Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do we know we have the Holy Spirit?

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

Re: How do we know we have the Holy Spirit?

Didn’t say cultural expressions are wrong, just that they are (a) learned and (b) of no intrinsic spiritual importance

Our cultural constructs become shorthand for spiritually meaningful actions but we have to be careful to avoid means/ends juxtaposition

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Which leads me back to... are marriages and funerals in church, religiousness to you?

Also... you are adding your words, to make your post brilliant (who mentioned sacrificing animals?)
    why are you asking me to repeat myself?

"LOL, what church doctrine is wrongly associated with these like baptism/infants?"

And no, I didn't add anything, the passage says animal sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    There's your problem, right there.
    Like Slug1 said, you are actually dedicating yourself to the work, not your child to God.
    Don't misconstrue what *I mean* by dedicating my child to a Christian family and upbringing! I'm not making decisions for the child to receive Christ. Rather, I'm choosing to bring her to church, tell her Bible stories, and be a good example of a Christian family.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb
    I understand you don't like being corrected. The word is not offensive. That's ridiculous.
    You talked about dedicating infants and I commented on that alone.
    If you can't understand what we are talking about how can you understand the law/prophets/Jesus?
    Again, I was comparing the difference between Adult Baptism and a child's Dedication Service to show that we're not talking about a child making choices, which is what an Adult Baptism would be. I'm talking about what we, as Christian parents, promise God to do for the children to raise them under a Christian example.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb
    I didn't say he did I said they agreed.
    You mentioned something about not making promises. If I misunderstood, please explain?

Jesus lived under the Law of Moses. He sanctioned the use of votive offerings and vows. He opposed only rash promises.

It is not a rash promise to dedicate ourselves to being good Christian examples to our children. We are not making choices for the child. We are simply dedicating ourselves as Christian parents.

This is what it means to dedicate our child to Christ. That is, for me, an Infant Baptism. Since the child is raised up in Christianity there is no conversion from paganism to Christianity. There is no conversion from Judaism to Christianity. There is only dedicating the child to grow up in the Christian home that presently exists.

That's what I had as a child. I was baptized as an infant. My parents raised me in Christianity. I went to church nearly every week of my life. That is a Child Dedication service, as far as I'm concerned. This is just my opinion, brother.

I can promise you that the church that practiced infant baptism does think of it as 0just a baby dedication”’in their official doctrine and liturgy

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Didn’t say cultural expressions are wrong, just that they are (a) learned and (b) of no intrinsic spiritual importance

Our cultural constructs become shorthand for spiritually meaningful actions but we have to be careful to avoid means/ends juxtaposition
    Seems that "shaking up or one night stands" are more about culture. While a marriage remains under God's providence and as people to God, we should hold up God's providence and not call marriage, cultural.

There is great "spiritual" importance in marriage.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Seems that "shaking up or one night stands" are more about culture. While a marriage remains under God's providence and as people to God, we should hold up God's providence and not call marriage, cultural.

There is great "spiritual" importance in marriage.
    Marriage , yes

A cultural expression is not important

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Marriage , yes

A cultural expression is not important
    If you're meaning the "elaborateness" of ceremony, ok... understand.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by it'sclaudia View Post
    According to 1 Corinthians 12:3, it says that " that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost."
    This probably means that ALL professing christians who truly believe in the Lord do have the Holy Spirit, right?

Galatians 5:22-23 says that "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 [a]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Is it possible for a christian, to have the Holy spirit, and not feel either one or more of the fruits shown in Galatians?

Furthermore, Peter said to"Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit", which brings me to the question of whether or not baptism in water is essential for receiving the Holy Spirit since scripture does say that the moment you believe, you've already received the Holy Spirit, so is baptism in water necessary for receiving the Holy Spirit again? (Or have I misinterpreted this verse)

So how exactly do we know if we have the Holy Spirit? This question has been on my mind for a good few days, and I was wondering what you guys think about it.
    Baptism by water unto repentance had been going on in Israel way back in the BCs, and as you may notice it’s no baptism of Sprit and Fire that only the Presence of God can do, or as John said:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Therefore, there is no automatic Holy Spirit in baptism by water.

Born of the Holy Spirit is as taught by Jesus in the gospel according to John chap. 3. Which technically doesn’t require baptism by water but does require repentance, as many born again have experienced in today’s cultures.

The Lord is Faithful to the faithful in all circumstances. If you notice in the gospels Jesus looks for belief and trust in Him. And responds to it faithfully. By Grace through Faith is the salvation. And the salvation requires that one receive the Life of Christ which is the Holy Spirit, how does He say it? It is the Spirit that quickeneth. Not the water. The water won’t raise you from the dead it is the Spirit the Holy Spirit that the grave can’t hold. What is of Heaven remains in Heaven what is of earth remains in the earth.

As far as declaring Jesus as Lord, one should consider the context, this was after Peter witness things like devils acknowledging Jesus as Son of God. Hence Lord over all. But what Peter is saying in the verse mentioned is one can’t declare Jesus as their Lord without the Spirit. “Jesus is Lord “ is one thing and “Jesus is my Lord and Savior” is another.
    Let there be Light

Quote Originally Posted by DPMartin View Post
    Baptism by water unto repentance had been going on in Israel way back in the BCs, and as you may notice it’s no baptism of Sprit and Fire that only the Presence of God can do, or as John said:

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Therefore, there is no automatic Holy Spirit in baptism by water.

Born of the Holy Spirit is as taught by Jesus in the gospel according to John chap. 3. Which technically doesn’t require baptism by water but does require repentance, as many born again have experienced in today’s cultures.

The Lord is Faithful to the faithful in all circumstances. If you notice in the gospels Jesus looks for belief and trust in Him. And responds to it faithfully. By Grace through Faith is the salvation. And the salvation requires that one receive the Life of Christ which is the Holy Spirit, how does He say it? It is the Spirit that quickeneth. Not the water. The water won’t raise you from the dead it is the Spirit the Holy Spirit that the grave can’t hold. What is of Heaven remains in Heaven what is of earth remains in the earth.

As far as declaring Jesus as Lord, one should consider the context, this was after Peter witness things like devils acknowledging Jesus as Son of God. Hence Lord over all. But what Peter is saying in the verse mentioned is one can’t declare Jesus as their Lord without the Spirit. “Jesus is Lord “ is one thing and “Jesus is my Lord and Savior” is another.
    I can sign on with this! Thanks.

Thread Information