Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Heaven New Earth

New Heaven New Earth

Using logic and also looking into the original Greek usage, we can see that the word earth does not mean planet Earth, but means land. Heavens does not mean the universe, just the sky/atmosphere.

The ancients did not have a conclusive understanding of planets etc, if you look outside on a clear day the sky looks like a clear blue dome covering the landscape. As evening approaches the stars look like little lights within that dome.

Thus the universe to the ancients was made up of the land, sea, atmosphere/sky, and the depths under the earth.

The Bible is clear the foundation of the earth remains forever, for example :
    Psalm 104:5 He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

Micah 6:2
    “Hear, you mountains, the Lord’s accusation; listen, you everlasting foundations of the earth

With this as background, wherever the Bible refers to New Heavens and New Earth (NHNE) it is actually referring to a renewed land surface and atmosphere.
    New land and new sky on the eternal foundation of planet Earth.

Therefore when we come across the NHNE in verses like Isaiah 66:22 and 2 Peter 3:13 which appear to be in second coming context, this means the there will be vast changes to the environment on the day of the Lord. Confirmed by verses which describe every mountain removed, every island removed and a river of life transforming the landscape.

So folks, don't think of a new planet and new universe. Just a transformed landscape.

Blog Entries

Re: New Heaven New Earth

Quote Originally Posted by DurbanDude View Post
    Using logic and also looking into the original Greek usage, we can see that the word earth does not mean planet Earth, but means land. Heavens does not mean the universe, just the sky/atmosphere.

The ancients did not have a conclusive understanding of planets etc, if you look outside on a clear day the sky looks like a clear blue dome covering the landscape. As evening approaches the stars look like little lights within that dome.

Thus the universe to the ancients was made up of the land, sea, atmosphere/sky, and the depths under the earth.

“Hear, you mountains, the Lord’s accusation; listen, you everlasting foundations of the earth

With this as background, wherever the Bible refers to New Heavens and New Earth (NHNE) it is actually referring to a renewed land surface and atmosphere.

Therefore when we come across the NHNE in verses like Isaiah 66:22 and 2 Peter 3:13 which appear to be in second coming context, this means the there will be vast changes to the environment on the day of the Lord. Confirmed by verses which describe every mountain removed, every island removed and a river of life transforming the landscape.

So folks, don't think of a new planet and new universe. Just a transformed landscape.
    I agree it refers to a transformed landscape. Paul spoke of God's shaking of the heaven and earth in Hebrew 12:26. Where the contention lies, is when this NHNE will be ushered in? No doubt you've heard some say it will start at the same time as the millennial age (when new Jerusalem comes down) while some believe it will start after the GWTJ.

What say thee?

Blog Entries

You should take the Hebrew into account, for example in Psa. 104:5 it says « olam va ed » which never means never, but the olam (aion) and further. In the O.T. the purpose of the aions (Eph. 3:11) wasn't explained yet, so they couldn't and didn't need to see the full picture. So this verse does not state the earth remains eternally.

The same for Micah 6:2 which according to the Hebrew, doesn't read the word everlasting.

You also seem to share God among the ancients who didn't know much about the heavens? The ancients knew a lot more about the heavens than we nowadays think. They knew of the air heaven where the fowls of the air fly in (Psa. 104:12). They knew of the star heaven where the son and moon are in (Gen. 15:5), and they knew about the heaven of heavens, the one that cannot contain God (1 Kings 8:27).

You are correct that there will not come a new planet earth as there didn't came a new one when the aion of Noah closed. They will be new compared to the old, the same about the heavens. The NHNE of Isaiah are BTW not the same as those mentioned in Rev. 21, I've already posted the differences once — which were denied of course — but will do it again:

Isa. 65 speaks of Jerusalem, which is now, the old, that will be restored by Israel, v. 18. In Rev. 21 is the New Jerusalem.

According to Isa. 65 the location is on a high mountain: My holy mountain, v. 25. According to Rev. 21, it comes from God from heaven, v. 2.

According to Isaiah there are still sinners in Jerusalem, v. 20. According to Rev. 21 in the New Jerusalem comes nothing that defiles, v. 27.

According to Isa. 65 Jerusalem must be built, (see also 61:4; 62:4). According to Rev. 21 it is built by God, v. 12 — 15. See also Heb. 11:10.

According to Isa. 66:19 is sent to the Gentiles. According to Rev. 21 the Gentiles come , v. 24.

In Isaiah's Jerusalem there is a temple from which the stream comes, Eze. 40 — 47. In John's prophecy there is no temple and the stream comes from the throne of God and the Lamb, 21:1.

According to Isaiah, there is curse and judgment, 65:20; 66:15, 16, 24. According to Rev. 22:3 there's not.

In Isaiah the sea is still there, for it is sent to the distant islands, 66:19, in Revelation there is no sea anymore 21:1.

In Isaiah there is day and night, 66:23, in The Revelation there is no night anymore, 22:5.

Aristarkos

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    I agree it refers to a transformed landscape. Paul spoke of God's shaking of the heaven and earth in Hebrew 12:26. Where the contention lies, is when this NHNE will be ushered in? No doubt you've heard some say it will start at the same time as the millennial age (when new Jerusalem comes down) while some believe it will start after the GWTJ.

What say thee?
    We have to look at context. If the NHNE is mentioned in second coming context it is referring to landscape transformation at the second coming. When mentioned at the end of the millennium , it applies then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristarkos View Post
    You should take the Hebrew into account, for example in Psa. 104:5 it says « olam va ed » which never means never, but the olam (aion) and further. In the O.T. the purpose of the aions (Eph. 3:11) wasn't explained yet, so they couldn't and didn't need to see the full picture. So this verse does not state the earth remains eternally.

The same for Micah 6:2 which according to the Hebrew, doesn't read the word everlasting.

You also seem to share God among the ancients who didn't know much about the heavens? The ancients knew a lot more about the heavens than we nowadays think. They knew of the air heaven where the fowls of the air fly in (Psa. 104:12). They knew of the star heaven where the son and moon are in (Gen. 15:5), and they knew about the heaven of heavens, the one that cannot contain God (1 Kings 8:27).

You are correct that there will not come a new planet earth as there didn't came a new one when the aion of Noah closed. They will be new compared to the old, the same about the heavens. The NHNE of Isaiah are BTW not the same as those mentioned in Rev. 21, I've already posted the differences once — which were denied of course — but will do it again:

Isa. 65 speaks of Jerusalem, which is now, the old, that will be restored by Israel, v. 18. In Rev. 21 is the New Jerusalem.

According to Isa. 65 the location is on a high mountain: My holy mountain, v. 25. According to Rev. 21, it comes from God from heaven, v. 2.

According to Isaiah there are still sinners in Jerusalem, v. 20. According to Rev. 21 in the New Jerusalem comes nothing that defiles, v. 27.

According to Isa. 65 Jerusalem must be built, (see also 61:4; 62:4). According to Rev. 21 it is built by God, v. 12 — 15. See also Heb. 11:10.

According to Isa. 66:19 is sent to the Gentiles. According to Rev. 21 the Gentiles come , v. 24.

In Isaiah's Jerusalem there is a temple from which the stream comes, Eze. 40 — 47. In John's prophecy there is no temple and the stream comes from the throne of God and the Lamb, 21:1.

According to Isaiah, there is curse and judgment, 65:20; 66:15, 16, 24. According to Rev. 22:3 there's not.

In Isaiah the sea is still there, for it is sent to the distant islands, 66:19, in Revelation there is no sea anymore 21:1.

In Isaiah there is day and night, 66:23, in The Revelation there is no night anymore, 22:5.

Aristarkos
    True so you also emphasize context. It's not the mention of NHNE that determines timing, but it's context that determines the timing of that particular NHNE.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post

What say thee?
    Ok on further analysis of Hebrew 12:26 , it is a reference to Haggai 2. That shaking is related to the second temple being greater than Solomon's. Which never occurred even under the rebuilding of Herod, until the Romans destroyed it. So one can only assume the shaking is symbolic of Jesus' association with the second temple and his effect on the nations. Jesus is building a kingdom that cannot be shaken, the church.

The whole scheme of things is not too complicated.

Isaiah 45:18 and 1st Corinthians 14:33 both agree that God is not the author of confusion. So the heavens and the earth were created in good order. Then, in Genesis 1:2 something had happened to produce chaos, and God covered the chaos in water and switched off the lights of the earth. Then, what follows is a "RENEWING" of the earth to a habitable condition in 6 twenty-four-hour periods - from sunset to sunset.

Then, before the seventh day was complete, Adam fell and with him, the earth returned to chaos. God has now TWO options;
    1. Destroy everything and start new. But that would be a victory for Satan because God had decreed that mankind should subdue and rule the earth
    2. Restore the chaos legally, and in doing so, defeat His enemy, uphold His councils, and show His glory

Of course, we know that He chose option #2. And so Jehovah sets out to achieve His councils again in 6 days - this time though, not from sunset to sunset but in "days" that suit His grandeur - 1,000 year periods (Ps.90:4; 2nd Pet.3:8). But irrespective of this, one thing was very important. God's councils and God's victory had to take place on the chaotic earth - the earth were the nonsense began. If He renewed the earth from chaos WITHOUT MAN He was just as big a loser. So the establishment of God's Kingdom on earth, with its attached "Heavenly Rule", and subjection of all enemies MUST TAKE PLACE ON THE OLD EARTH - by mankind. God does not shy away from confrontation, and His reputation is at stake. Can He "subdue" His enemies under the OLD REGIME?

So after the 6 one-thousand-year days He has His Man, the "last Adam" in place, on earth, subjecting angels, demons, men and death to Himself AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEVENTH DAY of one thousand years. God had hallowed the SEVENTH DAY, so He does no work and Hebrews Chapter 3 and 4 call this 7th one-thousand-year-day "God's REST", or, "the coming Sabbath.

At the end of this 7th DAY, God, in accordance with all He does, puts His kingdom under the "Last Adam" TO THE TEST. His most powerful enemy is released and allowed to raise up offspring of the first Adam to try and usurp the Kingdom from the Last Adam. This final rebellion fails utterly. One can read about it in Ezekiel Chapter 38 and 39 - that of Magog and Gog.

But now that God's councils are achieved, and all enemies are subdued, God can, without injuring His reputation, BLOT OUT THE EFFECTS OF THESE SEVEN 1,000-year days. Both Heaven and the Earth bear scars of Satan's and man's rebellion. This is abhorrent to Jehovah. So at the dawn of the EIGHTH DAY, He RENEWS BOTH HEAVEN AND EARTH IN SUCH A WAY AS TO BLOT OUT ANY EVIDENCE OF THE PAST EXCEPT THE WORK OF THE LAST ADAM. The magnificent WORK of the Son of God incarnate is left for an everlasting memorial of God's grace and mercy, and the Lake of Fire is left as an everlasting memorial of God's justice and righteousness. Otherwise, EVERYTHING IS MADE NEW and the old is not to be found anywhere.

Pretty deep folks.

I see a temple being built by our Lord Jesus when He comes, as per Zechariah 6:12-13, with Ezekiel 47 revealing God's River on earth flowing out from the sanctuary during Christ's future Millennial reign of Rev.20. Even Rev.22:14-15 makes mention of the saints being allowed inside the holy city where the tree of life is, while the wicked exist outside the gates of the city. So I see beginnings of the new heavens and a new earth when Jesus returns. Then when His thousand years reign is over, and after the GWT judgment, God will finish the new heavens and a new earth changes for the eternity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavePeace View Post
    Pretty deep folks.

I see a temple being built by our Lord Jesus when He comes, as per Zechariah 6:12-13, with Ezekiel 47 revealing God's River on earth flowing out from the sanctuary during Christ's future Millennial reign of Rev.20. Even Rev.22:14-15 makes mention of the saints being allowed inside the holy city where the tree of life is, while the wicked exist outside the gates of the city. So I see beginnings of the new heavens and a new earth when Jesus returns. Then when His thousand years reign is over, and after the GWT judgment, God will finish the new heavens and a new earth changes for the eternity.

Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
    I know. And truly we do represent part of that spiritual temple. Yet God's Word reveals there will be a physical temple built in Jerusalem for the time of Christ's future Millennial reign. Thereafter? Well, Ezekiel 37 says 'evermore', but Rev.21 says no more temple because The Father and The Son are the temple thereof. We will just have to wait and see. But I personally have no doubts about the existence of the Ezekiel temple of Ezek.40-47 that Jesus will build in the land of Israel at His return.

Zech 6:12-13
    12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

13 Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.
    KJV

Ezek 37:24-28
    24 And David My servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in My judgments, and observe My statutes, and do them.
    25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob My servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and My servant David shall be their prince for ever.
    26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set My sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
    27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
    28 And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.
    KJV

New Heavens and New Earth Timing:

Rev 21:22-24
    22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
    23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
    24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
    KJV

Blog Entries

I know. And truly we do represent part of that spiritual temple. Yet God's Word reveals there will be a physical temple built in Jerusalem for the time of Christ's future Millennial reign. Thereafter? Well, Ezekiel 37 says 'evermore', but Rev.21 says no more temple because The Father and The Son are the temple thereof. We will just have to wait and see. But I personally have no doubts about the existence of the Ezekiel temple of Ezek.40-47 that Jesus will build in the land of Israel at His return.

Zech 6:12-13
    12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

13 Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.
    KJV

Ezek 37:24-28
    24 And David My servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in My judgments, and observe My statutes, and do them.
    25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob My servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and My servant David shall be their prince for ever.
    26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set My sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
    27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
    28 And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.
    KJV

New Heavens and New Earth Timing:

Rev 21:22-24
    22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
    23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
    24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
    KJV
    The temple Jesus builds is the church

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    The whole scheme of things is not too complicated.

Isaiah 45:18 and 1st Corinthians 14:33 both agree that God is not the author of confusion. So the heavens and the earth were created in good order. Then, in Genesis 1:2 something had happened to produce chaos, and God covered the chaos in water and switched off the lights of the earth. Then, what follows is a "RENEWING" of the earth to a habitable condition in 6 twenty-four-hour periods - from sunset to sunset.

Then, before the seventh day was complete, Adam fell and with him, the earth returned to chaos. God has now TWO options;
    1. Destroy everything and start new. But that would be a victory for Satan because God had decreed that mankind should subdue and rule the earth
    2. Restore the chaos legally, and in doing so, defeat His enemy, uphold His councils, and show His glory

Of course, we know that He chose option #2. And so Jehovah sets out to achieve His councils again in 6 days - this time though, not from sunset to sunset but in "days" that suit His grandeur - 1,000 year periods (Ps.90:4; 2nd Pet.3:8). But irrespective of this, one thing was very important. God's councils and God's victory had to take place on the chaotic earth - the earth were the nonsense began. If He renewed the earth from chaos WITHOUT MAN He was just as big a loser. So the establishment of God's Kingdom on earth, with its attached "Heavenly Rule", and subjection of all enemies MUST TAKE PLACE ON THE OLD EARTH - by mankind. God does not shy away from confrontation, and His reputation is at stake. Can He "subdue" His enemies under the OLD REGIME?

So after the 6 one-thousand-year days He has His Man, the "last Adam" in place, on earth, subjecting angels, demons, men and death to Himself AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEVENTH DAY of one thousand years. God had hallowed the SEVENTH DAY, so He does no work and Hebrews Chapter 3 and 4 call this 7th one-thousand-year-day "God's REST", or, "the coming Sabbath.

At the end of this 7th DAY, God, in accordance with all He does, puts His kingdom under the "Last Adam" TO THE TEST. His most powerful enemy is released and allowed to raise up offspring of the first Adam to try and usurp the Kingdom from the Last Adam. This final rebellion fails utterly. One can read about it in Ezekiel Chapter 38 and 39 - that of Magog and Gog.

But now that God's councils are achieved, and all enemies are subdued, God can, without injuring His reputation, BLOT OUT THE EFFECTS OF THESE SEVEN 1,000-year days. Both Heaven and the Earth bear scars of Satan's and man's rebellion. This is abhorrent to Jehovah. So at the dawn of the EIGHTH DAY, He RENEWS BOTH HEAVEN AND EARTH IN SUCH A WAY AS TO BLOT OUT ANY EVIDENCE OF THE PAST EXCEPT THE WORK OF THE LAST ADAM. The magnificent WORK of the Son of God incarnate is left for an everlasting memorial of God's grace and mercy, and the Lake of Fire is left as an everlasting memorial of God's justice and righteousness. Otherwise, EVERYTHING IS MADE NEW and the old is not to be found anywhere.
    Most of what you say makes perfect sense. Although whether the chaos was due to some earlier fall, or merely a word to describe the barrenness of the planet in preparation for creation is a point for another thread. But to get less philosophical about mankind through the ages and to focus specifically on the NHNE, you correctly describe the NHNE at the end of the "7th day".

Do you also see a partial transformation at the beginning of the 7th day, when the landscape is transformed as per descriptions of the great earthquake, every building collapses, every mountain and island removed, mount Zion raised higher than the rest, and a transforming river of life flowing out from Jerusalem? Thus we begin the millenium with a new land and new sky. I would associate the NHNE mentioned in Isaiah 66 and 2 Peter 3 with the day of the Lord, beginning of the 7th "day".

Pretty deep folks.

Zechariah 6:12-13 could very well be referring to Jesus building the temple of the church since his first coming. Can you prove biblically that Jesus will also build the Ezekiel temple?

Yep. Moses didn't have a telescope. Galileo wasn't around yet.

Most of what you say makes perfect sense. Although whether the chaos was due to some earlier fall, or merely a word to describe the barrenness of the planet in preparation for creation is a point for another thread. But to get less philosophical about mankind through the ages and to focus specifically on the NHNE, you correctly describe the NHNE at the end of the "7th day".

Do you also see a partial transformation at the beginning of the 7th day, when the landscape is transformed as per descriptions of the great earthquake, every building collapses, every mountain and island removed, mount Zion raised higher than the rest, and a transforming river of life flowing out from Jerusalem? Thus we begin the millenium with a new land and new sky. I would associate the NHNE mentioned in Isaiah 66 and 2 Peter 3 with the day of the Lord, beginning of the 7th "day".
    The present situation on earth is caused by man's rebellion and his sins. The earth is cursed for (i) Abel's blood, and then (ii) the sins of men, namely, murder, sexual sins and idolatry. In the Millennium, with "the rule of the rod of iron", all of this will stop. So the prophets tell of a time when the weather does not play up, the deserts (except Edom) will bloom, the animals will no longer threaten and the harvests will be so big that they will overtake seeding time. This is called the "REGENERATION" (Matt.19:28). The Greek word rendered "regeneration" has the connotation of spring when those plants that seemed lifeless, spring into new life. Thus, the Millennium displays God's blessing on the OLD Creation when His Heavenly rule is implemented.

The the Greek word rendered "New" in Revelation 21 means "made pristine". That is, everything is made to what it was in the beginning with no signs of wear and tear. An inkling of this can be gleaned from 1st Peter 3:20-21. It reads;

20 "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
    21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

Here, Peter likens Baptism to the Flood and says that Noah and his family were "saved BY water". Normally we understand "saved FROM water" when we talk about Noah's salvation. But here Noah is saved BY water. HOW? The waters covered the deeds of men that had polluted the earth so completely, that when Noah emerged from the Ark, there was NO EVIDENCE of it remaining. Peter likens this to the effect of Baptism where a Christian, who was once a depraved sinner, enemy and offender of God, has his past wiped out so that he can go forward in a relationship with God with NO EVIDENCE of his past. So also the earth;
    • During the Millennium there will be EVIDENCE of the destructive practices of men. The main one is DEATH. The rule of the rod of iron will include the death penalty. The age ends with a massive slaughter as Magog's rebellion is put down.
    • But on the New Earth all men are resurrected and there will be no evidence of the death caused by sin (singular). Every man has a new body and Adam's poisonous nature is finally abolished by this.*

This is the difference between "REGENERATED" in the Millennium, and "RENEWED" (made pristine) on the New Earth.

* The "Second Death" is not the same as death. The Second Death, or "Perdition", or "The Lake of Fire" is LIVING MEN in agony for their sins (plural), or, as Isaiah 66:24 puts it, "transgressions". It is a CONDITION of LIVING men in mental and physical agony.

Thread Information