Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When did the Comforter come?

Re: When did the Comforter come?

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    I don't see it related to the law but being exactly the same concept as we find in the NT except without the name of Christ attached. Faith in Christ and obeying him etc is being born again so in the OT it was faith in God and obeying him etc is being born again in the OT. There is law to adhere to in both covenants, they differ a lot but it isn't just adhering to the law of Christ that causes one to be born again...it's much more than that so I think the same about being born again in the OT.
    I do understand how the Law can be adhered to in a perfunctory, hollow way. And I realize that this was how the Law was practiced in Jesus' day. But I don't believe God ever intended the Law to be followed that way. In other, less irreligious times, I think some people did follow the Law sincerely, such as the Psalmists themselves!

I was looking into this now, and saw how the word for "again," in "born again," can also be translated, "born from above," or even "born anew." I think it refers to the return to the pristine environment of the Garden by an act of heaven. It is as though Nicodemus is asking, "How can we sinners be born as though we were sinless and innocent, as in the Garden of Eden?"

But I realize that Nicodemus was sort of being a smarta**, calling attention to Jesus' absurdity that one should be born from the womb a 2nd time. I think actually Nicodemus should've recognized that Jesus was speaking in spiritual terms, marking something spiritual through an otherwise physical example. The concept of redemption and purification should've been clear to him through his knowledge of the Law. Nicodemus should've realized that a new birth from God in heaven was possible, ie a "heavenly birth."

But thanks for your answer...

Blog Entries

Re: When did the Comforter come?

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Nicodemus should've realized that a new birth from God in heaven was possible, ie a "heavenly birth."
    He likely understood that. What he did not understand is how one could be born again on Earth while still mortal. He did not understand symbolic things like this despite this same idea being found in the OT.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Thread Information