaningless and of no important in this decision.

    It is simply that the law cannot force speech, even by coercion of law.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,618
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    OK, we are getting closer, but there is a very subtle distinction from the UK court that Christians must understand. It is extremely nuanced, and Christians that miss the nuance may end up doing things that get them in serious trouble with the law.


    The point the court raised is that this is free speech, this time, the corollary of free speech, specifically, that "You can't make someone say something that they do not want to say." The content of the speech is immaterial. Whether it is based on a religious belief or just a decision that you don't want to say something, whether you agree with it or not, for whatever reason. You just can't make people say things, even under the guise of "public accommodation".

    It has nothing to do with promotion of being forced to promote anything. Their faith and conscience are absolutely meaningless and of no important in this decision.

    It is simply that the law cannot force speech, even by coercion of law.
    Again, I take nothing away from your position which is purely based on a legal standpoint. The Christian community, however, sees it differently. The young couple, in their statement in the front of the court after the verdict, said that by asking them to put the inscription on the cake "support gay marriage" that they were being forced to promote a concept they do not support. Although not relevant, it is obvious that they were singled out because of their faith.

    In the last few years, Christian news readers, nurses and doctors who wore "Cross pendants" have been forced to either remove them or quit. This was as a result of a barrage of complaints from atheists who claimed they are offended by it. Some of these Christians challenged their employers in court and lost and subsequently lost their jobs.

    It is also noteworthy that no court can rule a case on the basis of faith - be it Christian or otherwise. So no matter how the court worded the verdict, it remains a sweet victory for the Evangelicals here who have suffered many losses from the the courts.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In His Service
    Posts
    3,141

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    It all boils down to this..

    John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

    19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.


    Jude
    If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.

    ~ Leonard Ravenhill




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Go Buckeyes
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    I don't have anything against you, and I don't shoot down everything you say.

    I was simply pointing out that this was not a religious freedom case, but a free speech case.

    The reasons the court made the decision it did are actually more important that the outcome. This is not a case that says "Great, now we can discriminate against gay people based on their sexual orientation", and Christians need to know that.
    Interesting take. I'm no lawyer, but my take was a case that says gays can't discriminate against Christians by forcing them to violate their Christian morals. I mean, it seems to me the gays were trying to exercise their freedom of speech alright by forcing Christians to say what they don't want to say. Is that what you are saying?

    Either way, the good guys won another one.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    6,618
    Blog Entries
    13

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyCall View Post
    Interesting take. I'm no lawyer, but my take was a case that says gays can't discriminate against Christians by forcing them to violate their Christian morals. I mean, it seems to me the gays were trying to exercise their freedom of speech alright by forcing Christians to say what they don't want to say. Is that what you are saying?

    Either way, the good guys won another one.
    The good guys won, hurrah!

  12. #12

    Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Thank you Jesus.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,860
    Blog Entries
    8

    Thumbsup Re: Another Christian Baker wins Supreme Court Case for holding fast to their Faith.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    It all boils down to this..

    John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

    19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.


    Jude
    This for me says it all. Ultimately, the MacArthurs were being challenged to reject God’s ways and agree with the ways of the world. They stayed faithful and God gave them the victory!
    Yes, sadly some Christians will think it gives them the right to discriminate against homosexuals. Others, however, will learn from and be encouraged by this ruling.

    Here is Daniel McArthur giving a press statement following the decision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB71FTaXCDY
    Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Rm 8:35-39

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 198
    Last Post: Oct 10th 2018, 04:10 PM
  2. NORTHERN IRELAND, UK: Asher's Bakery Case before UK Supreme Court
    By doug3 in forum Prayer for the Persecuted Church
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 1st 2018, 03:54 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 4th 2013, 07:54 AM
  4. UK: Christian Guesthouse Owners Win Right to UK Supreme Court Appeal
    By doug3 in forum Prayer for the Persecuted Church
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug 16th 2012, 08:15 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 11th 2011, 08:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •