Thread: Is this real?

Blog Entries

Is this real?

I might have said at one time, yeah--not so sure today. Asking for take on Spurgeon's meditation of God's Word this evening:

"And I will deliver thee out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee out of the hand of the terrible."—Jeremiah 15:21.
    OTE the glorious personality of the promise. I will, I will. The Lord Jehovah Himself interposes to deliver and redeem His people. He pledges Himself personally to rescue them. His own arm shall do it, that He may have the glory. Here is not a word said of any effort of our own which may be needed to assist the Lord. Neither our strength nor our weakness is taken into the account, but the lone I, like the sun in the heavens, shines out resplendent in all-sufficience. Why then do we calculate our forces, and consult with flesh and blood to our grievous wounding? Jehovah has power enough without borrowing from our puny arm. Peace, ye unbelieving thoughts, be still, and know that the Lord reigneth. Nor is there a hint concerning secondary means and causes. The Lord says nothing of friends and helpers: He undertakes the work alone, and feels no need of human arms to aid Him. Vain are all our lookings around to companions and relatives; they are broken reeds if we lean upon them—often unwilling when able, and unable when they are willing. Since the promise comes alone from God, it would be well to wait only upon Him; and when we do so, our expectation never fails us. Who are the wicked that we should fear them? The Lord will utterly consume them; they are to be pitied rather than feared. As for terrible ones, they are only terrors to those who have no God to fly to, for when the Lord is on our side, whom shall we fear? If we run into sin to please the wicked, we have cause to be alarmed, but if we hold fast our integrity, the rage of tyrants shall be overruled for our good. When the fish swallowed Jonah, he found him a morsel which he could not digest; and when the world devours the church, it is glad to be rid of it again. In all times of fiery trial, in patience let us possess our souls.
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

1 Corinthians 1:30

Re: Is this real?

It's very good!

"And I will deliver thee out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee out of the hand of the terrible."—Jeremiah 15:21.

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness Col.1:13

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity Tit.2:14

Blog Entries

I have always been encouraged by Spurgeon. I just don't believe that the context is correct here. These were specific words to Jeremiah. It is easy to hope in one sentence, as if God spoke it to you or me audibly, but looking at the overall, I do not see a connection to anyone here now.
    Hoping in God, yes, being delivered from specifics of evil because I believe in Christ, yes of course. But being delivered from evil in context of Jeremiah--not so sure. I mean, we move and do and we pray and as people we do help one another..acting in faith because we are a body now.
    Reaching out and using what God has given us is right, IMO. This meditation seems to say hey--
    Don't do anything. I will take care of everything. The truth is unless God audibly says, Hey Scooby! I've got this, I need to practice what He teaches me in His word and stop wishing on some magical ending because He told Jeremiah something about his situation at some point.
    Peace to you!

It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

I agree with you Scooby. But I think he was using that in general terms considering the final thought. The world is trying to devour the Church and it will suffer the consequences when the Lord judges. At least that's how I received it.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

How I understand it is, God sends Jeremiah to preach a message and says he will protect him. I don't know how Jeremiahs earthly life ended. Some hold to a tradition that he was stoned to death in Egypt by people who didn't like his message. I don't know if that's true, but Jesus did say the prophets were persecuted (Mt.23:31).

I think it's the same as when Jesus told the apostles,

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Lk.10:19

Traditionally, many of the apostles were executed. From a strictly human point of view, or how we normally think of harm, Jesus's claim that his followers wouldn't be hurt isn't true. The only way his words make sense is if he means their spirits wouldn't be harmed. (Only my belief)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saved7 View Post
    I agree with you Scooby. But I think he was using that in general terms considering the final thought. The world is trying to devour the Church and it will suffer the consequences when the Lord judges. At least that's how I received it.
    A part of me believes I am second guessing the manner that God has spoken to me since I believed. I "feel" my spirit resonates with C. Spurgoen, as other pastors over these years I easily hear him, and others not so much.

I can only give an example.

I have had some difficult times, recently it does not get easier over time, more difficult-- I don't like this, I want things to be easier.
    I think you might agree.

I found a bronzed coin, while cleaning that belonged to someone at one time but not me-- no one recognized it I asked, so I took it as God's encouragement to me although I am not easily encouraged these days- On one side an eagle 3 dimensional, on the other Isaiah 40:31

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Pretty common verse, pretty uncommon find--- I have been impatient, afraid and hard pressed so much lately.

I may be so weak in my faith at this point that I cannot hear when He speaks to me in ways that I always heard, so much so that I have to detail it and cover it with logic...put a blessing into context.

When I originally read what Charles had to say regarding the scripture and my O.P. I pushed it aside, I rarely read Him anymore. I dismantled..the whole idea that God could just give me encouragement even though it wasn't in context.

I am having a second thought, or quite possibly a hope that is tolerable.
    Peace to you!

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Oh sweet sister...I totally get Where you're at right now. Hang onto that coin...as a promise. It might not happen how or when you think it should, but by His Spirit, you will be renewed. Just keep pressing into him. And when you feel you don't have it in you to press into him, tell him so. Believe me, he's got you FIRMLY in his hands and no one can pluck you out...no, not even you can do it. The Lord is doing a marvelous work in the church right now. Though it is a painful and slow process, you are being refined to reflect his glory and walk in a peace you've never had before.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saved7 View Post
    Oh sweet sister...I totally get Where you're at right now. Hang onto that coin...as a promise. It might not happen how or when you think it should, but by His Spirit, you will be renewed. Just keep pressing into him. And when you feel you don't have it in you to press into him, tell him so. Believe me, he's got you FIRMLY in his hands and no one can pluck you out...no, not even you can do it. The Lord is doing a marvelous work in the church right now. Though it is a painful and slow process, you are being refined to reflect his glory and walk in a peace you've never had before.
    Thank you for understanding and I also need to just be honest:
    It has been over ten years since I first felt hope over that scripture. I understand for God it has been minutes, but for me..

The last verse of Torn: Natalie Imbruglia

I'm all out of faith
    This is how I feel, I'm cold and I'm ashamed
    Bound and broken on the floor
    You're a little late
    I'm already torn
    Torn
    Torn

So those are my FEELINGS--
    I know God loves me (but yet I feel cold and ashamed, is my life just a game)
    My faith in what I understand about Him might be weak today--
    I live here, on earth and I want to be able to touch and realize His Promises in the here and now, not after I die as a human.
    Peace to you!

Thread Information