Thread: Phil 2:3-4

Phil 2:3-4

Philippians 2:3-4

KJV 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

MKJV 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves. 4 Do not let each man look upon his own things, but each man also on the things of others.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

3 We should act thru love and humility, our flesh often wants to act by strife and self glory seeking. We should bring others up by the words of Christ.

4 We should not to brag on ourselves but brag on the Lord and encourage others and by doing this it will make a difference by God leading us and He will lead people to encourage us when we need it.
    Live the Halleluyah life

Re: Phil 2:3-4

Quote Originally Posted by clarkthompson View Post
    Philippians 2:3-4

KJV 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

MKJV 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves. 4 Do not let each man look upon his own things, but each man also on the things of others.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

3 We should act thru love and humility, our flesh often wants to act by strife and self glory seeking. We should bring others up by the words of Christ.

4 We should not to brag on ourselves but brag on the Lord and encourage others and by doing this it will make a difference by God leading us and He will lead people to encourage us when we need it.
    Philippians 2 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible and it is loaded with information especially the first part. At Philippians 2:5-8 is teaches that Jesus Christ is God. Another important teaching is at vs12, "So then my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling."

If you read the above contex starting at vs1 the Apostle Paul is "NOT" saying to work out your salvation in order to be saved. Paul is telling them like at vs2, that they should be of the same mind, maintaing the same love and one in purpose. Vs3, Don't be selfish and regard others as more important as yourselves. (This is love in action). Vs4, don't look out for you own personal interest. Then starting at vs5 Paul uses Jesus Christ as the supreme example of the attitude we should have etc.

So, when we get to vs12 the Apostle is telling them to work out the "solution" or the "deliverance" of their problems of being self-centered, thinking only of themselves and their personal interest. At vs12 it starts out with the word, "for" Or because it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Vs14, Paul continues to admonishing them to do all things without "grumbling or disputing. Remember, the Philippians are already believers. Anyway, that's how I see it.

IN GOD THE SON,
    maverick

True praise of the Lord is bragging on Him. Not singing “praise the Lord” repeatedly. Even when David would say praise the Lord, David goes into what the Lord is to him or done for him so on and so forth.
    A grandparent brags on his grandson who is achieving things he finds admirable, to anyone who listens. hence praises his grandson to others.

Also, men compete for everything like dogs competing for position in the pack. If one honors that, then one is a part of the same system. To compete one must dominate the other, of which the Lord doesn’t see is appropriate in His ministry. Jesus Christ who is the Master of all, walked without position, possessions, and place, in the world, and its all His to begin with. Its not a position of wimpiness or our view of what meekness means, it’s a position of what is valued, and the stand in the face of those who value otherwise that have the authorities in the system of the dog pack.
    Let there be Light

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Philippians 2 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible and it is loaded with information especially the first part. At Philippians 2:5-8 is teaches that Jesus Christ is God. Another important teaching is at vs12, "So then my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling."

If you read the above contex starting at vs1 the Apostle Paul is "NOT" saying to work out your salvation in order to be saved. Paul is telling them like at vs2, that they should be of the same mind, maintaing the same love and one in purpose. Vs3, Don't be selfish and regard others as more important as yourselves. (This is love in action). Vs4, don't look out for you own personal interest. Then starting at vs5 Paul uses Jesus Christ as the supreme example of the attitude we should have etc.

So, when we get to vs12 the Apostle is telling them to work out the "solution" or the "deliverance" of their problems of being self-centered, thinking only of themselves and their personal interest. At vs12 it starts out with the word, "for" Or because it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Vs14, Paul continues to admonishing them to do all things without "grumbling or disputing. Remember, the Philippians are already believers. Anyway, that's how I see it.

IN GOD THE SON,
    maverick
    The grammar of verse 12 cannot be avoided. There is a direct command to "WORK", The "WORK" is by the believer. It is his/her "OWN" salvation". And finally the "WORKING OUT" of one's OWN salvation is not by love but "FEAR and TREMBLING". But there is no conflict with other scriptures which say that salvation is by FAITH. Before I post the whole text - Philippians 2:1-16, let me address "SALVATION".

In contemporary Christianity we suffer from the so-called "dark-ages". For over 1,000 years the Roman Church locked away the Bible, forbade the Laity to study it, and subjected us to their Pagan Doctrines that were turned just enough to look like they came from the Bible. What they did not teach was that there are many DIFFERENT kinds of "Salvations". Noah was SAVED FROM WATER by the Ark. Israel where SAVED FROM Pharoah's army BY water. A man who believes in Jesus is SAVED FROM the Lake of Fire, but Hebrews Chapter 12 says that he can be Chastised. So while he is saved from ETERNAL damnation he is guaranteed TEMPORAL chastisement, which Hebrews 12:11 says is "grievous". Then again, a Christian's BODY is SAVED by neither faith NOR works. Resurrection is just going to happen one day whether he likes it or not. And so, we have to MAKE A DIFFERENCE between "salvations". If we don't then somebody can rightfully say that one can be saved by giving birth and raising children (1st Tim.2:15)!

Now man is made of three parts - body, soul and spirit (Gen.2:7; 1st Thess.5:23). And each part needs to be saved if salvation is to be complete. And if God has not changed His mind about man subduing and ruling this earth, which is why He made man (Gen.1:26-28), then a man who does not end up subduing and ruling is not completely saved. That is why, when our Lord said that certain men could hardly enter the KINGDOM the disciples understood that they were not saved (Matt.19:25; Mk.10:26). So full salvation is made of FIVE PARTS. They are;
    1. A man's sin and sins must be put away by a worthy Substitute. Somebody has to pay to save him from God's righteous vengeance
    2. A man's SPIRIT must be born again or "anew" from above by the Holy Spirit (Jn.3:3-6)
    3. A man's SOUL must be transformed from a self-seeking, selfish, self-centered disposition, to a behavior that like that of Jesus
    4. A man's BODY must be resurrected for it is unfit in its present state to inherit the Kingdom when Christ sets it up on earth
    5. A man must be found worthy of being a co-king with Jesus when He sets up His Kingdom on earth

Philippians 2:12 concerns points #3 and #5. Here is the full context.

1 "If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
    2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
    3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
    4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
    5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
    12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
    14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
    15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
    16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain."

Verses 1 - 4 set forth an ATTITUDE that we are (i) servants of the other Christians, (ii) less important than them, (iii) and that we are to seek both the temporal and spiritual profit of other Christians before our own. There is no way to describe this except to say it must be DISPOSITION of a Christian and this DISPOSITION will produce WORKS.
    Verses 5 - 11 show the DISPOSITION of Jesus, our EXAMPLE and FORERUNNER. He abased Himself, lowered Himself to take the form of a man, lived in poverty, was persecuted, buffeted and rejected, and finally murdered by His own People for no apparent reason. But in this magnificent Life and Death was hidden the "Lamb of God" who took away the "Sin" of the world (Jn.1:29), and the "Trespasses" of the world (1st Jn.2:2). For this WORK of self denial, loss and humiliation, our Lord Jesus becomes the LEADING MAN ON EARTH when He sets up His Kingdom on earth. To become a king in God's Kingdom is (i) BY WORKS, and (ii) A REWARD.
    Verse 12, that under discussion, shows the WORK needed by a Christian to cast away his "Soul-life", to deny Himself, to absorb the battering and sufferings of this world, absorb the buffeting of other men, count himself dead to the demands of the flesh, to maintain a steady diet of Jesus as his spiritual food and walk the same road as Jesus in general so that the SOUL may be saved. Another scripture which shows this PROCESS is 2nd Peter 1:3-11. It shows the whole process of a Christian being given the LIFE of Christ and then HE MUST ADD VIRTUES so that at the end he is found fit, "For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" (v.11). And why is it "WITH FEAR AND TREMBLING"? Because any man who fails to be transformed FAILS in point #5. He will not enter the Kingdom!
    Verse 13 gives the MEANS. A fallen man CANNOT do these things. Most Christians find no power to do these things. So verse 13 shows that the impossible task of being transformed into a man fit for the Kingdom is ENERGIZED by God. God has a vested interest in you making it into the Kingdom. His reputation and testimony is at stake. So it is He that ENERGIZES you to do the things required to be transformed.
    Verses 14 - 15 show the RESULTANT DISPOSITION of the Christian who has "Worked out his own salvation" aided by God.
    Verse 16 gives the GOAL of the transformation of a Christians disposition. He may REJOICE! When? On the Day when Jesus Christ judges who will enter the Kingdom or not. That fateful day in the clouds when the Church is judged (Rom.14:10; 2nd Cor.5:10). The day when the Servant who added talents and pounds is made "ruler". Or that dreary day when the slothful and unfaithful servants are cast into "outer darkness"! The issue is, HOW DID YOU RUN? It is not whether you had faith or not. It is, how much EFFORT did you put into transforming the soul? How much LABOR did you invest?

1. Accepting Jesus as God's Lamb for your sins is by FAITH
    2. Being born again is by FAITH (Jn.1:12-13)
    3. Being transformed into the image and likeness of Christ in your disposition is by YOUR EFFORT coupled with God's ENERGY
    4. Being resurrected is guaranteed. You have to do nothing
    5. Being chosen as a co-king with Jesus depends on YOUR EFFORT, YOUR DISPOSITION, YOUR SANCTIFICATION, YOUR ABILITY TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE FIT TO REPRESENT GOD IN HIS KINGDOM. Those who loved money, ripped off the saints, sought fame, sinned habitually, loved the world, were indifferent to their testimony and who were lukewarm in their relationship with God and His Son Jesus, WILL NOT MAKE IT INTO THE KINGDOM AS CO-KINGS - TO THEIR DISGRACE AND LOSS. They will NOT "REJOICE". They will have "weeping and gnashing of teeth"!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post

IN GOD THE SON,
    maverick
    A true interpretation of the texts. Thank you

So what's you point walls? What did I say that was Biblically incorrect? And I know full well what "work" means. It's Strong's #G-2716. It means (1). to perform, accomplish, achieve. (2). to work out i.e to do that from which something results. (3) of things: bring about, result in. I think #2 fits nicely with the context. In fact, context determines the meaning of words.

Furthermore, I said specifically that vs12 is not talking about obtaining salvation in order to be saved. The Philippians were already saved in the first place. Besides, a person cannot "work out" what he does not have. "Work out" contains the idea of carrying out to an ultimate conclusion or result just like I mentioned point #2 above. As well the "fear and trembling" has to do with appling yourself in things which "accompany" salvation.

Vs13, It is God who is at work in us to bring about the sanctification process which will glorify Him. Besides, and like I said this is not about salvation otherwise the Apostle Paul would not have said at vs14, "Do all things without grumbling or disputing." Why walls? Just read the context of vs15-18. Finally, I don't need you to lecture me about the history of "SALVATION" and the dark ages. Although I will say that somebody around here is in the "dark" and it ain't me. Btw, can you post your source of the article on the history of salvation?

IN GOD THE SON,
    maverick

Thread Information