Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do we know we have the Holy Spirit?

How do we know we have the Holy Spirit?

According to 1 Corinthians 12:3, it says that " that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost."
    This probably means that ALL professing christians who truly believe in the Lord do have the Holy Spirit, right?

Galatians 5:22-23 says that "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 [a]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Is it possible for a christian, to have the Holy spirit, and not feel either one or more of the fruits shown in Galatians?

Furthermore, Peter said to"Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit", which brings me to the question of whether or not baptism in water is essential for receiving the Holy Spirit since scripture does say that the moment you believe, you've already received the Holy Spirit, so is baptism in water necessary for receiving the Holy Spirit again? (Or have I misinterpreted this verse)

So how exactly do we know if we have the Holy Spirit? This question has been on my mind for a good few days, and I was wondering what you guys think about it.

Blog Entries

Re: How do we know we have the Holy Spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by it'sclaudia View Post
    According to 1 Corinthians 12:3, it says that " that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost."
    This probably means that ALL professing christians who truly believe in the Lord do have the Holy Spirit, right?

Galatians 5:22-23 says that "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 [a]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Is it possible for a christian, to have the Holy spirit, and not feel either one or more of the fruits shown in Galatians?

Furthermore, Peter said to"Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit", which brings me to the question of whether or not baptism in water is essential for receiving the Holy Spirit since scripture does say that the moment you believe, you've already received the Holy Spirit, so is baptism in water necessary for receiving the Holy Spirit again? (Or have I misinterpreted this verse)

So how exactly do we know if we have the Holy Spirit? This question has been on my mind for a good few days, and I was wondering what you guys think about it.
    Hi, its me again.
    I have been trying to determine that same thing, I have read the bible again and again, I have even read the Gnostic books that were removed by Constantine and the Roman church and even to this day they won't accept them.
    Who is saved, people on here say I'm saved,im saved are they or do they just think that.
    I don't think it's a case of if you believe you are saved as the vicar and pastors tell you, I think it's when we start to do the will of God with the knowledge of Jesus who tells us as straight as he can what we should do and think.
    I have had the holy spirit put in me and I can tell you it's an amazing experience, the peace, the love,the joy I felt was just great.
    But I did exactly what the bible says, I walk around with my house swept clean but didn't know what to do and over time fell back into my old ways bringing Severn more demons back that were worse than those that God had removed.
    I became very ill mentally over time but would not call on God again because I knew that the chances are I would just do the same mistake again.
    So I read and meditated on what Jesus tells us and after he showed me what I was on the inside how wretched a creature I truly was I repented and stopped doing and thinking of the sin full acts.
    And over time my mind is improved, each day it felt like a cell was being put back to where it should be, like a renewing of the mind, an understanding I did not get the first time.
    This time I know what Jesus says and what he means.
    Yet I'm a million miles away from getting that feeling of the holy spirit back, and I think it's only possible when we find the treasure inside.
    But with patients and perseverance and meditating on what Jesus means I think I might just get there, but am I saved many say I am because I believe well to me it's more than a belief it's an understanding that comes from the bible.
    I might have fixed my mind myself by thinking the right thoughts but it's something else that's working in me.
    Try reading practical discourses by John Scott, it's a free book you can get on the internet it's really old English writhing but I think it gives a good insight into what we are and what we think we are.

Blog Entries

It's the repenting that's the key.
    It's the first acknowledgement to God that you know you have sinned understand you have sinned and then made every effort to stop doing or thinking of them.
    When we become a slave to sin we don't think it's a sin more of just the way we are and many sin in this world with an understanding that it's not a sin because the rest of the people or the world accepts that it's not a real sin, how can just thinking about sex be wrong when everybody does it.
    Because it is wrong,
    An heroine addict needs his fix because the effect he gets he likes, but he is always looking for his next fix until he either realizes he is going to die and stops or overdoses.
    The same goes for sin, the person wants the same hit and keeps thinking how can he get it, in other words your mind wants the fix so bad that everything in there gets destroyed leaving that person in a terrible state of mind.
    Heroin is a monster that needs to be fed, the same is sin it's a monster that needs you to feed it, this is what Jesus talks about that lust , greed ,envy, anger eye,etc these destroy the mind and brings that person to the grave early..
    Do not lie and I have heard many vicar and pastors saying it's ok to lie because we can't help it, yes you can help it just don't do it.
    If your chasing money because you think that it will give you a better life, it won't.
    We are such a strange being that finds pleasure in the wrong places.
    Jesus says fix yourself first and then you will know what you really want

Hi Marlin ! Nice to hear from you again. I agree that all of us are to conform and follow God's will for us because if we do not obey His will, we will not be able to enter into heaven. I believe repentance is important as well. It's salvation from Jesus that gets us saved, but I believe repentance works hand in hand too. I'm still trying to comprehend the relationship between faith, salvation and repentance.

I'm still confused about how we will know we have the Holy Spirit though. Can you have the holy spirit if you are a depressed Christian? Or a Christian who just does not feel the peace in his or her life?

Also, you're right in saying we should not lie. Any pastor who says that we can lie is false in my opinion. I'm sorry to hear about the things you had to go through, but I'm happy that the Lord has shown you your ways and that you repented. I'll search up about John Scott too !

Blog Entries

Hi Marlin ! Nice to hear from you again. I agree that all of us are to conform and follow God's will for us because if we do not obey His will, we will not be able to enter into heaven. I believe repentance is important as well. It's salvation from Jesus that gets us saved, but I believe repentance works hand in hand too. I'm still trying to comprehend the relationship between faith, salvation and repentance.

I'm still confused about how we will know we have the Holy Spirit though. Can you have the holy spirit if you are a depressed Christian? Or a Christian who just does not feel the peace in his or her life?

Also, you're right in saying we should not lie. Any pastor who says that we can lie is false in my opinion. I'm sorry to hear about the things you had to go through, but I'm happy that the Lord has shown you your ways and that you repented. I'll search up about John Scott too !
    Faith is be living God and what Jesus says.
    Salvation is your reward for following the rules.
    And as I said repentance is the first step.
    Depression is a feeling, like worry and fear and envy etc.
    It's when the mind thinks what's going on, and can't seem to figure it out.
    Why am I feeling depressed, and so your mind takes you on a journey is it because of this or is it because of that , the problem is you don't know. It's a feeling and we get stuck in a never ending struggle with it.
    I wished that they would take my brain out and wash it I mean you can't put s plaster on it like it's been cut.
    But I have come to understand that the brain is just a brain, but the mind is totally different.
    If we think a certain way say we worry about our hearts beating fast or abnormally it makes the brain change the way it supposed to work and then maybe sends us into a panic attack.
    Jesus tells us not to worry, the amount of times I have said this over the year has been a lot.
    There is nothing to worry about it's what humans do, sometimes I would worry about the fact I wasn't worrying, how stupid now.
    If your feeling low it's just a feeling stop the feeling with understanding and meditating on what Jesus wants you to do.
    Life for a girl or woman in this time is hard when you see that you are only accepted if you look nice wear nice cloths etc
    These are the things of this world not the world that God wants for you, do not be a part of it
    Give no thought to what they do but give thought to what God and Jesus want you to do.
    If you follow fashion for the world's sake don't.
    If you have to make yourself up with make up for the sake of the world that's your choice but jesus says be apart from this system of things.
    Many will disagree with me here. The idea that Jesus wants to accept is that the world is wrong and he is right.
    Why do you worry
    Why do you fear
    Why give thought to what you will eat or wear
    Do not think about tomorrow
    Meditate on these sayings and you will see that there is no need to worry, if worrying is a problem according to Jesus then all you are feeling is a depression a feeling that once you come to understand is just a feeling and can be defeated with the right thoughts then it will have no hold on you.
    I lived in fear and worry all my life but believed Jesus and let God worry about what ever I thought in other words to belive that God will not hurt you and will keep you safe, as long as your not putting yourself back in the same situation you are always in.
    A young mind will find it hard to grasp the concept but keep meditating and you should get help from the holy spirit, you may not feel it working in you but I bet it is.
    It's a long path and it's not a race, if you think it's a race to get to salvation then your wrong we only learn by making and fixing the mistakes we make in life But if you stay true to the commandment you should not go far wrong.
    But yes check out the book I had another 1uick look at it myself and it's still very enlightening, get through the first chapter and your mind starts to get what's being emplyied

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin633 View Post
    Faith is be living God and what Jesus says.
    Salvation is your reward for following the rules.
    And as I said repentance is the first step.
    Depression is a feeling, like worry and fear and envy etc.
    It's when the mind thinks what's going on, and can't seem to figure it out.
    Why am I feeling depressed, and so your mind takes you on a journey is it because of this or is it because of that , the problem is you don't know. It's a feeling and we get stuck in a never ending struggle with it.
    I wished that they would take my brain out and wash it I mean you can't put s plaster on it like it's been cut.
    But I have come to understand that the brain is just a brain, but the mind is totally different.
    If we think a certain way say we worry about our hearts beating fast or abnormally it makes the brain change the way it supposed to work and then maybe sends us into a panic attack.
    Jesus tells us not to worry, the amount of times I have said this over the year has been a lot.
    There is nothing to worry about it's what humans do, sometimes I would worry about the fact I wasn't worrying, how stupid now.
    If your feeling low it's just a feeling stop the feeling with understanding and meditating on what Jesus wants you to do.
    Life for a girl or woman in this time is hard when you see that you are only accepted if you look nice wear nice cloths etc
    These are the things of this world not the world that God wants for you, do not be a part of it
    Give no thought to what they do but give thought to what God and Jesus want you to do.
    If you follow fashion for the world's sake don't.
    If you have to make yourself up with make up for the sake of the world that's your choice but jesus says be apart from this system of things.
    Many will disagree with me here. The idea that Jesus wants to accept is that the world is wrong and he is right.
    Why do you worry
    Why do you fear
    Why give thought to what you will eat or wear
    Do not think about tomorrow
    Meditate on these sayings and you will see that there is no need to worry, if worrying is a problem according to Jesus then all you are feeling is a depression a feeling that once you come to understand is just a feeling and can be defeated with the right thoughts then it will have no hold on you.
    I lived in fear and worry all my life but believed Jesus and let God worry about what ever I thought in other words to belive that God will not hurt you and will keep you safe, as long as your not putting yourself back in the same situation you are always in.
    A young mind will find it hard to grasp the concept but keep meditating and you should get help from the holy spirit, you may not feel it working in you but I bet it is.
    It's a long path and it's not a race, if you think it's a race to get to salvation then your wrong we only learn by making and fixing the mistakes we make in life But if you stay true to the commandment you should not go far wrong.
    But yes check out the book I had another 1uick look at it myself and it's still very enlightening, get through the first chapter and your mind starts to get what's being emplyied
    This might sound bad as well.
    Forget about heaven, it's more important to do the will of God, to understand who and what we are.
    There is no guarantee that any of us will make it there only by doing our best.
    Don't worry if you don't think your not doing your best just try and do it, like most things the more we try to live as Jesus tells us the easyer it will get.
    It's taken me a long time to get to where I am now mentally, but as my wife says patients is a virtue.
    We can be so impatient sometimes, we want a quick fix, but God does not work that way he wants you to understand the path that you are on and for you to gain knowledge by following it

That is an excellent question! My perspective is as a regular church-going Lutheran from birth, and convert to Penetecostalism after 16 years old. My Lutheran experience adopted the creed, "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." We perfunctorily confessed our doctrines every Sunday--I did this for 16 years. But just saying the words, and believing them, does not imply a full or proper understanding.

I would assume that people do know what the Trinity means, and when confessing it actually believe it. But understanding something in a full spiritual sense is, in my experience, different. I was told by evangelicals outside of my denomination that there is an "abundant life." I was told by Pentecostals that there is a "Baptism of the Holy Spirit." And quite frankly, I later saw that Apollos had to have the "way of God explained more fully."

I found myself, as an adolescent, drifting far afield of my upbringing, and became disgusted with myself. I didn't seem to know how I ended up where I did, breaking the Commandments, and losing my former good reputation? When I determined to give all of my worldly engagements up, which I knew to be sin, I discovered the verse, "I give my Spirit to those who obey Me," and I felt a strong, confirming sense of the Holy Spirit. I realized that being "filled with the Spirit" is a combination of obedience to God and a replacement of our will with God's guiding Spirit.

We cannot imitate the Holy Spirit. God must fill our lives as we dispose of our own independent attitude, and allow God to vet everything we do, whether it be sin or not. Living in Christ, then, is a choice to be filled with the Spirit. As a Christian growing up I didn't fully understand that until I learned that God wanted all of my life, and wanted me to give up all of my sins. We don't have to be perfect to invite the Lord to control our lives. We just need to understand that's what He wants.

Note: I'll let others speak on the "fruit" of the Holy Spirit.

I guess I will weigh in here on more of this. "Faith" is the recognition that our walk with the Lord is righteousness, and is acceptable to Him for eternal salvation. Thus, we bear the "fruit of the Holy Spirit," which is the actual manifestation of Christ's life. Christ is kind and gentle. Thus, as we confess Him as Lord and Source we bear the fruit of his kindness and gentleness. This assures us of our salvation.

But by "faith" we are able to operate in this spiritual life without getting hung up on our failures. We *cannot* escape our sin nature even as we produce righteousness. Everything we do is tainted. It is not our job to be sinless and perfect. Rather, it is our job to be *righteous,* and accept, by "faith," that God forgives and purifies us, even as we press forward to be righteous.

Blog Entries

These are great questions!

So first I would just point out that Jesus (God) and the Holy Spirit (God) are not at odds with each other (see 1 John 5:7). It's not as if you please Christ and the Father by your faith, but only the Holy Spirit through your works. I'm sure you are familiar with Ephesians 2:18?

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God!

And Ephesians 1:13... In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

And Galatians 3:14... He redeemed us in order that the blessing promised to Abraham would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

You should never be concerned that the Spirit of God is not with you, or that you must achieve His promises after having believed the gospel of salvation. You are right to quote 1 Corinthians 12, that no one can confess Jesus except by the Spirit. The conviction of sins which leads to confession/repentance comes in this way. So how can you confess Christ and yet not have His spirit?

It's also a good idea to look at the fruits of the spirit to examine yourself. But hopefully with the verses above, you can see that these fruits should be used a evidence that you believe the gospel - not only whether you are sealed with the Holy Spirit. The message of Galatians really as a whole is this:

For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love ... For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (5:5-6)

So when Paul "lists" the fruits of the Spirit later, what he is really doing is giving examples of one fruit which is love; and love manifests itself in multiple ways. As to your question specifically, yes a Christian can sometimes feel as though she is not any of these things. But your battle with it, to be joyful and patient and gentle with others, and obey Christ in this way, is itself evidence of your faith and regeneration.

I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:24)

Maybe put a little more bluntly: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? After starting in the Spirit, are you now finishing in the flesh? (Galatians 3:3)

Now here's a topic which is partly responsible for the dozens of Christian denominations in the world.

I believe baptism is a symbol of your faith/belief. It is not a work which earns you the Spirit - using the reasons I've given already. Paul says it most plainly here:

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1)

And here is an example from the disciples in Ephesus:

And [Paul] said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?” They said, "Into John's baptism." And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. (Acts 19)

Here is a case where the Holy Spirit's condition was believing in Jesus, not the ritual of baptism. In verse 9 it says, "But some became stubborn and continued in unbelief." Therefore, belief was the focal point of their salvation - not baptism. This is why Paul emphasized preaching the gospel over baptizing people.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to more of your posts.
    여러분은 주님 안에서 항상 기뻐하십시오. 내가 다시 말합니다. 기뻐하십시오.
    모든 사람을 너그럽게 대하십시오. 주님께서 오실 날이 가까웠습니다. Philippians 4

Blog Entries

Paul says it pretty clearly:

Romans 8:16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to interpret that simple statement. It is what it is.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

@randyk Thank you for your input! I agree with what you say. Just discovered that that verse is from Acts 5:32. It does make sense that God will only give those who obey Him the Holy Spirit since obedience is something all christians should strive towards. We are indeer clothed in Christ's righteousness once we believe

@aviyah

Wow ! Thank you for the really detailed reply, especially how you individually address my questions. It does clear up my doubts. It's amazing to see how the verses all come together. Thank you so much for replying, it really does help me better understand what the scripture says about the Holy Spirit and how it is indeed by your faith that you receive the Spirit.

@keck553
    Thank you for the verse ! My concern was regarding how we would be certain we have the Holy Spirit in the first place to testify if we are indeed God's children but I think I've gotten it cleared up

I'd also like to address the biblical reference to the *importance* of water baptism. In my view it has already been shown that salvation does *not* consist of water baptism. It only serves the purpose of salvation, and as such, is shown to be part of the regular walk in salvation. After all, an initiation ceremony is the beginning of our walk, and we must begin somewhere. However, many of us were raised in Christian homes, and were baptized as infants--this is my case.

So water baptism is being used as a synonym for repentance, which *is* a necessary part of salvation. How can you accept Christ if you don't first denounce yourself and your own sinfulness? So, repentance is essential in the process of salvation. And water baptism is just the ceremonial representation of this.

The tradition itself is less important than what it means, which is the initiation of our life into salvation through repentance. Water Baptism was the traditional initiation ceremony for Christians. What really matters is that we somehow display our intention to be purified by the life of Christ through the abandonment of our sinful lifestyle. We choose to henceforth be "led by the Spirit."

Clearly, receiving the Holy Spirit is not part of Water Baptism, though it certainly may seem like it. Young Christians, or baby Christians, are initiated into Christianity, and thus become more aware of the Holy Spriit with every step they take, including Water Baptism. But typically, you would not take Water Baptism until *after* you receive salvation, which is when you *should* receive the Holy Spirit as well.

Again, becoming a Christian does not always indicate a full knowledge of Christianity, nor a full recognition of the Holy Spirit. This was my case. I was a Lutheran for the 1st 16 years of my life before I realized how real the Holy Spirit could be, and how He wants to guide us every minute of every day. It is indeed a knowledge we need to have, even before Water Baptism!

So how exactly do we know if we have the Holy Spirit?
    If you overcome sin by believing the gospel you have the Spirit. Simple.

Thread Information