Page 1 of 22 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 517

Thread: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,800
    Blog Entries
    5

    Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Those of us who treat Daniel’s 70th week as consecutive (ie. not separated from the 69 preceding weeks), are sometimes asked, “well, when was it?” Here is the short answer:

    first day of seventieth week – 1st Nisan (27th March) AD 27
    last day of seventieth week – 29th Adar (8th March) AD 34


    Here are the dates in diagrammatic form, showing key chronological markers. I’ll get back soon to expand on this. We can discuss the significance of the last half of the ‘week’ too if you like.

    .


    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,800
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    There are several matters that we need to consider when searching for the start of the 70th week. The most important barely gets a mention on end-time forums, that Daniels ‘weeks’ were actually the Sabbath years. There was not a separate count of seven; it was one and the same as the Shemitah which had been counting (though not always observed) since Moses. (Lev. 25:1-7)

    The next matter is a technical problem that throws the count out sometimes. Modern Jewish calendars call the New Year ‘Rosh Hashanah’ and start their years in Tishri. (Sept) It was not always so because Moses explicitly said New Year was Nisan. (Exodus 12:2,17) So, when you see the vertical lines in the timeline, they mark Nisan (March) – not Tishri.

    Unfortunately, the Hebrew calendar was tampered with during the Inter-testament years.
    What does Ezra say?
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    10,627

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    This is a more advanced study into this than I'm adept at. But the timeline I agree with, except that I continue to doubt whether there even needs to be a last half of the 70th Week. As far as I'm concerned, the 70th Week was finished in the midst of the week, as a half-week. That's when the atonement for sin took place. That's where the Law basically became irrelevant as a covenant.

    However, it's a logical approach to find significance 3.5 years later after the death of Christ when the Gentiles began to be reached with the Gospel of Christ. This could explain the missing last half of the week. But again, I don't find it necessary, since the central part of the 70th Week happened in the middle of the Week. And that may itself have finished the 70th Week.

    I don't know where you stand on the Abomination of Desolation in Dan 9.26-27? I personally believe that the prophecy of the destruction of the city and the sanctuary, the AoD, was fulfilled *after* the 70 Weeks prophecy was fulfilled. It was fulfilled immediately after the fulfillment of the atonement of Christ in the midst of the Week, in the very generation in which Christ died.

    Is this your position? I find that those who want to cut off the 70th Week from the 70 consecutive weeks want to apply the prophecy of the AoD to Antichrist at the end of history. Maybe that's how they justify separating the 70th Week from the previous 69 weeks, so that the AoD can be applied to a future Antichrist?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,800
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk
    This is a more advanced study into this than I'm adept at.
    Not too advanced bro - just a different approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk
    But the timeline I agree with, except that I continue to doubt whether there even needs to be a last half of the 70th Week. As far as I'm concerned, the 70th Week was finished in the midst of the week, as a half-week. That's when the atonement for sin took place. That's where the Law basically became irrelevant as a covenant.
    The covenant took 7 years to confirm as I understand it. Most of the clauses requiring confirmation (Dan 9:24) happened at the cross, like you say. However, "the anointing of the most holy" occurred at the beginning of the week. (Christ the cornerstone) And it was finished at the end of the week. The Church began Pentecost, but the Gentile Pentecost came 3 1/2 years afterwards, and marks the final anointing of God's new temple.

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk
    I don't know where you stand on the Abomination of Desolation in Dan 9.26-27? I personally believe that the prophecy of the destruction of the city and the sanctuary, the AoD, was fulfilled *after* the 70 Weeks prophecy was fulfilled. It was fulfilled immediately after the fulfillment of the atonement of Christ in the midst of the Week, in the very generation in which Christ died.

    Is this your position? I find that those who want to cut off the 70th Week from the 70 consecutive weeks want to apply the prophecy of the AoD to Antichrist at the end of history. Maybe that's how they justify separating the 70th Week from the previous 69 weeks, so that the AoD can be applied to a future Antichrist?
    Yes, mostly agree. Ive got a paper on the AoD here.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    17,859

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    But the timeline I agree with, except that I continue to doubt whether there even needs to be a last half of the 70th Week. As far as I'm concerned, the 70th Week was finished in the midst of the week, as a half-week. That's when the atonement for sin took place. That's where the Law basically became irrelevant as a covenant.
    Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.


    The first thing to grasp is this. Every single thing in this verse is fulfilled during the 70th week. Therefore, there indeed needs to be a last half of the 70th week in order to fulfill the following....and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

    I fully disagree then, that a last half of the 70th week is not needed. If it wasn't needed, maybe the angel shouldn't have included this part then....and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

    Once one grasps that everything in verse 27 is fulfilled during the 70th week, it then becomes plainly obvious Christ can't be the one fulfilling any of these things.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    THE 70 WEEKS ARE LITERAL WEEKS!!!!!!

    Can anybody even entertain this idea? Good grief. Can it just be that weeks really mean weeks? Have we all been brainwashed?

    The fact is that the 70 are weeks not years and have yet commenced.

    The 70th week begins with a future 7 day Feast of Tabernacles wherein Christ shall return.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    17,859

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    THE 70 WEEKS ARE LITERAL WEEKS!!!!!!

    Can anybody even entertain this idea? Good grief.
    No, no we can't, because the idea is ludicrous bigtime. No serious Bible student would waste their time pursuing such nonsense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4,823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    No, no we can't, because the idea is ludicrous bigtime. No serious Bible student would waste their time pursuing such nonsense.
    Really. What is nonsense ? To believe a week is a week or a week is actually to be translated to years? Think about. Let's say you are speaking with an unbeliever about the 70 weeks are you tell him you are not to accept a week is a literal week in this passage. Then you go on to tell him you must be born again? He will tell you that you are making the scriptures say what you want, goodbye.

    If it were weeks to years then there should be no debate when they happened. It would be recorded history? If it were to be years the Spirit would have said. Why only this incidence?

    I will tell you why, because there is no serious bible student on earth which can figure out the prophesy if it were a future event.

    No my friend what is ludicrous is translating weeks to years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    17,859

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Really. What is nonsense ? To believe a week is a week or a week is actually to be translated to years? Think about. Let's say you are speaking with an unbeliever about the 70 weeks are you tell him you are not to accept a week is a literal week in this passage. Then you go on to tell him you must be born again? He will tell you that you are making the scriptures say what you want, goodbye.

    If it were weeks to years then there should be no debate when they happened. It would be recorded history? If it were to be years the Spirit would have said. Why only this incidence?

    I will tell you why, because there is no serious bible student on earth which can figure out the prophesy if it were a future event.

    No my friend what is ludicrous is translating weeks to years.
    Let's see, the biggest majority of interpreters during the past cpl thousand years all agree with one another that week of years are meant. But you want us to believe that you alone are correct instead, and that it's really meaning literal weeks and not weeks of years like millions of others have been concluding this whole time? If that wouldn't be pursuing nonsense, what would it be pursuing? Granted, the majority isn't always correct every single time. But in this case what are the chances that the majority is wrong about this, and you alone are correct about it instead? How about the chances are 1 in 900 million that you are correct? Do you like those odds?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    17,859

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.


    Who is it that does this though? How can it not be the following....the prince that shall come(Daniel 9:26). How can that be meaning Christ? In verse 27 what is it that is being made desolate? It has to be something already mentioned in verse 27. What was already mentioned in verse 27? and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease

    Therefore, these parts go together and form one thought, thus are connected----and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,950
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Really. What is nonsense ? To believe a week is a week or a week is actually to be translated to years? Think about. Let's say you are speaking with an unbeliever about the 70 weeks are you tell him you are not to accept a week is a literal week in this passage. Then you go on to tell him you must be born again? He will tell you that you are making the scriptures say what you want, goodbye.

    If it were weeks to years then there should be no debate when they happened. It would be recorded history? If it were to be years the Spirit would have said. Why only this incidence?

    I will tell you why, because there is no serious bible student on earth which can figure out the prophesy if it were a future event.

    No my friend what is ludicrous is translating weeks to years.
    It isn't ludicrous either way around, as the word used literally means "sevens". This can refer to a week of days (seven days) or a week of years (seven years).
    The root in Hebrew is the same, and is also the root from which we get Sabbath.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    9,950
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    THE 70 WEEKS ARE LITERAL WEEKS!!!!!!

    Can anybody even entertain this idea? Good grief. Can it just be that weeks really mean weeks? Have we all been brainwashed?

    The fact is that the 70 are weeks not years and have yet commenced.

    The 70th week begins with a future 7 day Feast of Tabernacles wherein Christ shall return.
    I did consider it, but then we need to recognise that it MUST fit with certain things ALL occurring WITHIN the 70 literal weeks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    West Midlands, UK
    Posts
    62

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Actually, the Hebrew does not say "weeks" at all.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,800
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Hi Andy. Long time no see.

    No, the Hebrew says, 'sevens.' (shabua) Do you have a problem with the generally accepted interpretation of 70 weeks of years?
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pitt Meadows b.c.
    Posts
    4,814
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Exact Dates for the 70th Week

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    There are several matters that we need to consider when searching for the start of the 70th week. The most important barely gets a mention on end-time forums, that Daniels ‘weeks’ were actually the Sabbath years. There was not a separate count of seven; it was one and the same as the Shemitah which had been counting (though not always observed) since Moses. (Lev. 25:1-7)

    The next matter is a technical problem that throws the count out sometimes. Modern Jewish calendars call the New Year ‘Rosh Hashanah’ and start their years in Tishri. (Sept) It was not always so because Moses explicitly said New Year was Nisan. (Exodus 12:2,17) So, when you see the vertical lines in the timeline, they mark Nisan (March) – not Tishri.

    Unfortunately, the Hebrew calendar was tampered with during the Inter-testament years.
    What does Ezra say?
    But sabbath years were to do with blessings and Daniels years or weeks were to do with the 7 fold punishments from Moses in Leviticus 26

    The angel came with the 70 weeks due to Daniels prayer in the beginning of Daniel 9 as Daniel was praying to Godfor mercy because the 70 years prophecied by Jeremiah were coming to an end and the Jews were not repenting

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 70th Week midst... Not the Midpoint?
    By Soldier_of_Faith in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jun 5th 2018, 06:08 AM
  2. Information Last Half of the 70th Week
    By Cyberseeker in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: Dec 24th 2017, 08:46 AM
  3. Daniel's 70th Week cont.
    By randyk in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 348
    Last Post: Feb 1st 2016, 07:46 PM
  4. The 70th week: Fulfilled, unfulfilled?
    By seeker_truth in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 254
    Last Post: Jun 18th 2015, 06:12 PM
  5. The 70th Week (the last 3.5)
    By Beckrl in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul 11th 2010, 03:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •