Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Throw Away Your TV

1. Re: Image of the Beast: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I say this not with sarcasm or being snarky as some are prone to do.

But what about the computer? Did you type this on a computer?

The computer is infinitely more dangerous in terms of images and filth than the television is. And children and young people have access to those things in their homes with little parental supervision.

I guess my question is why target the TV and not the computer.
    This post was originally a link to a long 5-part series on my website before moderation removed the link. It would have made sense if you saw that whole series. Basically, TV puts us in a passive state physically, mentally, spiritually where we only absorb what is given. A computer you can be creative with and choose what to learn or what sites to go to. With TV you have 700 channels and maybe only 5 of them are not total garbage.

2. Re: Image of the Beast: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Computer internet use is worst habit a Christian can participate in.

Using a computer on the internet destroys us physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Internet use also fulfills the prophecy of the end times "image of the beast" from the book of Revelation which leads the world astray. (This will be discussed in part 4)

Modern Christianity has become lukewarm due to compromising with sinful and foolish internet use.
    I edited the OP to provide the content since the website link is gone..... I will post part 4 "Image of the beast" in the end times section.

Re: Image of the Beast: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by studentoftruth111 View Post
    This post was originally a link to a long 5-part series on my website before moderation removed the link. It would have made sense if you saw that whole series. Basically, TV puts us in a passive state physically, mentally, spiritually where we only absorb what is given. A computer you can be creative with and choose what to learn or what sites to go to. With TV you have 700 channels and maybe only 5 of them are not total garbage.
    thankyou Student for a Great thread.

gotta agree with your stance on TV. took me years...

an atheist friend gave me a book about this, against TV no less. i read it and said he was right, out went the TV about 20 years ago.

stay with us on the Forum awhile, you have some Good Cutting Edge stuff.

blessings.
    Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

4. Re: Image of the Beast: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by John777 View Post

an atheist friend gave me a book about this, against TV no less. i read it and said he was right, out went the TV about 20 years ago.

blessings.
    Thanks for the encouraging reply
    Might I ask what the title is of the book you read about TV?
    I had quite alot of trouble trying to find any books related to the negative effects of television.....

Blog Entries

Oh, I read your link. I'm a mod and we can read it.

Wouldn't you say that there are hundreds of thousands of websites on the computer and maybe only a 10th of them are not garbage?

Can you not, with a TV, be creative and choose what channels and programming you watch?

Again, I'm not being pushy here, just don't understand why the computer is OK and TV is not.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

If someone has to throw their TV out because they can't control themselves and so they watch a bunch of worldly junk - the TV isn't the problem. Your heart and your focus is.
    Focus yourself on God and He will change your heart.

Then? That truly anti- God anti-Morality worldly junk will sicken you and you'll turn on reruns of The Waltons or a good pastor ( NOT a name it and claim it prosperity bullpucky slinger or self help guru masquerading as a pastor but one that preaches the gospel with Scripture and sound exegesis ) instead.

I complain about the mega church imposters just as much if not more than others but guess what? There are good ones on TV too. Seriously.

There is plenty of wholesome, family entertainment available on both broadcast and cable/satellite TV. You only see the junk if you choose to see it and if it's a huge problem fix the disease and not the symptoms - By having a closer walk with and love of God.
    Day by day
    Oh Dear Lord
    Three things I pray
    To see thee more clearly
    Love thee more dearly
    Follow thee more nearly
    Day by day

Blog Entries

Re: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by John777 View Post

blessings.
    Since you are obsessed with YouTube fake news and fake prophecy and fake conspiracyís , donít you think youíre a bit hypocritical here?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin633 View Post
    So are you saying and I know I have only picked out a small section.
    That it's ok for young or old girls to parade there bodies in front of any man with the intention to catch his eye to build her power her vanity and think that's right.
    And as a man I should be in control and turn away.
    A girl in this world who does such a thing is playing with fire.

Thankfully I am able to control my eyes and mind but the rest of the world may not be able to do this.

In a perfect world I would agree with you that it's man's lust that causes the end result, but if the girls were to behave and act in a Christian way there is a good chance she would not come to any harm.

By acting and behaving as Christ wishes us too we should not be apart of this world.
    Thanks for your input. I think you have answered your own question. Why are men provoked by the almost naked body of a beautiful young woman? And why is the girl playing with fire? There is only one answer? BOTH are fallen. And that is what I have maintained from the beginning. And the Lord not only knows it, but reveals it to men. He even asks the Christian women to dress modestly for the meeting not to distract the brothers (1st Tim.2:9). But to put the command upon other Christians not to watch TV, and this without a single scripture, is to usurp the LOrd's position. Is it not the Holy Spirit that should dictate these things? Romans 8:13-14 reads;

13 "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

It does not read:
    13 "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    14 For as many as are led by the opinions of fellow brothers, they are the sons of God."

Why, in my 40 years as a born again Christian I have heard so many man-made rules which had not a single basis in scripture. I have been judged for the clothes I wear, the car I drive, the job I did, for hunting, for giving too much of my money by this brother and by another brother - for giving too little. I have ONE Lord and if He remains silent on TV in the whole Bible, then I am led by His Spirit - not some brother who has a problem with TV. Is this brother my Lord? If this brother came to my house I would not switch on the TV so as not to stumble him. But I do not hide my TV lest I be a hypocrite. THAT is something the Lord addresses in His Word. I like a glass of wine with my wife's venison dishes, but will leave my wine in the cellar if a brother comes who has a problem with it (Romans 14:1-4).

Let us submit to scripture first, for God's Spirit will not contradict Himself. Let us be led by the Holy Spirit in us in ALL things. Let us not stumble a weaker brother by going without things that are Lawful, but which he has a problem with. But let us OBEY the Lord and not men.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    If someone has to throw their TV out because they can't control themselves and so they watch a bunch of worldly junk - the TV isn't the problem. Your heart and your focus is.
    Focus yourself on God and He will change your heart.

Then? That truly anti- God anti-Morality worldly junk will sicken you and you'll turn on reruns of The Waltons or a good pastor ( NOT a name it and claim it prosperity bullpucky slinger or self help guru masquerading as a pastor but one that preaches the gospel with Scripture and sound exegesis ) instead.

I complain about the mega church imposters just as much if not more than others but guess what? There are good ones on TV too. Seriously.

There is plenty of wholesome, family entertainment available on both broadcast and cable/satellite TV. You only see the junk if you choose to see it and if it's a huge problem fix the disease and not the symptoms - By having a closer walk with and love of God.
    Exactly!

The TV is only one example of an idol in this world.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

I edited the OP to provide the content since the website link is gone..... I will post part 4 "Image of the beast" in the end times section.
    If you were dealing with "idols" and a TV was just an example of "an" idol... then you would reach more people in the seriousness of idolatry. But by picking on the TV, you have an agenda to pick.

Many Christians don't abuse the use of their TV, it's not an idol to them.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Question Re: Image of the Beast: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Computer internet use is worst habit a Christian can participate in.

Using a computer on the internet destroys us physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Internet use also fulfills the prophecy of the end times "image of the beast" from the book of Revelation which leads the world astray. (This will be discussed in part 4)

Modern Christianity has become lukewarm due to compromising with sinful and foolish internet use.
    Are you not using a computer to access the internet? How would rate using this forum?
    John 15:17 "These things I command you, that ye love one another."

12. Re: Image of the Beast: Throw Away Your TV

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Oh, I read your link. I'm a mod and we can read it.

Wouldn't you say that there are hundreds of thousands of websites on the computer and maybe only a 10th of them are not garbage?

Can you not, with a TV, be creative and choose what channels and programming you watch?

Again, I'm not being pushy here, just don't understand why the computer is OK and TV is not.
    Personally, I had 700 channels but 99% of it was trashy and unwatchable, either insulting to the intelligence or having terrible values and attitudes. In the end I found peace with switching to other creative hobbies and activities to replace the television.

The computer/internet on the other hand, is more useful for learning things. There is much good content. The bad can be avoided by managing keywords in search. Its a good tool for creating and designing or writing. Can be used to interact with people in communities like this one. It is a tool of creativity.

Blog Entries

Then choose not to have a TV if you donít like it.

Personally I donít have any channels. Everything coming in is streamed.

No evil rabbit ears to corrupt my virgin ears.

There are so many generalities to make such a discussion about TV and internet pointless. There are myriad of really good family shows with a Christian viewpoint available 24/7 if one is wanting to watch shows. Even weekly series shows that are streamed via the internet right to one's TV. Folks like me that have an Apple TV, there is a wide range of Christian lectures and presentations from a variety of sources that I can watch in the comfort of my living room.

The internet allows for piles of research. It allows many who are financially limited to have access to a huge library of bibles, commentaries, research papers, ancient texts, etc And many of them available at no cost.

Sure there is trash on both TV and Internet. But one of the key characteristics about the Lord is that He gives us free will to choose. Been that way since the Garden. It is up to us to choose wisely.
    Israel.... the Believer's insurance policy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deade View Post
    Are you not using a computer to access the internet? How would rate using this forum?
    The point of my comment about the internet is, if we are going to speak of idolatry, we can't corner an agenda upon a SINGLE idol. The OP is about a TV... ONLY.

If the TV is the ONLY idol in the world, then there is an issue to raise but since the TV is one of millions of idols, and the only idol raised is the TV = agenda. There are many Christians with TV's in their home who are not going to be pressured or cornered by this TV agenda because "their" TV is not an idol. Maybe something else is.

So for years, when an agenda is raised, I raise another idol to point out it's not about JUST a TV (in this case). When it comes to idolatry, it's an issue of the heart, not a TV, or the internet, or sports, or a hobby, or a job, etc.

I can even go as far as to say, if an agenda is about a single topic like a TV, well... the person with such an agenda HAS AN IDOL. The idol is the agenda and the legalistic manner in which it's forced upon others is the fruit of the idol in their life.
    Slug1--out

Thread Information