Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is more evil - the tongue or the heart?

Blog Entries

Which is more evil - the tongue or the heart?

In exhorting the church on the importance of our utterances, James 3 described the tongue as an unruly deadly poison, capable of changing the course of life. We bless and curse with it, which should not be. It is a small member of the body, yet so powerful.

On the other hand, Jeremiah 17:9 described the heart as "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked; who can understand it?

The way I see it, the tongue speaks what's in the heart. So which should be blamed, the tongue or the heart?

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Re: Which is more evil - the tongue or the heart?

The tongue reveals the heart. For out of the heart the mouth speaks.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Blog Entries

I would say that the from the heart the tongue speaks...
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

מקום כניעה סך הכל

meh, i would say both: different tools for different jobs.
    Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

They work in tandem. The tongue reveals the heart. By listening to the tongue you get a good indication of someone's heart. James says that if one does not control their tongue their religion is vain.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    In exhorting the church on the importance of our utterances, James 3 described the tongue as an unruly deadly poison, capable of changing the course of life. We bless and curse with it, which should not be. It is a small member of the body, yet so powerful.

On the other hand, Jeremiah 17:9 described the heart as "[FONT="]deceitful above all things [/FONT][FONT="]and desperately wicked; [/FONT]who can understand it?

The way I see it, the tongue speaks what's in the heart. So which should be blamed, the tongue or the heart?
    If the heart is the source of what comes out of the mouth, both are responsible, but the heart is the source of the evil. Carrying out that evil with the tongue was viewed by James as something to be pointed out. It was going beyond mere premeditation--it was carrying out the deed. As such, not enough can be said about how dangerous our tongues are. We feel like we want to get even with someone who abuses us. But then we decide to lash out. That's very dangerous, because it's like spewing out gasoline and setting it on fire. It won't accomplish what we hope it to accomplish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    They work in tandem. The tongue reveals the heart. By listening to the tongue you get a good indication of someone's heart. James says that if one does not control their tongue their religion is vain.
    I beg to differ. One who controls their tongue and their heart is evil. Say what is in your heart with your tongue, and if your heart is evil, your tongue will expose your heart to the cleansing fire.

On the other hand, Jeremiah 17:9 described the heart as "[FONT="]deceitful above all things [/FONT][FONT="]and desperately wicked; [/FONT]who can understand it?

I would say the heart...because it is not only what is spoken but includes the thoughts as said in Ge 6:5 and Ge 8:21 only God can know the thoughts. So it goes deeper than the tongue speaking as even Jesus said was from the heart Mt 12:34

If the heart changes then the thoughts and tongue would change...so for my prayers I ask for a change of heart and to give me a heart like Jesus, who loved the Father with all his heart, soul, mind and did the Fathers will.

I think it is the heart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
    I would say the heart...because it is not only what is spoken but includes the thoughts as said in Ge 6:5 and Ge 8:21 only God can know the thoughts. So it goes deeper than the tongue speaking as even Jesus said was from the heart Mt 12:34

If the heart changes then the thoughts and tongue would change...so for my prayers I ask for a change of heart and to give me a heart like Jesus, who loved the Father with all his heart, soul, mind and did the Fathers will.

I think it is the heart.
    ...........Amen!

Blog Entries

So if one is able to control his tongue, he can silent the evil thoughts of his heart, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    If the heart is the source of what comes out of the mouth, both are responsible, but the heart is the source of the evil. Carrying out that evil with the tongue was viewed by James as something to be pointed out. It was going beyond mere premeditation--it was carrying out the deed. As such, not enough can be said about how dangerous our tongues are. We feel like we want to get even with someone who abuses us. But then we decide to lash out. That's very dangerous, because it's like spewing out gasoline and setting it on fire. It won't accomplish what we hope it to accomplish.
    Although, difficult sometimes, but if we can master control of the tongue, the evil thoughts of the heart will be kept in check. Therefore, if we can learn to take a breathe and not give in to the urge to lash out with hurtful words, we can also control the thoughts of the heart.

Blog Entries

I think it is the heart.
    You are correct. But James pointed out that by controlling the tongue, the evil thoughts of the heart can be controlled.

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

You are correct. But James pointed out that by controlling the tongue, the evil thoughts of the heart can be controlled.

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
    Well I don't want it controlled, my desire is to have a heart change. Then all would fit into place. If you are controlling then it is on you and you can slip up. With a heart change seems you wouldn't have to worry about the thoughts and tongue. Controlling points to me...a heart change would come from God.

My hope is in the Lord who can do all things, not me trying to control.

They even made a song about changing the heart and to be like God's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyGUYCn1k4

So if one is able to control his tongue, he can silent the evil thoughts of his heart, right?
    …….. Thinking about how I should take this.

Is it not advantageous to do away with the outward sin even if it doesn’t change the inward man? Or should we continue to sin outwardly because fixing the outside doesn’t change the inside?

But to answer your question ... physically controlling your tongue does have an effect on the heart.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Blog Entries

Well I don't want it controlled, my desire is to have a heart change. Then all would fit into place. If you are controlling then it is on you and you can slip up. With a heart change seems you wouldn't have to worry about the thoughts and tongue. Controlling points to me...a heart change would come from God.

My hope is in the Lord who can do all things, not me trying to control.

They even made a song about changing the heart and to be like God's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyGUYCn1k4
    All well and said, but a heart change is not down to God alone. The individual must consciously make the effort according to Phil 4:8. It is very easy to conveniently overlook our own responsibility for achieving that coveted Christ-like quality.

What James alluded by keeping the tongue in check is to prevent harmful utterances that once spoken, cannot be taken back.

Thread Information