• The 144,000 only

1 9.09%
  • All believers

7 63.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the bride?

Blog Entries

Who is the bride?

Please support your view with scriptures.

Blog Entries

Re: Who is the bride?

I voted the Church only, however scripture has the bridegroom as Jesus, but the Bride specifically referred to as the NJ. SO whomever is part of the first resurrection is the Bride.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    I voted the Church only, however scripture has the bridegroom as Jesus, but the Bride specifically referred to as the NJ. SO whomever is part of the first resurrection is the Bride.
    Thanks FHG. would these be part of the bride as well?

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Who do you think are the wedding guests?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Thanks FHG. would these be part of the bride as well?

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Who do you think are the wedding guests?
    These were OT saints, so if they became part of the Church then they will be part of the first resurrection of Rev 20:4 & 6.
    The Wedding Guests are those who are not getting married.
    The confusion over this phrase is because Jesus gave a parable about Wedding Guests, where the Guests were those who were in the Church. However in that parable there was no Bride.
    Yet a Wedding Guest is someone who sees the Bride and Groom marry - so in this case it is the entire world - that is those still alive, when Jesus returns.

The decisive scripture which answers this is not found in the New Testament. It is Genesis 2:18-23:

18 "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
    20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
    21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
    22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
    23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man."

Besides our Lord Jesus being the Eternal God, Second Person of the Tri-une God, co-inherent and co-existing with the Father and the Spirit, HE IS A MAN. And God said it is not good for a Man to be alone. So He caused the Man to sleep and took of His substance and made an "help MEET" for Him. "Help" means "Companion", and "Meet" means "up to the standard of". The Bride of the Man must
    1. come out of Him
    2. be of His substance
    3. be partaker of His nature

So the Bride of Christ must fulfill these three criteria.
    1. The Bride of Christ must come out of Him. So Ephesians 5:30 says; "For we (the sainsts at Ephesus and everywhere) are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
    2. The Bride of Christ must be of His Substance. So 1 Corinthians 6:17 says; "But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."
    3. The Bride of Christ must have His nature. So our Lord Jesus the Divine, took human nature (Heb.2:16), and we, in turn, through the New Birth, partake of the divine nature (2nd Pet.1:4)

Any man or woman who is born again (which is by FAITH) will ultimately be the Bride of Christ. The real question is, "When will this Bride be READY"? The Holy Spirit says, in the context of Man and wife, "That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish" (Ephesians 5:27). When will the Church be glorious, without spot and without wrinkle? Certainly not at the end of this age.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Yet a Wedding Guest is someone who sees the Bride and Groom marry - so in this case it is the entire world - that is those still alive, when Jesus returns.
    29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Who is the friend of the bridegroom?

Blog Entries

The Church Triumphant – the Bride of Christ:
    Will there be a time when the Church of the Living God, purchased by the blood of His Son, shines in purity and power before the Return of Jesus? The early Church had the right teaching and received the power of the Holy Spirit but sadly this did not last, as man inspired doctrines and traditions came in. But historians have been amazed at the ability of the true Christian Church to rejuvenate out of decay and to repeatedly revive throughout the ages. A holy remnant has always been in existence.

There are three main interpretations of the future fulfilment of the Church’s destiny:
    First, that it all will finally happen in heaven, after a ’rapture’. - The idea of a pre-wrath rapture or any removal of people to heaven before the Return is not found in Bible teachings.
    Second, it happens at the moment of the Return, as an instantaneous transformation of the character of His chosen people. - This is illogical and un-scriptural.
    Third, the Church is ready, prepared as His holy Bride, to greet their Lord Jesus with the shout of: ‘Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord!’ That there will be such a time on earth, when the Church: all who love the Lord and keep His commands, will ‘shine as jewels in His Land’, Zechariah 9:16, before the Return, is prophesied throughout the Old and New Testaments.

With many of those OT prophesies, for example Isaiah 54, that tells of the restoration of His people, accepted and re-settled back into all of the cleared and cleansed holy Land, Isaiah 62:1-5, the assumption has been that Jesus would be present by then. But Isaiah 54:10 & 16 talks about the Destroyer coming and the earth shaking, also Isaiah 30:25-30 tells of the Lord’s judgement of the nations with a devouring fire, but on that Day, the Lord will protect and save His people. These and many other prophesies match with the Sixth Seal, the Day of the Lord’s wrath, an event set to happen years before the glorious Return.

In Ephesians 4:11-16, Paul lists the gifts that the ascended Christ gave to His Church. Their purpose is to build up the worldwide body until His Return. In the early chapters of Acts, we read how, at that time, the Church had a real sense of unity, ‘they were of one heart and soul’, and they received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. The true Church before His Return will again have a complete unity of doctrine and agreement of belief. John 17:21

Hebrews 8:10-12 In the latter days I shall set My Laws in their hearts, they will not need to say: ‘know the Lord’, for all will understand the true Way of life. I shall forgive all their sins.
    We too, will be given the Holy Spirit at the great redemption and rejoining of Ezekiel 37. Joel 2:28-29, Ezekiel 36:26-27, Isaiah 59:21, Colossians 1:1-12
    Ezekiel 11:17-20 I shall gather My people from among the nations, bring you from the places to which you have been dispersed and give the holy Land to you. You will abandon all your un-righteous practices when I give you a one-ness of heart and a new Spirit. You will be My people and I will be your God. Joel 2:29, Romans 9:24-26 [By the same way that He was to ancient Israel.]

In the last days, before the Return, His people will live as a ‘light to the nations’, Isaiah 49:8. From them the 144,000 will be selected soon after the Sixth Seal, Rev. 7:1-14, to go out in pairs to the nations, proclaiming the coming Kingdom of Jesus. Luke 10:1-11 is the precursor to this. Joel 2:27 states ’You will know I am present in the holy Land’…. The Shekinah Glory will return to the new Temple. Ezekiel 43:4

Revelation 7:9-14 describes the righteous Church, from all races, tribes and languages, gathered in the holy Land, but note in verse 3, there is a time period of calm, that is: the Seventh Seal of about a Ĺ hour in heaven= 20 +/- years on earth, before Jesus Returns.

During those few years, when the Lord’s holy Christian people of His faithful Church, will be living in all of the holy Land in peace and prosperity, Isaiah 62:1-5, the rest of the nations will recover from the devastation of the Lord’s Day of vengeance and wrath. They will form a One World Government, with ten divisions, each headed by a President. Soon, a charismatic leader will rise and take over as a dictator. He will go to Beulah and negotiate a seven year treaty of peace with them. Daniel 9:27 This marks the commencement of the 70th ‘week’ of Daniels prophecy. At the mid-point, he will attack and conquer Beulah, , and place his own image in the new Temple. Sadly, many will allow this, Isaiah 28:14-15, but the faithful will be resolute and will stand firm during this testing time. Daniel 11:30-34
    Then, during the 3Ĺ year Great Tribulation, those true faithful ones, the ‘woman’ of Rev. 12:13-16, will be flown to a place of safety on earth. After all these prophesied events, the Lord Jesus will Return for His ‘bride’ - the Holy Church, gathered ‘from the earths farthest places’ - Matthew 24:31, and to commence His Millennial reign. Revelation 19:5-9

Rev 21:2
    2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    KJV

Rev 21:9-10
    9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, 'Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.'
    10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
    KJV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Who is the friend of the bridegroom?
    The friend was John the Baptist, who many think of as the last OT saint.

2nd Corinthians 1:1 and 11:2; "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia: ... For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ."

I added 1:1 to show who Paul was addressing - "all the saints". All believers are the future Bride of Christ.

So why then does this cause debate? The answer is TWOFOLD
    1. We have detailed Parables on the Marriage Feast with Guests - BUT NO BRIDE
    2. Ephesians 5:27 says that the Bride (or Wife - for that is the context) will be "presented not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." But even the most self assured Christian has a sneaking suspicion that he/she is NOT without "spot" or "blemish" or "wrinkle". And the Parables of Christ's judgement on His "servants", and especially His "Virgins", shows that many will be discovered to be "unfit" to be His Bride. If the "GUESTS" are found wanting and cast out (Matthew Chapter 22 and 25), what about the Bride?

A third dilemma occurs in Revelation 19. Here we have the Bride but it again revolves around a "garment". And this "garment" is said to be "the righteousness of the saints" - NOT "the righteousness of Christ". It is said that the Bride "made HERSELF ready" - NOT "she was made ready by Christ". And finally, the word for "marriage" in the Greek does NOT denote the ACT of marriage when TWO become ONE FLESH. The Greek word means " a FEAST" - one of those things where people gather, drink copious amounts of wine, and dance. Finally, it is said that, "... Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb." That implies that some where NOT CALLED.

And then, just to really make the mystery complete, Revelation 19 shows the Bride made ready, FOLLOWED by the Bride, in her white garment leaving heaven to fight Armageddon. Armageddon is at the end of THIS AGE. But when the Millennium is finished, we find the BRIDE "adorned" for her husband, but this is a thousand years later when God purges the old earth and institutes the "renewed" (Gk.) earth.

Some puzzle - or no?

Where do the Scriptures say that God has revoked covenants with nations? There is wording like that in Zech 11.10, but I don't think it implies a final revocation of all covenants with nations. On the other hand, God made an eternal covenant with nations here:
    Gen 17.4
    “As for me, this is my
    covenant
    with you: You will be the father of many
    nations."

And it is confirmed in the NT here:
    Rom 4.
    16 Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham’s offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who have the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.17 As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.” He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life
    to the dead and calls into being things that were not.

Last edited by randyk; Nov 19th 2018 at 12:09 PM.

The bible has many references regarding the bride, bridegroom, friend of the bridegroom, people invited to come to the wedding, the strangers at last who came later, the one sponsoring the wedding, servants of the one sponsoring the wedding, the location of the marriage, even the dinner.

In all the references below, the bible is consistent in describing each.

I love 1st reference regarding the parable of Jesus in Matthew 22:1-14; in my opinion is pretty clear describing these:
    • Jesus starts off by comparing the kingdom of heaven to the marriage.
    • In the parable, it seems obvious that Jesus was comparing the certain king to God who is the one in the parable throwing or sponsoring the wedding for his son.
    • His son, in this case is Christ Jesus.
    • He sent for his servants to call the bidden to come.
    • His servants are the profits and apostles.
    • The ones bidden to come was the seed of Abraham and/or of the 12 tribes of Israel.
    • The ones bidden did not come and then he sent other servants to them to let them know that he prepared a dinner.
    • The dinner was the Lords supper which is his flesh and blood which was shed for all them that would not come and all that would come to the wedding.
    • The ones who were bidden and would not come beat and killed the servants
    • The servants who were beat and killed are the prophets and apostles.
    • Then the king was angry and destroyed those murderers and burned up their city.
    • The burning of the city is rejection for those who do not accept Christ Jesus.
    • He sent more servants to go into the highways and as many as they can find (good and bad), to bid come to the wedding.
    • These in the highway (good and bad) are any that would believe on the name of Jesus (Jew or Gentile).
    • The wedding was furnished with guests which is the entire kingdom of God in the kingdom of heaven.
    • The king came in and saw a man who did not have on a wedding garment.
    • The one who did not have on a wedding garment was the one who was not washed by the blood of Jesus and/or those who rejected Christ Jesus.
    • The binding and casting out into outer darkness is eternal damnation.

Matthew 22:1-14
    1) And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
    2) The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
    3) And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
    4) Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
    5) But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
    6) And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
    7) But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
    8) Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
    9) Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
    10) So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
    11) And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
    12) And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
    13) Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    14) For many are called, but few are chosen.

Other scripture references pertaining to these are:
    John 3:29 - He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Ephesians 5:25 - Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Revelation 19:7-9 - Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Revelation 21:2 - And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Revelation 21:9 - And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

Quote Originally Posted by TMarcum View Post
    The bible has many references regarding the bride, bridegroom, friend of the bridegroom, people invited to come to the wedding, the strangers at last who came later, the one sponsoring the wedding, servants of the one sponsoring the wedding, the location of the marriage, even the dinner.

In all the references below, the bible is consistent in describing each.

• The king came in and saw a man who did not have on a wedding garment.
    • The one who did not have on a wedding garment was the one who was not washed by the blood of Jesus and/or those who rejected Christ Jesus.
    • The binding and casting out into outer darkness is eternal damnation.

Matthew 22:1-14
    11) And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
    12) And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
    13) Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    14) For many are called, but few are chosen.

I agree with most of what your posting reveals. It is just the above point which I understand differently. But first, to show my understanding we must notice that the Wedding Feast explains the Coming Kingdom of Heaven when Christ returns and institutes heavenly rule on earth. Thus, any one "called" and who heads the call, must be born again. The heard the call, believed it and acted on it. Hebrews 3:1 calls the Christians those of the "Heavenly Calling".

Next, we must define what a "garment" in Parable is. A Garment in Parable is WORKS (e.g. Psalm 73:6 109:18; Isaiah 59:17). Revelation 19:8 says it clearly, "... fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.".

And once that is defined we must see that the man of God must have TWO garments. Aaron, for his everyday WORKS, had the Law of Moses. But when He went into the Holy of Holies once a year on the Day of Atonement, and was before the presence of God, He had to have a special Garment. If he did not wear that soecial garment he was killed on the spot, for God is a Holy God and cannot have profane things in His company. So too the Christian has TWO garments.

(1) For his fellowship with God the Christian must approach God "in Jesus' Name. That is, he approaches God based on, and fully identifying with the WORKS of Jesus. That is called IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS. So both Romans 13:14 and Galatians 3:27 say severally;
    • 14 "But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."
    • 27 "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."

(2) For his daily walk in the Church and among the Nations, the Christian is expected to have "good works". So Ephesians 2:10 says; "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them".

Now, while the Christian must approach God in Jesus' Name with Jesus' righteousness, to enter the Kingdom he must produce HIS OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS or RIGHTEOUS WORKS. In Matthew 5:20 it is; "For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." In the Parables of the Talents and the Pounds, it was the PERFORMANCE of the servant that decided then entering the Kingdom. In Romans 14.10 and 2nd Corinthians 5:10 the Christian is judged on what HE/SHE DID.

The guest who was ejected, as shown above, obeyed the call, came with intent to the King's Son's wedding feast, took his place there, was BORN AGAIN and Baptized. But his WORKS were not up to standard. One can see that he knew this because when he was asked by the King about his garment "he was SPEECHLESS!" He offered NO EXCUSE!

Lastly, OUTER DARKNESS is only ever used in connection with God's people. The term "Outer Darkness" appears in;
    1. Matthew 8:12: "But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." The context is the Jews - God's People
    2. Matthew 22:13: "Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." This was a man who, as shown above, heeded the call, and entered the feast. He is, in every respect, the SAME as the other guests. He must be a Christian because he BELIEVED and ACTED on the call. ONLY his WORKS were wanting.
    3. Matthew 25:30: "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." In Matthew 25 the man is the same as the other servants. He is not only called a "servant" before the judgement, but after the judgement as well. He is given a Talent the same as the other servants, and has the same duty. He calls Jesus "Lord" in verse 24. And in verse 26 it is "HIS Lord". The servants were ALL Christians. Just one was slothful and demeaning to God's character.

"Outer Darkness" is never equated with Gehenna, "perdition", the Second Death and/or "the Lake of Fire". Much more it is the absence of the presence of Jesus. Our Lord Jesus is "light" and the "light of the world". When He returns in 2nd Peter 1:19 it is "day". And in Revelation 21.23 Jesus is the light of the New Jerusalem. So to be in "darkness" after our Lord Jesus has returned is to be sent away and parted from Jesus. The work "Outer" then comes because in ALL THREE cases the children of the Kingdom and/or the unfaithful servant was cast OUT of the presence of his Lord.

I propose that the guest in the Wedding Feast was a slothful Christian. We all know some. We might even be one ourselves. Look what it takes to be cast out of the coming Kingdom. Galatians 5:19-21 is addressed to Christians and is WORKS!

19 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Largely, I believe the Church is the Bride. However, before the beginning of the NT age, I believe Israel was the Bride. Today, the bride consists of all nations, including Israel, who make up the Church. Obviously this will exclude those among all nations who are not believers in Christ.

Is 49.18 Lift up your eyes and look around; all your children gather and come to you. As surely as I live,” declares the Lord, “you will wear them all as ornaments; you will put them on, like a bride.

62.5 As a young man marries a young woman, so will your Builder marry you; as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.

Eph 5.23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

Although we are presently the Bride of Christ, due to our deposit of his Spirit, the marriage will not be fully consummated until we receive new glorified bodies at the resurrection. That is why the marriage of Christ is depicted as taking place at the 2nd Coming.

Rev 21.9
    One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the
    wife
    of the Lamb.”

I think that when the New Jerusalem descends from heaven, the Church is already married, the marriage having taken place at Christ's return.

Rev 19.7
    Let us rejoice and be glad
    and give him glory!
    For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
    and his bride has made herself ready.

If Israel was the bride before the NT age then what about Adam ,Enoch, Noah, Abraham and Isaac?

There is only one bride made up of the faithful before and after the cross

All believers

Rev 21:2 9&10

Blog Entries

Question...…..

Rev 19
    7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
    8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
    9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

If the wife is the church how can she make herself ready before the 2nd coming?

it also appears the wife is separate than those whom are called to the marriage.?

My view is the 144,000 is the bride. The church are those called.

Thread Information